How can I identify loaded ammunition?

I purchased a large amount of loaded ammunition from an estate some time ago. Does anyone know of a source I can use to identify what I have. I have a pair of digital calipers.

thanks

Steve,

Two sources:

- Headstamps: http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

- Dimensions: "Cartridges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes, Published by Krause and available at the Norwood Building 19 for $5.98 the last time I was there (last week). Excellent resource. It has a table by dimensions in the back of the book plus text with description and measurements in the front of the book.

Thank you for all the help. Here are a few pics of the really old stuff:

old ammo 1.jpg

old ammo 2.jpg

The two little ones look like .32 short rimfire and the center one looks like a .38 S&W. My guess.

No, to long for a .38 S&W.

Last edited:
The biggest one looks like an old bottle-necked rimfire, maybe a .38/40???
That one is centerfire, inside primed. See the crimp above the rim, it holds the priming cup in position.
Some dimensions, esp. bullet diameter and case length would make it possible to ID the cartridges.

Bullet diameters and case lengths (cute Autocad trick)
#1 .37 cal, 1.66 case length
#2 .44 cal, 0.70 case length
#3 .54 cal, 1.37 case length
#4 .51 cal, 1.81 case length
#5 .44 cal, 0.67 case length
These are based on scaling the bitmaped images so could vary +/- .01

Bullet diameters and case lengths (cute Autocad trick)
#1 .37 cal, 1.66 case length
#2 .44 cal, 0.70 case length
#3 .54 cal, 1.37 case length
#4 .51 cal, 1.81 case length
#5 .44 cal, 0.67 case length
These are based on scaling the bitmaped images so could vary +/- .01

From Cartridges of the World book and above dimensions (book dimensions given below):

1. 35-30 Maynard (1882) .359/1.63
2. 44 Short .336/.688
3. 50-50 Maynard 1882 .512/1.37
4. 50-70 Gov't .512/1.72
5. same as 2. above

These are the most likely suspects based on info above and dimensions in the book.

Old Ammo

That stuff looks like a bunch of old Ammo that my next door nieghbor found in his barn. We thru it all it the bonfire outback to get rid of it so the kids would not play with it. Is it worth anything?

I still have a few paper boxes of old .22 shorts and they work!

I read a long time ago in Field and Stream that it was reccomended to throw old unwanted ammo in the river to get rid of it. I would imagine that the brass would corrode quick enough.

That stuff looks like a bunch of old Ammo that my next door nieghbor found in his barn. We thru it all it the bonfire outback to get rid of it so the kids would not play with it. Is it worth anything?

Some of these old cartridges sell for high prices.
The inside primed cases are quite unusual.
$1 - $5 each for the common ones and a lot more for the rare or historically significant ones.

Massnee,
If you have extras of these, I would be interested.
TIA, Jack

Back
Top Bottom