hk sl8

garyz

NES Member
does anyone have an H & K sl8?
I'm thinking of either a 45 carbine or a 223 but don't want to go the normal 1911 / ar route. I was thinking the hk or a feather in 45 both are about the same, about $1000.00
and before anyone says it, can't afford both
www.featherusa.com
any thoughts on the hk? is it worth the money, how easy is takedown for cleaning, can you find parts, etc... the general info

thx
garyz

Last edited:
Four Seasons had one as of last week for IIRC $1100.I've had one for a couple years that I've sublimated dark plum and black as the grey plastic never did anything for me.It's a pretty accurate rifle and compares well with my Armalite 20" HBAR but it's less versatile as stock.Of course it's possible to change pretty much everything on the gun to G36 configuration ( I am not sure, though I'm sure there will be a lawyer here to correct me with harsh words in about 6 minutes,if it would be unlawful to convert it to take pre-ban AR-15 magazines under MA law) but parts are expensive and not nearly as available as AR accessories.I believe the HK 10 round magazines were $45 each when I got a pair new along with it.It is designed to shoot prone or from a bench;at least to me,it isn't a very comfortable rifle to shoot off hand due to the ergonomics of the thumbhole stock and it has a forward weight bias due to the heavy barrel.
Supposedly the USC and SL8 will be available new again but with retail prices almost double - good luck to HK for getting $2k for one.It's a neat rifle but it really doesn't do anything a $800 AR does except look like a spacegun.It's VERY easy to take down and due to the gas system is an exceptionally clean weapon.

I love mine. If you want a gun that is different than most anything out there, accurate and really well built, it's tough to go wrong with a SL8.

thx

thx for the info, now I just have to decide which to buy
wife already told me no guns for x-mas, so it will be my present to myself

thx
garyz

Just a FYI...there's to be a small supply of these SL8's expected stateside soon, possibly next month. The new importer handling the HK's negotiated a deal and will get a small batch each of the Sl8's the USC and the MK23's.

Back
Top Bottom