• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How NOT to call a lawyer for advice

Scrivener

Banned
1. Don't identify yourself. Attorneys just love being interrupted by total strangers demanding free advice.

2. Call seeking advice for someone else. Attorneys enjoy practicing "proxy law" by getting usually-specious information from intermeddling third parties with no standing.

3. Call an attorney referred by an organization you aren't a member of, expecting the same benefits. Attorneys who offer free consultations to, say, GOAL members really enjoy calls from non-members who expect the same privileges as those who actually support gun rights.

4. Call utterly unprepared. Attorneys have absolutely nothing better to do than wait for you to rummage around a drawer 3 rooms away to find the letter, application or other document you're calling about, but didn't bother to get before you called

5. Argue about the law. Attorneys enjoy stimulating conversations about the laws they deal daily from people who don't, but insist upon disputing the opinion they called to get.

6. Be completely clueless about changes that occurred years ago and which you should have been aware of. Attorneys truly enjoy listening to rants about the law by people just learnng about Chapter 180. This is the "Fudd Rule."

7. Don't listen to the answer you called to get. Attorneys have no higher calling than to take a call, listen to the caller, provide the answer requested, only to have that caller completely mistate, misrepresent or ignore that advice.

8. Call from a cell phone while driving or while at work. Attorneys enjoy the challenge of trying to ascertain your point while you are cut off, fade out, drowned out or interrupted.

Mods may wish to make this a "sticky." [wink]

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask someone this...

The guy at the gun shop sez it's okay to own LEO restricted mags with my FID card. Do I need to register these on an FA-10?

Then there is the definition of the ideal client, attributed to the late Edward B. Hanify: the fellow who pays your reasonable hourly rate for sound advice, which he receives and ignores, and who then pays your reasonable hourly rate again to get him out of the trouble he caused by not following the advice.

Then there is the definition of the ideal client, attributed to the late Edward B. Hanify: the fellow who pays your reasonable hourly rate for sound advice, which he receives and ignores, and who then pays your reasonable hourly rate again to get him out of the trouble he caused by not following the advice.

Works for me!

Hey Scriv

I got this buddy who wants to go feral cat hunting in Brighton this weekend.

I called PITA to see if there was any problem with that and they told me to call you.

Hold on, I'm getting another call.

OK, I'm back. Are you still there?

Anyway, me and my grandfather used to hunt cat in the North End back in the 50's so I know it's OK, but I promised him I would ask somebody anyway.

We used a Winchester 94 .30-30 back then so I'm sure it's OK now. Anyway, I told him to bring it.

Well, got to go, I'm at the grocery store. See what you can find out and I'll give you a call back next week. Bye.

:)

I've been meaning to ask someone this...

The guy at the gun shop sez it's okay to own LEO restricted mags with my FID card. Do I need to register these on an FA-10?

That's funny...I was actually told by gunshop owner that it's legal to own LEO mags now. He said " since the ban is over, any LEO marked mags that were in Mass. are now legal to possess, you just can't own new LEO marked ones."

[rofl]

1. Don't identify yourself. Attorneys just love being interrupted by total strangers demanding free advice.

2. Call seeking advice for someone else. Attorneys enjoy practicing "proxy law" by getting usually-specious information from intermeddling third parties with no standing.

3. Call an attorney referred by an organization you aren't a member of, expecting the same benefits. Attorneys who offer free consultations to, say, GOAL members really enjoy calls from non-members who expect the same privileges as those who actually support gun rights.

4. Call utterly unprepared. Attorneys have absolutely nothing better to do than wait for you to rummage around a drawer 3 rooms away to find the letter, application or other document you're calling about, but didn't bother to get before you called

5. Argue about the law. Attorneys enjoy stimulating conversations about the laws they deal daily from people who don't, but insist upon disputing the opinion they called to get.

6. Be completely clueless about changes that occurred years ago and which you should have been aware of. Attorneys truly enjoy listening to rants about the law by people just learnng about Chapter 180. This is the "Fudd Rule."

7. Don't listen to the answer you called to get. Attorneys have no higher calling than to take a call, listen to the caller, provide the answer requested, only to have that caller completely mistate, misrepresent or ignore that advice.

8. Call from a cell phone while driving or while at work. Attorneys enjoy the challenge of trying to ascertain your point while you are cut off, fade out, drowned out or interrupted.

Mods may wish to make this a "sticky." [wink]

Bad day at work Buddy?
It could be worse. Here's the definition of a bad day for an engineer:

It could be worse. Here's the definition of a bad day for an engineer:

I first saw that flick at USNA during my engineering dynamics class. A few years later I was posted to the USS Nimitz at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and drove the new and improved version of that bridge many times. All the while that movie kept replaying in my head. [shocked]

The next time you're driving across any bridge or in any tall building, keep in mind that with the right wind speed (not necessarily high) aeroelastic flutter and natural resonance can do essentially the same thing to most any structure. [wink]

Ken

Looks like the Tacoma River Bridge disaster in, what, '49?
Yep, November 7, 1940. Saw this in General Engineering class in college. Made it quite clear that engineering wasn't just fun and games with larger tinker toys and erector sets. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom