How would this email make you feel??

How would you feel if you were a student on this campus? I am and am there everyday for many hours and often take night classes.

Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:06:38 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
To:
Subject: PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT

PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT

When issues of concern arise that affect the UMass Boston campus, it is our practice to inform our community through a Public Safety Alert.

Between Friday, June 25, and Sunday, June 27, three separate incidents of late-night gunfire were reported in the vicinity of UMass Boston’s Bayside property. No injuries were reported.

Harbor Point Security is aware of these incidents, and the Boston Police Department is conducting an investigation of the incidents. UMass Boston police will increase patrols of the area, and members of the university community are advised to exercise caution in the area and to call 911 immediately if they observe anything suspicious.

The university will close the Bayside parking lot to all vehicular traffic for the July 4th weekend as a safety precaution. The closure will take effect at noon on Friday, July 2, and continue to noon on Tuesday, July 6. Pedestrian access will not be affected.

If you have any questions or concerns please call Customer Service at 617-287-4000.

I went to high school next door and that whole area is beyond help and has been for at least the last 20 years. Getting mugged on the walk to JFK was a rite of passage.

Don't forget to get your school approved whistle, that way if you get in trouble you can blow it to get help.

playing devils advocate: how do we know it was gunfire? It is firework season.

I agree with you 100%. At the same time it was bold of UMASS to document this sort of thing if it wasnt real gunfire. I would not be surprised if it was people playing with guns in the abandon expo center. Who knows it just sucks that normal law abiding citizens are not allowed to protect themselves in certain places.

The neighborhood surrounding Umass Boston is bad news.. Don't stray too far off campus unless you are leaving the area, and you will be fine.. My daughter is also at Umass..

The neighborhood surrounding Umass Boston is bad news.. Don't stray too far off campus unless you are leaving the area, and you will be fine.. My daughter is also at Umass..

Its not a safe place! It seems that there are more of the undesirable types during the summer sessions also!

Back
Top Bottom