How can I find a list of firearms registered to me in MA?

Not my firearm. Looking to purchase from a non-LTC (widow) so the sale has to go through an FFL. There is a revolver not on the roster that I would need to prove was in MA before '98. The seller can't find the original docs.

How old is the gun? Who made it? You might be better off just calling around and asking dealers about what they require for that kind of a transfer rather than assume that all have the same "proof" requirements.

-Mike

I have returned 2 handguns to a manufacturer (directly via FedEx) out of state, as I have rejected them. It is my assumption the manufacturer will destroy them, but I have no evidence.
I have a paper trail of events for both items, but after calling Chelsea, who didn't really know what to do, I have nothing 'registered regarding these returns with the MA system.

For folks entering this world in recent times, like me, the assumption is, it's a MA gun registration, but the wise learned folk on here, correctly advise it a record of transfers and a 'dogs dinner' of a system at that!
It's a natural thought to be sure the gun you owned and now sold is no longer register to /recorded transferred to another person.

It still concerns me I have returned these handguns and no transfer recorded............

It still concerns me I have returned these handguns and no transfer recorded............

All you really want is a record of it going to the vendor and the time/date/etc. If there's a trace you can say "Well I don't have that gun, I returned it to so and so who accepted delivery on blah blah blah. "

This really isn't an MA thing, either, at that level.

-Mike

Why would you do something that is not legally required? Not to mention draws attention to parties not under the purview of MA law? (Protip: Selling a gun to (or via) a dealer outside of MA is none of MA government's ****ing business. Period. ) Not to mention if you do it wrong (although the entire idea is wrong, so this is sort of a non-escapable condition) you could be exposing yourself to unwanted attention from your oddball FA-10 filing getting flagged in their system. )

Because MA disputes the legality of not making the filing, as Len points out, and by making the filing I am not relying on the dealer to maintain appropriate records of the transfer. If I transfer through a dealer for an out-of-state sale, then the FA-10 that I file shows I sold to my MA dealer (I'm seller, dealer is buyer). Both parties are already subject to the purview of MA law. I see no red flags here. MA doesn't view it as oddball b/c as Len points out, MA expects that you are doing an FA-10 for this kind of transaction (despite the statute). If the ultimate transferee is a MA resident, then the dealer will file an FA-10 showing the sale by the dealer to the buyer. I see no need to file my own FA-10 for that.

Because MA disputes the legality of not making the filing, as Len points out

Yes, some flack at EOPS/CJIS, not MA case law, or an entity that actually has binding authority to make such determinations.

f I transfer through a dealer for an out-of-state sale, then the FA-10 that I file shows I sold to my MA dealer (I'm seller, dealer is buyer). Both parties are already subject to the purview of MA law. I see no red flags here

Why on earth would you use an MA dealer for an out of state sale? (Maybe if the remote doesn't take direct shipments, maybe.... but even then..) Even then, according to the bullshit in S128A/B, once it touches the dealer, you're exempt regardless, even under MA law. Get a reciept like a normal human being and call it a day. [laugh] Making things mindlessly complicated helps no-one.

-Mike

Get a reciept like a normal human being and call it a day. Making things mindlessly complicated helps no-one.

I perceive that having a second receipt -- the FA-10 -- is more helpful to me than harmful. It's a two-second filing and gives me piece of mind that I am not relying on the dealer or me not losing the dealer receipt. We all know that if we were in a normal state we would not have any of this to worry about. But alas...

I perceive that having a second receipt -- the FA-10 -- is more helpful to me than harmful. It's a two-second filing and gives me piece of mind that I am not relying on the dealer or me not losing the dealer receipt. We all know that if we were in a normal state we would not have any of this to worry about. But alas...

Whatever suits you I guess, I just think giving the state more information that they're not entitled to doesn't help anything. To me its like checking the box on your income tax form to give the state more money than it's legally entitled to. [laugh]

-Mike

Sorry to be harsh but this mindless "MA obeisance to imaginary law" stuff just drives me batshit insane. It's mind numbing to the point of painful.

-Mike

Must be a dangerous loophole. [smile]

Seriously this is the same stupid mindset that leads people to ask the AFT if the Sig brace legal if I ____ fire it?

I'm happy I was able to resurrect a year+ old thread and spark some lively conversations. And thanks to the folks how PM'd me trying to help. However my original question still is unanswered and I'm afraid it will be lost among the other topics. So here it is again:

Does anyone know if the FRB data includes dates of transactions?

Thanks

I'm happy I was able to resurrect a year+ old thread and spark some lively conversations. And thanks to the folks how PM'd me trying to help. However my original question still is unanswered and I'm afraid it will be lost among the other topics. So here it is again:

Thanks
Date of sale or transfer is the first line of the Weapon Information section of the FA10

So I guess the follow on question is what does the FRB report turn up? Is it the full FA10s which of course has the date of transfer or is it a simplified list of SN without dates like the police report (and useless to me) or is it something else? It's completely unclear from the FRB website what you are going to get. I tried calling and email them directly before asking the question here. No luck with that.

Date of sale or transfer is the first line of the Weapon Information section of the FA10

Back
Top Bottom