hiking in NY with a long gun

In MA you cannot have in your possession a shotgun with buckshot or a slug except during deer season, heck basically nothing at all so I think you can only hike legally with a CCW pistol in MA.

I read through the NY hunting law summary and do not see such a restriction.
Can anyone familiar with the NY laws comment?

Thanks,
Bill

Not familiar, but recommend calling their division of fish & wildlife (whatever it is called) and ask them. It could be in some obscure regulation that none of us non-NYers might find.

In MA you cannot have in your possession a shotgun with buckshot or a slug except during deer season, heck basically nothing at all so I think you can only hike legally with a CCW pistol in MA.

Thanks,
Bill

Thats only a restriction on possession while hunting.. Not hiking. The only other possession laws refer to a public way. IANAL but you can target practice on public land as long as it is not Sunday and it's not a local ord.

Remember, most states consider it hunting if you're walking in the woods with a loaded long arm, and some if with an UNLOADED long arm, with the ammo in your possession.

If you are walking in the woods with a rifle and do not have a hunting license (or it is out of season), don't be surprised if you get unwanted attention from the authorities. I suspect many fishcops would charge you with hunting without a license and confiscate your rifle.

NY is not a pro-gun state and you should expect authorities to act accordingly.

If you are walking in the woods with a rifle and do not have a hunting license (or it is out of season), don't be surprised if you get unwanted attention from the authorities. I suspect many fishcops would charge you with hunting without a license and confiscate your rifle.

NY is not a pro-gun state and you should expect authorities to act accordingly.

Upstate NY is very different from near the City. People are shooting all the time but yes this is the issue I want to avoid. I'd think we are always okay on our own property but like every where else city folk are moving in.

Bill

Upstate NY is very different from near the City.
I spent 5 years in Ithaca and 6 months in Rochester. I'm well acquainted with New York State. Based on that experience, it is my opinion that if you go for a hike with a rifle strapped to your back in New York State you will likely attract the attention of law enforcement and it won't end well.

I grew up in Trumansburg right outside Ithaca...Spent almost all my life there. I would say to figure out where you are going to be hiking and call the local DEC office for that area. Ithaca is pretty hippie but all the land around it is farm country. Hell we used to bring our guns to school in the truck and no one cared. Upstate is pretty gun friendly in the fingerlakes region. But again depending on where you are going to be there will be different regulations. I understand you're want though. Lots of pretty remote areas in upstate and my town has been seeing its fair share of rabid animals presently, also there are some "dicey" country people every now and then!!!

I grew up in Trumansburg right outside Ithaca...Spent almost all my life there. I would say to figure out where you are going to be hiking and call the local DEC office for that area. Ithaca is pretty hippie but all the land around it is farm country. Hell we used to bring our guns to school in the truck and no one cared. Upstate is pretty gun friendly in the fingerlakes region. But again depending on where you are going to be there will be different regulations. I understand you're want though. Lots of pretty remote areas in upstate and my town has been seeing its fair share of rabid animals presently, also there are some "dicey" country people every now and then!!!
Josey - A fellow T-Burg native!

I was class of 1982 at TCS. Was just in town this weekend to visit some family. The fair was kicking off and the kids had fun swimming down at the lake. I am sure we know some of the same people. I go back almost every year to deer hunt. PM me if you want to chat about the old home town.
CCM

Back
Top Bottom