High Power Pellet Gun

Billsail

NES Member
Not that I would ever do something like this, but are any of the newer high power pellet guns capable of taking out a rather large gopher? Would it take a head shot? Can it even be done?. What are the good brands/models? FPS?

Thanks,

Bill

1rubte.jpg

That pic shows a groundhog taken with a Theoben Evolution .177 cal. air rifle with an MV of 820 fps. It generates only a little over 12 foot pounds of energy. It was a head shot from the side, they have a hard front noggin, sighted between the ear and the eye. Shot at 30 yards. He never even twitched when hit. He just dropped. You don't want to know what the gun and scope cost.

That said, the air rifle you should be using would be a 22 cal. For accuracy and power I'd recommend a good PCP, precharged pneumatic rifle. A good entry level gun is put out by Crossman. The Marauder model is excellent http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benjamin/BP2263 . Or for a bit less money you can get the Discovery http://www.crosman.com/airguns/benjamin/BP9M22GSL . Buy the pump, some good pellets and you'll be surprised at what you've got.

I'd stay away from Gamo or some other hyped up air guns. I think Crosman has come a long way to compete in quality to the European made products.

Any suggestion on a caliber for that Marauder? I'm between the .22 and .25... I know .22 pellets are easier to find- but I'm wondering if what appears to be almost 30% more energy out of the .25 is worthwhile (.22 appears to get about 30 fpe and .25 appears to be about 40fpe)

Last edited:
Any suggestion on a caliber for that Marauder? I'm between the .22 and .25... I know .22 pellets are easier to find- but I'm wondering if what appears to be almost 30% more energy out of the .25 is worthwhile (.22 appears to get about 30 fpe and .25 appears to be about 40fpe)

I don't have any trajectory charts for different pellets but you gotta remember that airgun pellets lose a lot of MV with the larger heavier pellets. That causes an increase in drop over distance. The 22 is a nice all around small game hunting pellet. As you also pointed out the 22 pellet is more available and in many different weights and shapes.

Here's a great vendor link. If you are seriously considering buying a Marauder call these guys and talk. They'll even tell you what pellet shoots the best if they can. Good guys and very helpful. http://www.straightshooters.com/navagationpages/benjaminsheridan.html

I was just looking at some trajectory charts per your suggestion. The tough part is the Marauder seems to have a much narrower gap in muzzle velocity (50fps) vs the charts I'm finding (150-200fps). I imagine this difference would flatten the trajectory out some to the benefit of the .25 comparatively.

.22 sure does have that versatility though, but the .25 sure has a lot more punch.

Velocities that manufacturers post and actual are usually way off.

I had a Beeman Kodiak in .25 cal and used it for a few years. Downside is availability of pellets and cost per shot.relative to the .177 or .22 cal pellets. The spring piston was a bear to cock and it was very heavy.
The pneumatic ones are much louder than an .22 CB short. So if you have enough area around for safety use those. Of course it isn't worth losing your LTC over it if the police show up knocking on your door!

I use a Beeman R9 that was tuned by Maccari. It is much quieter than stock and has taken many small game. Never tried it on a woodchuck, LOL. Rabbits have thin skin and thin bones so they are no problem.

I have been out of the airgun loop for a decade and they sell a lot of new models and have new technology.

I consider Gamo junk. No offense to some one who likes theirs. I rather pick up a Sheridan Bluestreak in .20 - 10 pumps packs a good punch.

If you end up with spring piston air rifle don't EVER dry fire it - you will break the parts inside!! Double snap is notoriuos of killing reticles as well - make sure if you get scope that it is rated for it. Bushnell Trophy series is solid performer or Weaver rimfire series.

Good luck.

You don't need to be an air gun afficianado to kill any varmint.

Any good, commercial high speed airgun in .177 or .22 will do the trick.

Gamo air guns are fine and will take out just about any varmint I can think of. $250 or so should get you into a very capable gun (with a scope) for your purposes.

You don't need to be an air gun afficianado to kill any varmint.

Any good, commercial high speed airgun in .177 or .22 will do the trick.

Gamo air guns are fine and will take out just about any varmint I can think of. $250 or so should get you into a very capable gun (with a scope) for your purposes.

I don't agree. Yeah, a Gamo will shoot a pellet. A good air rifle will shoot a pellet VERY accurately. I'm talking 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 40 yards consistantly. If you can't keep the shot in a zone about the size of a nickel you'll more than likely just wound the animal. You need a good air rifle with sufficient power if you intend to hunt. There are a lot of good quality guns available in different power levels.

So the folks at Straightshooters were incredibly helpful and provided me with a very long/thorough/detailed e-mail response. It was very well thought out with solid explanations behind it as well- not just blatant suggestions. Here are my main takeaways:
1) To pick the proper rifle/pellet- start with your desired game & maximum range and work backwards. Pick a gun/pellet combo that's proven to deliver the accuracy & energy needed at that range for a clean kill. Whether .177 or .25 doesn't matter; a target doesn't get "more dead".
2) As for range (due to trajectory) for my use the .25 Marauder gives up nothing, any trajectory difference can be corrected with the scope as long as the rifle/pellet combo is consistent
3) The advantage of .25 caliber is only an advantage with a gun that can handle the heavier pellets. Typically a solid .22 can handle a pellet just as heavy as the mid-weight .25.
4) .25 is gaining in popularity (one of my questions) because there are more offerings in .25 than there were before. It doesn't mean most of those .25s have any advantage.

Pretty useful info.

I'm glad you talked to Straightshooters. They are an excellent vendor. As far as going to the .25 goes I think I'd still stick to the .22 for a flatter trajectory, only because I'm lazy and hate to figure all that holdover/under. All airguns have a real loopy trajectory but if you zero it at the correct range you can get a happy medium setting. I usually zero mine between 25-30 yards. LOtta good basic info here if you scroll down http://www.arld1.com/

I'm glad you talked to Straightshooters. They are an excellent vendor. As far as going to the .25 goes I think I'd still stick to the .22 for a flatter trajectory, only because I'm lazy and hate to figure all that holdover/under. All airguns have a real loopy trajectory but if you zero it at the correct range you can get a happy medium setting. I usually zero mine between 25-30 yards. LOtta good basic info here if you scroll down http://www.arld1.com/

Neat website! I like animated/interactive models like that for explanations.
One of the few gifts I have is being able to tell direction fairly easily and being able to judge distance if I have just a single reference point- so in short I'll just put a "cheat sheet" around the scope.

Back
Top Bottom