Help with validating a Remington-Rand M1911A1

I think that it certainly is very nice example of Remington Rand to add to the collection. In my opinion you could easily get your purchase price back so that makes it a fair price.

so it does happen. I don't know (and doubt) that's the case. Realistically, its a 74 year old gun so being completely original is a stretch (but gawd i hope so!!!) but either way, it's going to be a nice piece.
There was a batch of new, unissued RR pistols sold. You can find the serial # range on one of the websites.

There was a batch of new, unissued RR pistols sold. You can find the serial # range on one of the websites.

Thanks Garandman. after your other post i spent some time trying to find the list. I did stumble on a forum conversation saying the serial numbers are in the 2.0-2.5 million range which this pistol is not... i have found some posts on other flawless RR so i need to go back and find the actual list and verify it... this pistol actually has me ready to join a 1911 forum to learn more...

There's the gunshow in Concord next weekend. Any dealers there that are honest and knowledgeable that would know? anyone got a reference?
i know there used to be a guy that set up to show off his lugers more than to sell them... sorta like an information desk.

There is an old timer there with his wife who usually has some nice pistols and classic lever guns and an occasional milsurp. He'd be a good one to ask but I can't remember his name.

Well the RR showed up today and all i can say is WOW! the pictures are completely accurate except it's less green than some of the pictures show (in a very good way!). The bore is 10/10. The finish is beautiful and the pictures , if anything, show the gun in less of a positive light. The crossed cannons on the tang (representing the Ordnance Corps of which branch of the army i belonged) are 100% visible even though the pictures look 60% visible.

The letters are very crisp the feed tray has no park on it and in the white. The FJA stamp is a mystery. The guns were parkerized first and the inspector stamp followed.one way to tell a gun hasn't been reparked is look see if there is any white in the stamp crevices after the stamp is applied. it can be hard to tell.

I can't tell enough with a magnifying glass nor do i know enough to tell. i can see where it's possible that there is a hint of white in the inspector stamp but i need someone with more experience than me to verify.

The craft box is stamped inside "protect a gun" but does not seem to have any historical significance.

either way, it's worth every penny to me. No regrets but no test firing until i figure out the true value of this piece.

Last edited:
very nice, congrats!! I wouldn't sweat the FJA stamp, there could just be 70 year old dirt in it or the white metal oxidized and now you don't see white. Lots of possibilities

You'll have to get a beater to play with now...that's why I have (had) a lot of Mausers.
t
Systema Colt.

i-6Mq5F7X.jpg

There ya go. My Systema has some pitting here and there but overall a solid 1911 that I can shoot and not worry about ruining an expensive collector. Although prices on them aren't going anywhere but up either, so some day they will start approaching what a U.S.G.I. 1911A1 was going for a decade or two ago. ;)

Four Seasons has an R-R for a nickel short of $2300. Ser number 1486xxx. The finish on the one you are looking at looks awfully good for a 75 yo pistol. Some obvious wear marks here and there but no real bad dings that I can see.

Let's face it, they are not making any more and prices are not going down.

That's a super nice WWII example. Saw the one at Four Seasons this morning. The price is down to 2K, I think. It only has 1 mag (correct) and a WWII holster. They're getting hard to find locally, and I like to see any potential purchase up close if I'm going to pay out real dough. I may circle back this weekend and take another look.

I like to see any potential purchase up close if I'm going to pay out real dough. .

I agree. that was the hard part. the high price and looking at pictures. the seller sent me probably 30 shots. I had bought my new Luger from him and it was all he said it was. (as was this one). he truly believes it's unfinished. it doesn't make it true. I will post it on the 1911 forums eventually. i am using it to force myself on there to learn more on my own before i ask. trying not to be lazy.

That's a super nice WWII example. Saw the one at Four Seasons this morning. The price is down to 2K, I think. It only has 1 mag (correct) and a WWII holster. They're getting hard to find locally, and I like to see any potential purchase up close if I'm going to pay out real dough. I may circle back this weekend and take another look.

This is one of the reasons I am glad that I live so far away from Four Seasons. I "could" afford that but I'd be eating cereal, beans and rice, and peanut butter for months.

Back
Top Bottom