How'd I do?

Went shopping for a Mosin Nagant today. First stop was R&R guns in Belchertown, had no MN's but the sales guy said there would be acouple coming in next thursday.

Next up was the Ware Gun Shop, of which ive heard a bunch of great things. Go up to the surplus rifle rack and what do I see? A beutiful Mosin Nagant M44 in very good condition. Stock looks real good and the action was smooth. Picked her up for $160 which included a ammo pouch, sling, and tools, and a can of oil which had leaked oil all over everything in the bag.

All of the serial numbers match, and the bore looks great. Dated 1944 from the Izhevsk Arsenal. I figure the price was prolly high, but of all the stores I've been too, only one had a Mosin Nagant, a 1891/30 in ok shape, for about $60 less. And even though I just got my C&R, I havent been able to find any one that would ship to mass. [sad]

So how'd I do? Cannot wait to shoot her. [mg]

*edit*

Aparently its also a refurb, its got the square with the line threw it. Imported by Century.

Last edited:
It is a little steep for an M44 but the way I look at it is Russian M44 rifles are all over the place for mail order and the worst part about ordering through out of state dealers using your C&R license is that you don't have a chance to see what you're buying. Say you bought a Russian M44 advertised in vg condition for $70 and when it comes you notice the crown is worn, the bore is really frosty, the wood has a few gouges and chips, and the numbers don't even match. Sending it back costs you about $15 to $20, and its a crap shoot on what you'll get for a replacement.
What most local shops and auction dealers do is buy a package deal from Century Arms for about $30 to $40 a rifle and sell them off at much higher prices. Seems like a rip off, but thats how they make a buck and stay in business. We as gun owners/buyers support them and rightfully so because here in Massachusetts its hard being an FFL dealer and they provide us with ammo and firearms. If the rifle you bought looks good, you're happy with it and it didn't break your wallet, then I'd say you did ok.
Ya know its funny because I've only been collecting milsurps for about 3 years now and while I've found plenty of good deals and paid more than I should have when I started out, theres one thing everyone has said on forums that I can honestly say I know it to be true now. I can't count how many times I've read posts on other forums where people have said "Man I'm glad I bought mine years back when they were $xx cheaper". I can now say the same thing especially after a vendor I know told me I'd be saying the same thing when talking to a newbie milsurp buyers one day. [wink]
I think I remember reading in one of your posts that you are under 21. That alone will stop many places from sending to you even with a C&R license. Being over 21, having an LTC, providing a driver's license for proof of age, all things that many companies now require just to ship you rifles. I sent you a link in a PM a while back that listed some dealers in milsurp firearms. My advice is try them all until you find one that will ship to you and if one of them has something you really want that you can't find around here, have it shipped to an FFL here in Mass. The $20 or $30 transfer fee you'll pay will still equal out to a good price for a rifle that may cost you much more at a show or shop. And if you do find one at a show or shop, never be afraid to haggle, even if you politely offer a reason for haggling like a frosty bore, missmatched number, gouged stock, whatever. If a rifle has a tag of $160 on it, ask him if he'll take $120. Usually the seller will either take it, offer it for slightly less, or offer to throw in some ammo.
Enjoy the M44 and don't forget to disasemble and clean it first and clean accordingly afterwards for corrosive ammo if shooting some. One more thing, try shooting it with the bayonet extended in the fixed position and folded. No matter what kind of looks you may get at the range just tell em' this... these rifles were often sighted in with the bayonets in the fixed position. Sometimes it makes all the diference in the size groups you'll get, plus its fun and looks damn cool. [smile]
Post some pics if you can.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
It is a little steep for an M44 but the way I look at it is Russian M44 rifles are all over the place for mail order and the worst part about ordering through out of state dealers using your C&R license is that you don't have a chance to see what you're buying. Say you bought a Russian M44 advertised in vg condition for $70 and when it comes you notice the crown is worn, the bore is really frosty, the wood has a few gouges and chips, and the numbers don't even match. Sending it back costs you about $15 to $20, and its a crap shoot on what you'll get for a replacement.
What most local shops and auction dealers do is buy a package deal from Century Arms for about $30 to $40 a rifle and sell them off at much higher prices. Seems like a rip off, but thats how they make a buck and stay in business. We as gun owners/buyers support them and rightfully so because here in Massachusetts its hard being an FFL dealer and they provide us with ammo and firearms. If the rifle you bought looks good, you're happy with it and it didn't break your wallet, then I'd say you did ok.
Ya know its funny because I've only been collecting milsurps for about 3 years now and while I've found plenty of good deals and paid more than I should have when I started out, theres one thing everyone has said on forums that I can honestly say I know it to be true now. I can't count how many times I've read posts on other forums where people have said "Man I'm glad I bought mine years back when they were $xx cheaper". I can now say the same thing especially after a vendor I know told me I'd be saying the same thing when talking to a newbie milsurp buyers one day. [wink]
I think I remember reading in one of your posts that you are under 21. That alone will stop many places from sending to you even with a C&R license. Being over 21, having an LTC, providing a driver's license for proof of age, all things that many companies now require just to ship you rifles. I sent you a link in a PM a while back that listed some dealers in milsurp firearms. My advice is try them all until you find one that will ship to you and if one of them has something you really want that you can't find around here, have it shipped to an FFL here in Mass. The $20 or $30 transfer fee you'll pay will still equal out to a good price for a rifle that may cost you much more at a show or shop. And if you do find one at a show or shop, never be afraid to haggle, even if you politely offer a reason for haggling like a frosty bore, missmatched number, gouged stock, whatever. If a rifle has a tag of $160 on it, ask him if he'll take $120. Usually the seller will either take it, offer it for slightly less, or offer to throw in some ammo.
Enjoy the M44 and don't forget to disasemble and clean it first and clean accordingly afterwards for corrosive ammo if shooting some. One more thing, try shooting it with the bayonet extended in the fixed position and folded. No matter what kind of looks you may get at the range just tell em' this... these rifles were often sighted in with the bayonets in the fixed position. Sometimes it makes all the diference in the size groups you'll get, plus its fun and looks damn cool. [smile]
Post some pics if you can.

