hope for a dark bore K98

mac1911

NES Member
So I purchased a K98 RC with a dark bore. The rifling looked pretty strong considering it was very dark in there. I took it to the range and shot it just to see what happens. Well the 5 rounds of surplus could not be positively located so I didnt bother with a pic. The PPU 200 grain match did ok I guess. I shot at 50 yards POA was the X in pen under the blue bull. My after work dirty thumb is for reference.

After cleaning the grime out of the barrel and removing some of thee most nasty blue/black sludge I have ever seen(so far) it appears the rifling is not as strong as my eyes seem to believe especially last inch ir so of the muzzle. Crown was also a bit crusty. Before pic of the crown didnt happen but I used the hand crowning 11 degree target offered at midway. I will post after pic when I get a chance to get some pics outside in good light.

So I will run the 2nd test with 5 rounds surplus, 5 rounds of reloads using pulled surplus bullets, vaget powder and ppu brass, PPU match grade and see what happens.

Remember the 'battle sight' of a K98k is 150 meters, and the designed bullet was the 196gr. boat tail FMJ. You may need to counter-bore based on your description.

MS

A little testing today

Heres some 50 yard retest. Things are a bit better over all. At least the surplus ammo group this time didnt need 2 pics to fit 5 shots in.
shot off a leadsled rest @ 50 yards 5 shots each. POA 6 O'clock(last group target fell off.

Surplus ammo bullet weight is 178gn FMJ this is a 100% improvement from 1st test.

This group is 5 rounds of reloads useing pulled bullets from the surplus. Some serious verticle stringing going on ? ahh a new issue. I was glad to see the windage was not far off and consistant

Last group was PPU match grade factory ammo...still verticle stringing. Also was shooting below point of aim. This happened one first test with the PPU 200gn match ammo also

heres the crown after the hand recrowning tool job and a quick polish down to 600 grit. I for the life of me couldnt get the camera to really focus on the crown! the before pic got lost somehow. Lets just say it was what a 69 year old battle crown looks like. At least it was not egg shape from poor cleaning...

As for counter boring this rifle? unless I do it myself aint going to happen. I have some Nosler 8mm 200gn custom comp bullets on the way. Im looking to get Minute of Black on the 100yrd SR1 target for fun cmp shoot@ club. It might get there!

Last edited:
Another recipe to try

Sierra Pro Hunter 175 gr, 48 gr IMR 4064 is a load which should universally shoot well in any Kar 98k rifle.

I basically buy what is a good deal for reloading in guns like this. Im not sure how well this gun may shoot. So far my little experience with 3 other cruddy bores is other than casting my own to the size of the bore. They all seem to like heavy mid velocity loads. Be a while before i get to range anyway. The K98 will be on the back of the rotation by then....

The vertical stringing is most likely due to the Mauser's sights. Don't sweat it, just get adjusted to it.
You may want to try Sierra 200 grs MK before 46 grs VV N140 for an accuracy load. Varget and 4064 should get you good results, too.

The vertical stringing is most likely due to the Mauser's sights. Don't sweat it, just get adjusted to it.
You may want to try Sierra 200 grs MK before 46 grs VV N140 for an accuracy load. Varget and 4064 should get you good results, too.
Juergen can you give me some insight on why the sights on a Mauser may cause stringing? My first thought was interference or preasure on the barrel due to heat from the front hand guard/Baguio lug area. I cant see compensating for verticle stringing to be any fun. Is there a method of tightening the action screws. Front/rear 1st evenly ect ect.
My next step is to load up some of the nosler bullets with varget/4895 detest with out the handguard/bands/bayou lug attached.
Thank you for any and all tips.

If I remember my Appleseed chart, vertical stringing is caused from not controlling your breathing.

MS

Really tough to base anything off of a Appleseed chart. Mac1911 I don't remember how you said you were doing the accuracy tests, but I'll ask are you doing these tests to see what te "rifle" can do or what you" can do with the rifle?

Either way, when getting a good idea of different loads or barrel condition make sure you take out as much of the human element as possible. Have the gun fully supported in bags/rest to get a good idea where it's going shot to shot. Another important detail once you going is to call your own shots. Know every time when you miss and what to expect at the target.

Vertical stringing could be many things to mechanical , physical , or ammunition related. What type of groups do you get with your other mausers?

Juergen can you give me some insight on why the sights on a Mauser may cause stringing?

