HiCap Semi Shotgun for Deer in MA

June4th

NES Member
Last year an ex-COP and seasoned hunter told me that you are not allowed to hunt deer in MA using a semiauto shotgun with magazine capacity more than five. Many semiauto's on the market will take five 3" shells or six 2 3/4" shells.

I searched MGL using keyword 'hunting' and 'shotgun' respectively but couldn't find any relevant info.

Is this fact or fiction?

Do you have an FID card, Class B, or Class A license? If you only have an FID card, you probably aren't allowed to have a 'large capacity feeding device.'

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells;

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

GOAL has the laws sorted out to make them readable:

http://goal.org/masslawpages/masslaws.html

Last edited:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_shotguns.htm

Hunting with Shotguns and Shotshell Cartridges
It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a shotgun of 10 gauge and smaller, and with any magazine capacity, EXCEPT:

1. The hunting of migratory game birds with a shotgun, the magazine of which has not been cut off or plugged with a 1-piece filler incapable of removal without disassembling the gun so as to reduce the capacity of the shotgun to not more than three cartridges at one time in the chamber and magazine combined, is PROHIBITED.

2. The use or possession of shotgun cartridges loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, air rifle shot, BB shot, or any other shot larger than #1 birdshot is PROHIBITED except: (a) on a target range during daylight hours, (b) for the hunting of deer during the period when it is lawful to hunt deer with a firearm, and (c) for the hunting of waterfowl, American coot, or coyote using B, BB, BBB, F, FF, T, or TT shot during the periods when it is lawful to hunt those species.

3. The use or possession of shotgun cartridges loaded with shot other than non-toxic shot is PROHIBITED for the hunting of waterfowl and American coot. Check the annual “Migratory Game Bird Abstracts” for the non-toxic shot types currently approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

4. The above prohibitions and restrictions also pertain to the use of muzzle-loading (smoothbore) shotguns, and the shot sizes which are allowed for use in them.

5. Check the firearms statutes pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140 and c. 269 for laws regarding the possession, carrying, and use of semiautomatic or other "large capacity" shotguns and feeding devices.

This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, § 66 and to several provision of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.

Regulations as of 10-05-07.

Last year an ex-COP and seasoned hunter told me that you are not allowed to hunt deer in MA using a semiauto shotgun with magazine capacity more than five. Many semiauto's on the market will take five 3" shells or six 2 3/4" shells.

I searched MGL using keyword 'hunting' and 'shotgun' respectively but couldn't find any relevant info.

Is this fact or fiction?

If you owned a Hi-Cap pre-'94 shotgun and were hunting deer... it looks like its not an issue.

This is what it says in the abstracts...

DURING SHOTGUN DEER SEASON hunters may use shotguns not larger than 10 gauge, bows and arrows, or muzzleloaders not smaller than .44 cali¬ber, or larger than .775 caliber. This includes modern muzzleloaders, hinge action muzzleloaders, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, and permits the use of sabot rounds. Rifled barrel shotguns are legal during shotgun deer season.
All deer hunters must wear a minimum of 500 square inches of “hunter or¬ange” on their head, chest, and back during shotgun and muzzleloader seasons. This includes archers hunting during either season.
The possession of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited during the shotgun deer season except that the use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters.

I have heard the same thing about it being limited to 5 shells.

But then again it does not really concern me because I have rarely needed more than one shot. Needing to blast 5 is rediculous and irresponsible. But you hear it every year. Take your time, aim, and hit what you are trying to hit. The spray and pray guys need to stay home or go to the range and learn how to shoot.

While your at it leave the buckshot (spray and pray crowds favorite load) at home too unless you have choked your gun properly and patterned it (just like turkey loads) to know how far you have an accurate and lethal load. I have finished off one too many deer that had fresh or festering wounds from "buckshot bob" and his gang of stooges.

Back
Top Bottom