HK45C match weight or threaded barrel and compensator?

Golddiggie

NES Member
Alright, I've had a HK45C for a while now (looks like it won't sell, so that thread's getting deleted soon) that I'm not loving. But, another thread had the match weight that mounts to the frame rail and extends under the barrel (adds 3.3oz to the gun and creates a compensator type apparatus). So I've been thinking about it. HK45 Match Weight, HK45 Tactical Match Weight

Question I have is it worth getting that or would I be better off changing out the barrel to the threaded one and adding the micro-comp? While that option is more money, would it be that much more effective? Yes, I know the threaded barrel would allow me to mount a suppressor onto the pistol if I ever got one that would mate. Not sure how far in the future that would be though.

The barrel would cost me $240 plus another $70 for the comp. The match weight is $150, which is less than half the combined cost of the other option. I can do either one, if it's going to make the gun more fun to shoot. I know I'll probably need to get a different holster for it, if I leave either item on. Especially if I decide to put it back into my CC rotation.

Post up if you've had experiences with these items/options.

BTW, mentioning, or saying "get a glock" will get you a nut punch. :p

If you're looking for more fun. Threaded and comp is probably going to serve you better. I have a HK45 and have shot both sizes. The difference is pretty negligible in terms of recoil. The weight difference between those two is pretty much 3 ounces. When you add the bigger gun and the two rounds more. Is it the recoil that's bothering you with it? Because the suppressor with the threaded barrel would probably even it out for you and make it more front heavy (anywhere from 6 to 13 ounces). But that is a pricier option by far.

a compensator on a 45acp pistol is pretty dumb. the cartridge is low pressure so it's not going to add much in the way of redirecting the muzzle. if you put coin into getting a threaded barrel then might as well do it right and get a can. in terms of difficulty selling, it's a niche pistol that used to be upwards of $1k and now can be had new for < $700. the supply-demand curve does not favor selling these pistols. one has to factor this into the price.

since it's an HK, personally I would keep the thing and enjoy shooting it. it will last you forever and be stupid reliable. i've had some difficulty warming up to HK hammer fired pistols but over time they've earned a special place in my heart. if having difficulty shooting it, an optimized hammer spring and a railed light to add a little muzzle weight will make the pistol much easier to shoot.

I don't like how much more 'flippy' the HK45C is compared with any of my 1911's. Even my DE1911C is more of a joy to shoot.

I don't think this would be an issue IF I could get different power recoil springs for the thing. But you can't, or at least I've not found any, anywhere I've looked. Since if I could get different springs, then I could come up with a reload that took it to the level I'd be happy with.

I guess I'll wait for some more postings. I'm getting ready to start ordering parts for the AR10 pistol build (planning to have all parts in about 2-3 months, when my garage will be warm enough for me to Cerakote again).

the HK45 is "flippy" because the frame weights nothing compared to a steel frame 1911. all the mass is in the slide. similar phenomenon as a glock except the HK45 barrel axis is considerably higher up due to being hammer fired.

just put a flashlight on the rail. this will add some mass to the frame and thus tame muzzle flip, without have stupidity hanging off the muzzle. then the light can live on other pistols too. a TLR-1 or equivalent will have huge impact. if skeptical borrow a full size pistol light (e.g. TLR-1) and try it yourself.

Pretty much agree with squib entirely. I suppose I should have added the .45 and comp not being great too. But of the two ideas I still think it’s better. Neither of those is great though. To put a match weight on the compact is to have defeated the purpose of not getting the full size seeing as it makes it longer than the full size.
The only idea I’d go with is the can and definitely as he said a tlr-1 I have one on my full-size and it tamed it more. It adds 4 ounces under the barrel outright without making it longer.

Back
Top Bottom