'High power' question

High power is a general term. You have high power service rifle, HP match rifle, and HP silhouette which is an entirely different animal (no pun intended).

For the former two, the reg's are contained in the NRA High power rifle rules.

(Also moving to Comp. forum)

Dennis,

Although I do not know for certain, my guess is that anything that is centerfire is considered "high power".

Len, the link posted above doesn't even mention .223, just 30-06 and 308.

I was wondering about calibers qualify. Seems that there ought to be a list of what is allowed.

I won't ever be in competition but was wondering what is actually allowed as 'high powered'.

Well, the CMP matches are "high power" matches where .223 and .30 Carbine are allowed as well as .30-06 and .308.

My guess is that NRA never added the "newer" (only 40 yrs old) military cartridge to the list. [rolleyes]

Pilgrim: While service rifle is limited to the service calibers, the match rifle guys often use wacky calibers. So you'll see a lot more on the line than just .223, .30-06, and .308 (though those might be the most popular).

Len, the link posted above doesn't even mention .223, just 30-06 and 308.

I was wondering about calibers qualify. Seems that there ought to be a list of what is allowed.

I won't ever be in competition but was wondering what is actually allowed as 'high powered'.

The rifles currently defined as "Service Rifles" include the M1, M14, M16 and their commercial equivalents.

The rifles currently defined as "Service Rifles" include the M1, M14, M16 and their commercial equivalents.
True, but he asked about High Power, not Service Rifle. High Power includes Match Rifles.

Service rifle

In addition to the M1, M14(M1A), and M16(AR-15) you can use a Springfield 1903 or a Krag for service rifle matches. The rapid stages can be interesting but it is actually common.

In addition to the M1, M14(M1A), and M16(AR-15) you can use a Springfield 1903 or a Krag for service rifle matches. The rapid stages can be interesting but it is actually common.

I used my 1917 in a DCM qualifier some years ago. Working the bolt and loading via stripper clip didn't slow me down much. In fact it was kinda fun - like driving a standard transmission when everyone else just put it in Drive.

In addition to the M1, M14(M1A), and M16(AR-15) you can use a Springfield 1903 or a Krag for service rifle matches.
No, you may not. The term Service Rifle has a very specific definition in the CMP and NRA rulebooks. Neither of the two obsolete bolt action rifles you mentioned are included in that definition.

As the CMP Excellence In Competition match director for my club, I am asked to rule on such questions and I am 100% sure of my answer.

There are only four authorized rifles for NRA and CMP Service Rifle competition: M1, M14, M16A2, and M16A4 or their civilian clones.

The Krags and M1903s are only elegible for CMP Vintage Military Rifle matches and for NRA Highpower in the Match Rifle (not Service Rifle) category.

Back
Top Bottom