Holster selection / Ear Protection?

I've cleared the application process...then settled on a firearm....then come to find there are more holster options than guns (at least in Massachusettes [smile] )

I'm wondering if someone with more experience can help direct me. I'll use this primarily to hold a firearm while at a range frankly but feel I need something. Furthermore I think a paddle holster would be easier on/off than the other options. Given this I'm thinking of the following:

https://secure.fobusholster.com/cat...d=294&osCsid=b8587a7450c724b54a433af4396914a4

I've spent almost no time at a range so I'm curious to know what most folks use.... I just don't want to show up strapped like Sunny and Crocket if you know what I mean.

The same is true for ear protection - I'd prefer to use some of the high-end ear plugs (22 Db rating) rather than earmuffs -- - what's the norm at local ranges? http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/shootandhun.html

Any insights/opinions would be appreciated.
Steve

The holster you choose is fine for range use, since it is OWB (Outside the WaistBand) you won't need to start buying pants a couple of sizes too big just to fit an IWB (Inside WaistBand) holster.

If you plan to carry I would suggest getting an IWB and take a lot more classes on carry issues (laws and how to present the firearm). Also you will end up tailoring your clothes to carry issues. Not to plug Mens' Wearhouse, but I have never had a problem, when I have gone to get suits and pants, with bringing both of my carry options and having them tailor the garments around my carry rig(s).

As far as ear protection custom molded or fitted plugs are nice; I have two sets, one for shooting and another for riding motorcycles with a half or no helmet.

ETA: Spend the money on a mag carrier and a good leather gun belt.

Depending on what I am shooting or how many people are shooting I sometimes double up and wear both plugs and muffs. Just don't go cheap regarding your hearing, if you have to use the small foam earplugs I would also suggest getting a set of muffs or a box of teh foam ones and some spare glasses. Eventually you will have someone who wants to go shooting with you.

Welcome to the forum; I take it you are picking up a Beretta 92 or a Taurus. Don't forget to post picks when you get it.

Last edited:
Not to plug Mens' Wearhouse, but I have never had a problem, when I have gone to get suits and pants, with bringing both of my carry options and having them tailor the garments around my carry rig(s).

Seems perfectly appropriate to plug gun friendly businesses to me!

Depending on what I am shooting or how many people are shooting I sometimes double up and wear both plugs and muffs. Just don't go cheap regarding your hearing,

+1

Also, I don't have an ALP permit so I don't carry. I rarely find a holster useful at the range. If I'm there alone I'll use one to bring my firearm down range (my outside range is remote and it is a security issue), but when others are around it is best to leave your firearm with the action locked open at the firing line when going down range.

Many ranges don't allow drawing from a holster, check your range rules carefully.

Welcome to the forum!

Matt

Last edited:
Instead of the fobus holster, look a Uncle Mikes. For about $20 you get a sturdy kydex holster. I find the Fobus to be to flimsy, I already broke one.

Personally, I use tapered foam plugs in my ears and electronic muffs on top. I get my foam plugs in bulk from http://www.labsafety.com -- much cheaper than buying them one at a time at a gunshop.

I already have tinnitus (probably from listening to too much loud music as a kid and working on construction sites in a previous life). Once you get hearing damage, it can only get worse. Protect your ears with plugs AND muffs.

The same is true for ear protection - I'd prefer to use some of the high-end ear plugs (22 Db rating) rather than earmuffs -- - what's the norm at local ranges? http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/shootandhun.html

22dB is MUCH too low a rating to be good for earplugs. I recommend 33dB plugs (for cheap), custom molded earplugs (much more expensive) plus electronic headphones.

I still have some (not many) 33 dB earplugs for sale here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5343&highlight=earplugs

FOBUS is "ok" but they are plastic, not kydex. They also "ride wide" like an outrigger on a canoe. I suggest a model that will be tighter to your body.

A big +1 on the belt suggestion; a proper belt will make carrying much easier and pleasant. Even if the holster is top-notch, the belt has to be designed and constructed to use with a holster and support the weight.

You didn't say what gun you are using but you might want to look into the Bianchi Accumold holster. I have one and can say that they are good quality and not expensive. The one I bought for my 4" Ruger Security-Six rides high on the belt and is not too "showy".

Take some good advice and buy the best pair of earmuffs that you can afford.
No earplugs can protect your ears from noise conducted trough the bones nearby.
When I started shooting, back in the early '60s, eye and ear protection were uncommon. The first two shots from the .357 Mag provided earplugs for subsequent shots. My ears have been ringing 24/7 for the past 40 years. No, I'm not kidding.[sad]

22dB is MUCH too low a rating to be good for earplugs. I recommend 33dB plugs (for cheap), custom molded earplugs (much more expensive) plus electronic headphones.

I still have some (not many) 33 dB earplugs for sale here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5343&highlight=earplugs

I just picked up a pair of Leight electronic headphones. I'm pretty sure the package said 22dB. Did I waste my $$$? Should I supplement them with foam plugs also? Will this defeat the electronics? Tune in next week to find out the answers to these and many other questions on, As the NES World Turns...

Chris

Chris, muffs don't come close to the protection level that foam plugs have. 22dB in muffs isn't bad and not the best either. If that was foam at 22dB I would be strongly against them.

Yes, use plugs and muffs and this will improve your protection, and still allow you to hear range commands (with electronic muffs).

Thanks. I bought the electronic headphone type earmuffs because they are very low profile and do not interfere with sighting in when rifle shooting. I'll use some in-ear plugs along with the headphones.

Side note: I was using the headphones outside and could hear things SO much better than normal. Animals in the woods behind my house, birds singing, neighbors talking. Cool technology.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom