• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homesteading Skills

I hope so! I actually grew the dill too. Next time I will use real garlic. The pickles looked very crunchie when I picked them. When I shake these up, it looks like a snow globe. :) Live and learn.

I might also look into pickling boiled eggs next. My chickens are about 11 weeks old and should be laying in a month

Attachments

• 20220717_193318.jpg
    20220717_193318.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 15
I've never built an offgrid solar array before, but I just launched myself into an expensive crash course. I should probably book a room at a holiday Inn express this weekend to help....

View attachment 640220

Have to order batteries tonight. Building my own from 260ah lifepo4 cells.
Very cool so I'm curious how long do those batteries last?

Very cool so I'm curious how long do those batteries last?

2000-8000 cycles to 20% capacity loss depending on discharge/charge rate. Solar systems are on the lower end of discharge potential. Let's say I went worst case scenario every day. That's still 5.5 years and I'm at 80% total capacity. 8,000 cycles would be irrelevant as I would certainly add capacity by then ir outright replace them.

Batteries are improving rapidly now in cost and total power per pack. And I'm not building this system with an expectation of saving or breaking even on electricity cost. I'm doing this because I believe we're in real trouble globally with energy right now.

Anyone ever heard of or tried making Kvass? Eastern European recipe similar to kombucha containing probiotics

View: https://youtu.be/k1UTJKBMvgc

Russian bread soda! A friend of mine (Ukrainian, actually) introduced me to it years ago. When I find myself in the right neighborhoods in Brookline, etc., I'll occasionally pick up a bottle at a convenience store.

Russian bread soda! A friend of mine (Ukrainian, actually) introduced me to it years ago. When I find myself in the right neighborhoods in Brookline, etc., I'll occasionally pick up a bottle at a convenience store.
So what's the ABV on that? I've been trying out different recipes. I've been adding beets to mine and trying out different kinds of bread too like rye. Some of it can be quite alcoholic I found out!

So what's the ABV on that? I've been trying out different recipes. I've been adding beets to mine and trying out different kinds of bread too like rye. Some of it can be quite alcoholic I found out!
The ones I've had were soft drinks, but I'd not be surprised to buy 5 to 10%

My wife went into one of hives yesterday. She hadn’t opened them up in a long time. The top box, which the queen is excluded from (keep it all honey with no eggs) was empty. The lower boxes were “honey bound” - full of honey with no room for eggs. She had to pull two honey frames to free up some room for eggs. Hopefully we weren’t too late. She is going to check the second hive today.

We did get about 7 lbs or so of honey from those two frames.

D6BD8E8D-AEAA-40A1-BEC5-B86938BF0993.jpeg 8D9ACE93-2531-4AEE-ADC1-64B212A3931F.jpeg BAB7BA40-6ECE-40BE-BF8E-5E42D84191F1.jpeg

I'd remove the Queen Excluder at this point, and the honey super. They won't draw comb on those frames at this point...

Next year, it helps to 'bait' the bees up above the QE by taking two frames of capped brood and place them in the honey super. The bees will hatch out and the colony will begin to fill it with nectar. Repeat if necessary.

TP

I need to check my hive. I can’t remember the last time I was in there. Other than getting stung through my mechanic gloves because I couldn’t find both of my bee gloves. 😄
I’m interested to see how they have been making out. Maybe when I’m done with my meetings at 4:00

I'd remove the Queen Excluder at this point, and the honey super. They won't draw comb on those frames at this point...

Next year, it helps to 'bait' the bees up above the QE by taking two frames of capped brood and place them in the honey super. The bees will hatch out and the colony will begin to fill it with nectar. Repeat if necessary.

TP
Thank you! I was going to ask what we should do next year to get them to move up.

Ok couldn’t find my smoker so it got a little busy out there but it looks like there are some full frame in the honey super.
The food is about maxed out and the brood box has plenty of capped of worker cells with some drones and some nectar in there.

I really need to find my smoker. It was getting wild and I backed out before I could really inspect everything and spot the queen.

I’m also running a QE. Should just pull that top box of honey at the end of the season and leave the brood and food?
Then reinstall next season? Or should I spin it and pop it back on top (with or without QE) to let them clean up all the leftover honey?

I really need to get into a course or just get a good all in one book. Other than here I don’t know any other bee keepers so my interest dwindles quick.

I’m all out of honey so I’m dying to harvest. That and install my propolis trap

So you have 2 boxes, 1 of Brood, and 1 of Honey below the excluder, and a super with some frames of honey?

Yes. Pull, spin, let the bees clean out by putting the extracted super ATOP the inner cover for a few days. Then pull that and bag it for next year.

Pull the queen excluder too.

TP

So you have 2 boxes, 1 of Brood, and 1 of Honey below the excluder, and a super with some frames of honey?

Yes. Pull, spin, let the bees clean out by putting the extracted super ATOP the inner cover for a few days. Then pull that and bag it for next year.

Pull the queen excluder too.

TP
Exactly.
Ok thank you. I’ll do that. Thinking of leaving it for a little while longer. Lots of goldenrod and such still out there. Thinking of popping in the propolis trap soon too.

I love propolis and having my own source is awesome. I want to make some tincture.

Biodiesel can also be used as a substitute fuel in kerosene heaters.

Last edited:
Fep_TenUoAA7Z6Q

Had two apple trees and one of them died from winter damage. What time of year is best to start seedlings? Cleared more land so I can plant five or six.

Had two apple trees and one of them died from winter damage. What time of year is best to start seedlings? Cleared more land so I can plant five or six.
I started mine in the spring using the method above.

I started mine in the spring using the method above.
Literally just read this article two days ago and am planning to plant some in the spring.

We are at 1400‘ elevation and can have killing frosts well into April. Would seeds be more resistant than saplings?

Old, my inclination is to buy saplings so I can actully eat some before Im dead….

Back
Top Bottom