Thanks for the info, and yep Im only 19 unfortunatly. btw, i got the big packet of all the info books and stuff from the ATF, but typicaly how long does it take to for the actual License to arrive? thanks

And it looks so badass with the bayonet extended[devil] Goes good with my SKS too. Just gotta keep telling my parents to consider it as an investment.[wink]

OAR348 said:
Thanks for the info, and yep Im only 19 unfortunatly. btw, i got the big packet of all the info books and stuff from the ATF, but typicaly how long does it take to for the actual License to arrive? thanks

And it looks so badass with the bayonet extended[devil] Goes good with my SKS too. Just gotta keep telling my parents to consider it as an investment.[wink]

Its been so long I can't remember but I think it takes about a week or two.
As for the investment thing... I keep telling my wife the same thing.[smile]
Just wait till ya start craving milsurp accessories. You wind up getting spoiled by these rifles that come with the goodies. Once you pick one up with nothing, you start thinking "Shit... I gotta get a sling, a bayonet, and maybe even another ammo pouch" [laugh]

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Its been so long I can't remember but I think it takes about a week or two.
As for the investment thing... I keep telling my wife the same thing.[smile]
Just wait till ya start craving milsurp accessories. You wind up getting spoiled by these rifles that come with the goodies. Once you pick one up with nothing, you start thinking "Shit... I gotta get a sling, a bayonet, and maybe even another ammo pouch" [laugh]

lol, my dad saw the bayonet and asked me if it was legal.[laugh2] Only thing I really need is some stripper clips, you know a good place to get some from? And of course more ammo, only got bout 1700 rds of 7.62x39 and 202 of 7.62x54 and a brick of .22lr.[smile]

Mosin stripper clips have usually been a shot in the dark with some working well, others being crap. Myself i'd stay away from them. Something about stripper clips and rimmed cartridges that just don't mix as well as 5 rounds of Yugo or Turk stripper clip packed 8mm sliding into the action of a Mauser rifle. Theres actually a way to load rimmed cartridges to ensure feeding properly in both rifle magazines and stripper clips. I'm sure someone here has a link to an image showing how.
As for ammo, hit the next gun show nearest you. Chances are the NY brothers will be there with cases of various 7.62x54 along with anything else you could need. Theres been times that I've gone to gun shows and spent $300+ on ammo alone and not even blinked at guns. Theres nothing worse than wanting to go shooting and you don't have ammo for what you really want to shoot. Stock up, store your ammo legally, and read the sticky JonJ made about cleaning up after shooting corrosive milsurp ammo.

*update*

Well me and some buddies did a 4th of July shoot yesterday and I finaly got a chance to shoot my M44. This rifle is friggin awesome, way more fun than my SKS. The blast and report were amazing coming from a gun made in 1944 and ammo made in 1964. Pretty accurate too.

Anyways, I was shooting Czech. Silver Tip, is this considered a 'light recoil' load? The recoil didn't seem to bad at all.[thinking]

I've got an M44 too and from all the reading I've done I don't think you'll be able to get any "Light recoil loads" ...[thinking] Unless of course you start loading your own.

Czech Silver Tip is 150 grain, and is considered "light", when compared to Hungarian Neavy Ball (about 180 gr). Definite increase in recoil. I usually shoot Albanian myself, since I get it cheap enough. The stuff I get is 150 grain, but, I'd say it wasn't light recoiling.

In the "Dragunov" (RomAK 3), I shoot handloads to get non-corrosive priming. I use loads that are a little faster than 308 ammo, and use 147 or 150 grain bullets.

There was some stuff out a while back that was called hollow core ammo. I think it was Czech or Polish and was used for either urban enviorments or training. Max effectiveness and accuracy was 300 yards. Very little recoil and lots of fun to shoot from what I heard. I'd love to find some.

The stuff that me and MrTwigg have is either Polish or Hungarian light ball. It has a "21" headstamp, copper jacketed bullet with no color on the tip, designating it as an LPS projectile, which scales in at about 150 grains.

As for the '44s muzzle blast, ask Tele_mark what it was like being between myself and MrTwigg at the EMD shoot on 7/1/06.

Collector's Firearms and Militaria in Pelham just got some 7.62x54R in, 4 tins total. It's all 180 grain type D heavy Hungarian ball.I plan on picking some up and seeing how it performs at extended ranges.

Let me know if you find any strippers, as I would give my left arm for a couple!

Nashmack said:
I myself am looking for Mosins. Where'd you find your's Pilgrim?

I honestly can't remember where theycame from. I bought them online from a well known dealer as I remember but whichone I forgot. They aren't much good though, I'm not happy with them. Fortunately they were cheap and I didn't get many.

Back
Top Bottom