High Power Rifle Question AR15

Mike S

NES Member
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase an AR 15 platform rifle for shooting High Power Competition. Not sure if I want to do military or just high power. I'm looking at two right now, both from Bushmaster, the V-Match, and the DCM. Also, 20or 24 inch barrell?

What do you guys think?

What works for you?

Thanks

The DCM Bushmaster is as good a choice as any for starting out in Highpower. Personally, I would steer you towards a Rock River instead, but the Bushmaster won't hold you back.
Don't bother with the V-match: the barrel twist is wrong. I believe it's 1-9 where you want at least a 1-8.

Rockriver

I also recommend rockrivers DCM rifle. In addition I would recomend getting the flat top model with the carry handle. This way you can attach a scope later to develope hand loads with. The rockriver trigger is far better than the bushmaster. It is far more consistant to work with and has a good reputation for holding up. I and others find the bushmaster trigger to be tempermental.

It doesn't look like Rock River has as many barrel options as Bushmaster, so, should I go RR lower with a bushmaster upper? I definitely want the flat top with handle upper and have heard good things about the Bushmaster barrels especially the 20 and 24 inch DCM barrells.
Also, scope mount on handle or on flat top w/o handle?

Thanks for the info guys

A 24" barrel wouldn't be DCM. To be Service Rifle, the barrel has to be in original configuration (20") as well as the rest of the rifle, in outward appearance. A 24" barrel puts you into the Match Rifle class.

Personally, I would get a standard A2 upper (carry handle not removable). You can easily attach a scope mount to it if you want to check accuracy (ARMS mounts work well). I have heard you can run out of elevation when shooting beyond 600yds with the removable handle.

+1 on the RR trigger. They are probably dollar-for-dollar, the best trigger out there for HP.

Another option (if you are not already totally confused) would be to buy a stripped lower. Get a parts kit from White Oak Armament that would include a RR trigger "tweaked" by John H. and get one of his SR uppers while you are at it. Probably end up being about the same price as a complete rifle from BM or RR.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Last edited:
I have a RRA DCM and love it. The trigger was better than my bushmaster by far. I put the weights in the hand guard and butt stock and although it's heavy, it's also rock solid in position.

Mine groups outstanding with 77 gr. Sierra Matchkings using 24.5 of Varget.

Another option (if you are not already totally confused) would be to buy a stripped lower. Get a parts kit from White Oak Armament that would include a RR trigger "tweaked" by John H. and get one of his SR uppers while you are at it. Probably end up being about the same price as a complete rifle from BM or RR.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

+1 for White Oak. John H will gladly take the time to answer whatever questions you may have about selecting AR components. I'd purchased his standard Service Rifle upper last year and have been very pleased with it. It has a reputation on the boards as being one of the best deals for a match-grade CMP upper. I'd also read enough positive recommendations to spend a few extra bucks for the pinned rear sight option.

A buddy of mine purchased the White Oak varmint upper, which is a tack-driver. He chose the RRA trigger, tweaked by White Oak. It's a great trigger... not quite as crisp a break as my Geissele, but at under half the price, definitely a quality bargain.

Note that I don't speak from a ton of experience with Match uppers, as this is my first. I did come close to buying the complete Bushmaster DCM/CMP rifle, but chose to mix & match just because I wanted a better trigger group than what comes with the Bushy.

Snorider, I shoot at Riverside in Hudson, which is right in your neighborhood. If you're interested in checking out our White Oak uppers, I'm sure we can coordinate a time.

Back
Top Bottom