HOW DO YOU GET RUST OFF OF A GUN BARREL???

I am trying to clean up 4 guns that my boss has given me for that purpose.

The first is a winchester 94 30/30, the second is a mosin nagant, the third is a winchester model 270 .22, and the last is a 22 bolt action. the finish on all these firearms is blued steel. they range from light surface rust to heavy rust and pitting.

I was thinking steel wool and some new bluing but have never attempted a finish repair. any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks, Dave

[email protected]
781-439-9942

I start with burlap cloth and oil, and if I need more, I'll use a brass brush again with oil.

Heavy rust and pitting usually requires metal removal or filling depending on metal thickness.

Steel wool works for surface rust, but yeah, for pitting you'll need to do something more extreme, which will run the risk of compromising the barrel's structural integrity (more than it already is by the pitting)

I start with burlap cloth and oil, and if I need more, I'll use a brass brush again with oil.

I pretty much do the same thing, minus the burlap (I used a rag). If you can get away with it, I always start with a nylon brush first to avoid doing damage where possible. If the rust is too heavy that the nylon doesn't cut it, change to the brass brush. I had to remove rust from an old Winchester model 94 30-30. It looks spotless now, but it didn't have any pitting to begin with.

ETA: you will be surprised how much rust comes off simply by using a little oil.

Last edited:
6784185.JPG

Naval Jelly or try Burchwood's "rust and blue remover" from a kit at Dick's or any gun shop. After several soakings and rubbing with 00 steel wool you'll be shocked how much better it will appear. Wipe it down with a damp rag, dry it then apply cold blue. Wait, wipe again with steel wool, damp cloth, dry and blue again. You may not be able to get the finish smooth if the pitting was bad but you will be able to clean out the rust and the bluing will stop it from coming back because it is actually a chemical reaction with the metal. Once the blue is dark enough or even enough for you genlty wipe again with steel wool, then oil it up. You'll be amazed! I just did this with an ignored single shot 12 gauge I was given and it looks new! This reminds me I need to post some pictures! [wink] Have fun! I enjoy restoring stuff like this more than shooting.

for very light surface rust pitting I had good results with 0000 steel wool. I pulled a glob from the pad and wrapped it around a wood q-tip. Then used the wool covered q-tip to hit the little spots. precision buffing!

On buffed steel (no bluing) I use a little mother's mag wheel cleaner after but I don't think you should use it on the bluing.

Then oil it down real good after.

Try Flitz or Simichrome on a cloth before going to steel wool.

The bigger problem is what to do after the rust is gone. Cold bluing isn't bad, but some gun cleaning solvents will remove it. Might look at finding someone who can apply a more permanant finish. Some of the bake on ones are not bad if you have a place to use them.

I would soak the bores in CLP over night and let the stuff work its magic. Then use a brass brush and then swab it out with patches. Concerning the surface rust take some 0000 steel wool and soak the wool with CLP and gently try to rub the surface rust down. You can't do much for the pitting except cold blue and make sure its always coverd with protectant.

Back
Top Bottom