How did you learn to reload???

Totally self-taught [shocked].

I had to learn because I inherited my Granddad's closet of rifles which included some 30-40 Krags, a 35Whelen-Improved and an R2-Lovell (a wildcat of a wildcat of the 25-20 Single-Shot).

I bought the Speer, Nosler and Hornady reloading books and also read every magazine article I saw on the subject.

I learned to reload from Al Gore, right before he invented the internet, which was a while before he invented global warming.[wink]

Seriously, I got into it a couple years ago after a lot of research. It seemed like something I could do, so I shopped around for used equipment, liked the process, and it's been steadily growing ever since.

I think the worst thing I've done so far was sell my big Lyman lead furnace when I was kind of hard-up for cash. I really miss that thing.

casting/reloading

at 13 got a gilbert toy soldier electric casting kit.thenfriend lent me a 73 win and tong tool and mold.what do you mean you cant use pulled 06 powder.
went in service and in 1945 we got loading tool a Modern Bond "C" press and molds.only lyman and belding and mull,and modern Bond books.then got Phill Sharps book.loaded 9 mm for my luger with # 5 dupont.dillon was not born then.Lyman were tong tools,before the 310.never heard of Pacific.nor Potter.

Reloading

I was lucky enough to have a mentor. I got my licence (after FID cards etc.) expired. Joined a club, got into action shooting, made some great friends who reloaded & the rest is history.

I'm lucky I stocked up back in the day but my biggest mistake was not buying more supplys when everything was cheap and available.

Last edited:
A late friend of mine bought a Square Deal back about 20 years ago and taught me how to set it up and reload on it. A few years later I bought a Lee Pro 1000 which turned out to turn me off on reloading. I sold it and decided to buy a 550B in 2002 which I'll never regret doing. I was into GlockTalk pretty heavy back then and I'd guess I'd say I learned more talking to those guys than from any place else. Used to be some pretty smart guys on there. Most of them have since moved on to Glock Post and Cast Boolits.

I asked a lot of questions and saw different equipment firsthand. Decided which company to go with (Hornady LnL) and asked more questions. Started to obtain components while waiting for my gear and reading more books. Then I was off and running.

Back
Top Bottom