Because of the very narrow V-notch and the fine "roof" front sight. Try out a Portuguese 1937 a.k.a. M937 or a Norwegian
conversion of the K98k having a U-notch and post front sight, that'll change things big time.
However, K98k's are known for vertical stringing when getting (shot) hot. That's very likely due to
the barrel not floating and being pressed into the stock by the bands.

Last edited:
My friend came up with a way to improve the accuracy of a RC K98. The 'float' part tickled my memory. It's a good read and costs next to nothing.

Tutorial: How to restore accuracy to your Russian capture.

MS
thank you. Will check it out and apply.
DGB. As for testing. I will always use my lead sled with 50lbs on it when I want to get a idea of how a rifle shoots. I'm certain the verticle stringing is not me. From the 1st test I got the gun to "group" with the ppu. I went through the same testing.
2 shots surplus to foul out/ warm barrel 5 shots surplus which grouped vs the 1st test. The ppu also "grouped".
I upset the action and maybe needs to settle or maybe now there's tomuch preasure in the stock somewhere. This is why I asked if the k 98 has any quirks especially when tightening the action screws. I will go through the steps majspud linked to over the next week. This gun is a true boxOparts with not a single number matching. Half of the German eagles are scrubbed.

I take on these poor souls of guns to see what I can do with them. I like challenges. I don't get to the range much so working on stuff like this gets a partial scratch to the itch.p

small update...after carefull inspection I can see where there where shims at some point......

Things are looking brighter

First of thanks to majspud for this link. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...w-to-restore-accuracy-to-your-Russian-capture
Tutorial: How to restore accuracy to your Russian capture.
This was very helpful and also lead to some more good links. I did everything mentioned except any trigger work. Its a heavy ass trigger but breaks nicely and is smooth. Im used to heavy triggers. I also did the 11' DIY recrown with tool from midway.
All groups are @ 50 yards. I did play with elevation on some of the reloads. Next outing will to be to correct windage a bit and find a "best" of reloads to work with. So far im happy that I at least got it back to MOP, minute of pumpkin.

This is the 1960s surplus I got with the rifle had 2 duds in the 15 rnd box. many delayed ignition. Not a terribler hang fire but enough to notice! Not a spectacular group but considering I could fit 13 shots on the paper to not even finding the 5 shots from the first test...huge improvement

This is PPU new production "match" ammo not to bad

This here is with reloads. used nosler 200 gn FMJHPBT custom comps. H4895 powder useing Hodgdon DATA for reduced loads with H4895. They where very nice to shoot. Not powder puffs but very pleasant. I will be exploring these loads a little more. The verticle stringing seems to be alot better also.

Last edited:
Final post for this RC 1944 nuth'n matches k98.......non of this would have worked out if majspud didn't link me up.
I decided to take this old dog out to a cmp shoot 100 yd reduced. All things considered and the fact I was ready to part this thing out. I pull a 360 out of it. I had a problem with the sights. Mostly due to sweat in my eyes. The stripper clips from 50bmg where a big plus also. She ran smooth and shot well with the yugo m75 ammo.....now back to my mosin to see what I can do with that!

Ok kids are not dealing with heat well, pool time worn out and in bed napping....ok so I had some camera issues decided to try and work it out. Did some pictures. I centered the front sight to what I assumed was the original reference hash marks and was shooting left. I had a little time to play with smacking the front sight with a brass hammer during the sight ins and prone slow fire. Little fine tuning left to do cmp 8mm.jpg

The first five shots went way left out by the 5 ring, drifted front sight 5 shots under the tape, then drift a bit more, went to far. Nocked it back to get where it settled. I also bumped the rear elevation up one notch and put the last 10 rounds a little high and right of the 10 ring....not bad considering I was getting 5" inch groups at 50 yards before...I will take a 6" ish moa beat to sknot no numbers match dark bore gun anyday. This was my first time shooting a K98 other than burm blasting at clay targets here and there...A little fine tune on the front sight and get used to the sights I think I can creep up into the high 300s maybe 400s ?

the k98 out to play cmp @ Pembroke 200 yards. I used reloads today. Other than a handful of misses I was happy how this rifle came through. I shot a 379/500 3/X. Lost a good amount of points getting windage dialed in. All in good day. Tried a new load also.....not a huge fan of the k98 sight picture. With the triangle sights.

Back
Top Bottom