• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Popular/Respected is Sec/Def Mattis with the Military?

Do you feel that Sec/Def Mattis is popular with and respected by the military?

• Total voters

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am asking this in the Military Forum to try to gauge SecDef Mattis' popularity and respect with the troops and veterans.

Simply put, Popular, Neutral, Unpopular, No opinion.

Have at it. Written opinions also welcomed, as long as we can keep it within Forum rules and bounds.

I haven't heard anything about him one way or another as a SecDef; he doesn't seem to have much impact on daily life or year-to-year life for .mil personnel from my perspective.

He seems more popular with the non-military citizens who cheerlead for the military.

SECDEF Mattis’ Speech to Cadets at Virginia Military Institute 1 hour 6 mins

SECDEF Mattis' Speech to Cadets at Virginia Military Institute - USNI News

I'm impressed by his quals, but have no point of reference to offer an opinion other than that. I do prefer career service people in that office over civilians.

James N. Mattis became the 26th Secretary of Defense on January 20, 2017.

A native of Richland, Washington, Secretary Mattis enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve at the age of 18. After graduating from Central Washington University in 1971, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps.

During his more than four decades in uniform, Secretary Mattis commanded Marines at all levels, from an infantry rifle platoon to a Marine Expeditionary Force. He led an infantry battalion in Iraq in 1991, an expeditionary brigade in Afghanistan after the 9/11 terror attack in 2001, a Marine Division in the initial attack and subsequent stability operations in Iraq in 2003, and led all U.S. Marine Forces in the Middle East as Commander, I Marine Expeditionary Force and U.S. Marine Forces Central Command.

During his non-combat assignments, Secretary Mattis served as Senior Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense; as Director, Marine Corps Manpower Plans & Policy; as Commanding General, Marine Corps Combat Development Command; and as Executive Secretary to the Secretary of Defense.

As a joint force commander, Secretary Mattis commanded U.S. Joint Forces Command, NATO’s Supreme Allied Command for Transformation, and U.S. Central Command. At U.S. Central Command, he directed military operations of more than 200,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, Marines and allied forces across the Middle East.

Following his retirement from the U.S. Marine Corps in 2013, Secretary Mattis served as the Davies Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, specializing in the study of leadership, national security, strategy, innovation, and the effective use of military force. In 2016, he co-edited the book, Warriors & Citizens: American Views of Our Military.

I'm pretty much irrelevant having retired 30 years ago although he's one hell of an improvement over the buffoon Robert Strange McNamara who should NEVER have been the SecDef during Vietnam or at any time for that matter. I 100% agree with smokey-seven that the position should belong to a career military person versus a REMF like McNamara.

Marine veterans love his straight talk/straight action. He may not be Chesty Puller incarnate or the second coming of Christ, but he is only a notch down on the rung.

What’s not to like? The guy is the real deal.

he's one hell of an improvement over the buffoon Robert Strange McNamara who should NEVER have been the SecDef during Vietnam or at any time for that matter.

Hmmmm McNamara.... he is one higher on my hate list at #1, right above Hanoi Jane. He ran the Edsel program at Ford, went on to be a catastrophic sec def for Nam and then went on to run the world bank while Carter ran the interest rates to 18%. Quite a track record.

I haven't heard anything about him one way or another as a SecDef; he doesn't seem to have much impact on daily life or year-to-year life for .mil personnel from my perspective.

He seems more popular with the non-military citizens who cheerlead for the military.

First off I am not a Military bubba, just saw the thread and figured I would reply.

In my opinion of what little I know of him he seems like a man of character and strength. The country needs men like him.

Here is a short story for you.
https://redoubtnews.com/2016/12/general-mattis-christmas-story/

A General Mattis Christmas Story
A couple of months ago, when I told General Krulak, the former Commandant of the Marine Corps, now the chair of the Naval Academy Board of Visitors, that we were having General Mattis speak this evening, he said, “Let me tell you a Jim Mattis story.” General Krulak said, when he was Commandant of the Marine Corps, every year, starting about a week before Christmas, he and his wife would bake hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of Christmas cookies. They would package them in small bundles.

Then on Christmas day, he would load his vehicle. At about 4 a.m., General Krulak would drive himself to every Marine guard post in the Washington-Annapolis-Baltimore area and deliver a small package of Christmas cookies to whatever Marines were pulling guard duty that day. He said that one year, he had gone down to Quantico as one of his stops to deliver Christmas cookies to the Marines on guard duty. He went to the command center and gave a package to the lance corporal who was on duty.

He asked, “Who’s the officer of the day?” The lance corporal said, “Sir, it’s Brigadier General Mattis.” And General Krulak said, “No, no, no. I know who General Mattis is. I mean, who’s the officer of the day today, Christmas day?” The lance corporal, feeling a little anxious, said, “Sir, it is Brigadier General Mattis.”

General Krulak said that, about that time, he spotted in the back room a cot, or a daybed. He said, “No, Lance Corporal. Who slept in that bed last night?” The lance corporal said, “Sir, it was Brigadier General Mattis.”

About that time, General Krulak said that General Mattis came in, in a duty uniform with a sword, and General Krulak said, “Jim, what are you doing here on Christmas day? Why do you have duty?” General Mattis told him that the young officer who was scheduled to have duty on Christmas day had a family, and General Mattis decided it was better for the young officer to spend Christmas Day with his family, and so he chose to have duty on Christmas Day.

General Krulak said, “That’s the kind of officer that Jim Mattis is.”

The story above was told by Dr. Albert C. Pierce, the Director of the Center for the Study of Professional Military Ethics at The United States Naval Academy. He was introducing General James Mattis who gave a lecture on Ethical Challenges in Contemporary Conflict in the spring of 2006. This was taken from the transcript of that lecture.

At NATO and CENTCOM he was considered smart, hard-working, and living the adage “Mission First, Men Always.”

So yes, respected.

Back
Top Bottom