High Rib

I see that a lot of O/U and single barrel guns sold specifically as trap guns seem to have really high ribs. Why is that? At some point down the line I plan to get an O/U and I wonder if that's something I should look for, or if I should stick with a more conservative height that I am used to shooting with (BPS Trap).

Trap guns have a high rib so you float the target IMHO if you are going to use the gun for just trap get a trap gun. If you plan to use your gun for clays hunting and anything else just stick with a normal rib that shoots flat.

You also might be looking at an unsingle, which will look like it has a ridiculously high rib, but that is just to make up for the upper barrel not being there, so the shooter can use the same stock setup for both singles and doubles.

You also might be looking at an unsingle, which will look like it has a ridiculously high rib, but that is just to make up for the upper barrel not being there, so the shooter can use the same stock setup for both singles and doubles.

Well, I guess when I say "really high" I mean more like relatively high, compared to what I'm shooting now. I wasn't looking at single barrel guns or single/double sets, but that makes sense why they're that much higher.

Trap guns have a high rib so you float the target IMHO if you are going to use the gun for just trap get a trap gun. If you plan to use your gun for clays hunting and anything else just stick with a normal rib that shoots flat.

The high rib has seen markedly increased use in Skeet and even SC. The purpose is not to float the target but to give a more natural, heads-up position that gives you a better field of vision.

When you shoot a shotgun, you're not using the "sights" as you do in a rifle, or pistol. You use them to align the gun to where you look - the target.

The high rib helps with the Trap mantra - bring the gun up to your face, not your face down to the gun.

The difference between the centerline of the bore and the rib is irrelevant, when you have a 30" kill circle at 35-40 yards (where the bird breaks).

Now....some dedicated trap guns "Shoot high" - they're designed that way, as you're shooting a rising target. Field guns tend to shoot more to "point of aim".

Bottom line - try before you buy.

For a different type of rib:
space gun.jpg

Trap guns are designed to shoot rising targets. Sporting clays and skeet guns pattern a bit more even, and are designed to hit parallel targets. Lanber make a nice trap gun at a very reasonable price, but the real gem is the 2097 lux, which is one of the best buys in over unders, especially if you are on a budget. The 2097's were being sold by CDNN in Texas, but recently they have been for sale at Cabelas. The store in East Hartford had some on the rack. Some guys will be quick to respond that you should purchase a 'B' gun ( Browning, Beretta) which are exquisite. But for a third of the price you can get a Landber, which is also very popular in Europe and Australia. Not sure if this helps, but I wanted to toss it out there.

PS. Us CZ guys have to stick together !

"Shoot what you have. When one target out of 100 becomes important, then go get a specialized gun. At that point, you'll know what you want or need."
-Aphorisms of MisterHappy

My misses are my own. I've shot $8,000 guns, and $180 guns equally well, on the same day.

It's not rocket surgery.

For a different type of rib:
View attachment 69478

And I thought the Browning Recoilless looked odd, ha. Thanks for the info, that helps a lot.

MisterHappy said:
"Shoot what you have. When one target out of 100 becomes important, then go get a specialized gun. At that point, you'll know what you want or need."
-Aphorisms of MisterHappy

Absolutely. I'm not in a rush to buy one, but I do foresee it in my future. Honestly, I'm wary of shooting another gun now that I'm getting used to mine.

20 PAWS said:
PS. Us CZ guys have to stick together !

Haha, CZ represent! If they were easier to obtain in MA I'd have a safe full! Thanks for the tip on Lanbers, I will keep it in mind.

I shoot a SKB combo that has an over and under barrel and single barrel. On the single the vented rib is above the barrel and adjustable with a knurled nut at the end so you can easily adjust where it hits.
I added the gracoil recoil pad and the stock came with the adjustable cheek feature. It does take some time to set up right. I find it more comfortable to shoot with all that. That being said when I was shooting on my clubs trap team and it was raining hard I would take my old 870 out in the rain and shot it almost as well. If my score was lower it was because of not being able to see well with rain all over my glasses than the gun.

Back
Top Bottom