Little prepper/homesteading today

peterk123

NES Member
Busy saturday. Baked bread. Canned chicken with vegetable soup. Dehydrated some hen of the woods, and froze a bunch as well. Dehydrated pears picked off my parents pear tree. Also cooked up about ten pounds which will be pureed and made into fruit leather/rollups. Took a walk and found some chicken of the woods. A little past the perfect time to pick but we have been grinding them up and then cooking them up in a skillet to pull the moisture out. Then we freeze them. It is a great bread crumb substitute and meat additive. Just a great day.

20201003_180916.jpg

Nice! I put 260 pounds of pork in the freezer and sold another 288 pounds. Started feeding my bees 2:1 in preparation for winter. Took down some fences and started closing up camp. This week (after doing a demo on one of our bathrooms) is devoted to prepping my trapping gear for November 1st.

Nice! I put 260 pounds of pork in the freezer and sold another 288 pounds. Started feeding my bees 2:1 in preparation for winter. Took down some fences and started closing up camp. This week (after doing a demo on one of our bathrooms) is devoted to prepping my trapping gear for November 1st.
Woah... I'm impressed! We are trying to retire in a year and devote more time to doing things like you are doing. Pete

What is "chicken of the woods"?

I have woods but haven't seen any chickens.

(I'm a city boy who moved to the country.... Learning to be a redneck for the past three years... Love it.)

Woah... I'm impressed! We are trying to retire in a year and devote more time to doing things like you are doing. Pete

It's not hard at all if you plan and work smart. I have much of my system automated or on long cycles. I do chickens for meat and eggs, bees, turkeys, pigs, ducks, maple syrup, trap, hunt, garden, etc. We add something new almost every year and still work full time. I've gotten a bunch of people to be more self-sustaining while working full time.

I never paid much attention to fungus. I had the hen of the woods growing at the base of one of my oaks by the road and a ups truck would stop and cut a little bit off but then he took the whole thing and it didn't come back. This year another one just popped out and within a couple weeks it has gotten huge. Last night at 11:15 a car stopped and someone tried to take it but my neighbor scared them off. We ended up cutting it off and getting it in the freezer for now. It's about the size of a big watermelon. I'm starting to realize these things may be useful if people are willing to steal them. Going to look through and see what can be done with them and maybe learn a little bit about them.

Back
Top Bottom