• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady Micrometer Metering Insert

Does anyone have any experience with either the rifle or pistol micrometer metering insert for the Hornady powder measure? I'm thinking about getting one, but the main complaint from Midway seems to be that there is no way to lock the measure. Has anyone who owns this ever had the micrometer move on them?

The idea is that you write down and dial back to the number where you were, using the scales, as the measurements are absolute. Typically micrometers have tightly ground threads, so there is almost no backlash, but I am also talking high end Starrett, so I can't honestly say without owning one of the Hornady's. Either way, dialing back to your absolute number would get you close (within a .1-.2gr and you should be checking and rechecking charge weight regularly).

Those who I have talked to find them unnecessary. Some find the adjustments so easy on the stock setup they just do it each time, some buy an insert for each setting, and some buy a rotor and insert for each setting. YMMV.

The idea is that you write down and dial back to the number where you were, using the scales, as the measurements are absolute. Typically micrometers have tightly ground threads, so there is almost no backlash, but I am also talking high end Starrett, so I can't honestly say without owning one of the Hornady's. Either way, dialing back to your absolute number would get you close (within a .1-.2gr and you should be checking and rechecking charge weight regularly).

Those who I have talked to find them unnecessary. Some find the adjustments so easy on the stock setup they just do it each time, some buy an insert for each setting, and some buy a rotor and insert for each setting. YMMV.

Machinist-Engineer here. Having used micrometers, I know they're super tight, but my primary concern is the repeated up/down motion of the powder measure, along with vibration caused by the press causing it to shift zero after a while.

Thanks Eddie- do you think it's worth the $30 on Midway?

Thanks Eddie- do you think it's worth the $30 on Midway?

Honestly? No. Even if you record and recreate the setting, you still have to tweak it a bit to fine tune. You save maybe 1 minute per caliber change with it, but you use more than a minute to write it down in the first place, then look it up again when you go to load.

If you're a machinist, you'll develop an eye for where the rotor needs to be for any powder charge setting, and you'll eventually be able to get it as close as the micrometer setting on your first whack anyway. I know I can.

Does anyone have any experience with either the rifle or pistol micrometer metering insert for the Hornady powder measure? I'm thinking about getting one, but the main complaint from Midway seems to be that there is no way to lock the measure. Has anyone who owns this ever had the micrometer move on them?

I thought you meant move during dis-assembly, storage, bumping it around in the drawer, etc... During operation, no it won't move.

Back
Top Bottom