• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to read a map and compass

GunGrey

Banned
Does anyone in here know of any classes that teach map and compass use. I've already checked the masswildlife site and its has no updates. I understand its winter but thanks to prior dealings with masswildlife classes you need to book so far inadvance.

I have some dealing with reading topo maps from hunting and fishing. But I have no clue how to use a compass.

Also any links you guys can post are also welcome

The MassWildlife course dates are being finalized right now and should be announced soon. I will post here when they're released.

See if you can find an older edition Boy Scout Handbook. They've got some good solid introductory info in them. Couple it with the Army manual and you're GTG.

Geocaching is great, and, I have heard of folks that do it with a map & compass-but, you need to have already developed those skills. The activity is an awesome one-I myself am a cacher-but you need some pretty advanced map reading skills to jump right into that activity (of course, with a GPS, you just need be understand how to use the GPS...). Orienteering courses will give you the basics, and allow you to practice them on their courses. Some towns even offer local classes on it, for hunters & the like. I know Templeton MA used to, not sure if they still do or not. Hell, if you live relatively close to me, I can teach you :)

Join a scout troop as a volunteer leader. You will learn about Map and compass, pacing, distance estimation, much more then you are asking for.

Back
Top Bottom