Help with my 340 SC Airlite PIC ADDED

Quick question out there for anyone who has a 340 sc / pd. Went shooting today and noticed when cleaning the gun that there seemed to be something wrong. If you flip open the cylinder and look at the firing pin looking to the left and lower there is an almost semi 1/2 moon opening and that semi 1/2 moon opening has a sharp almost cut like opening in it. Don't remember if it looked like that or not before I started shooting. I was wondering if any of you have one could check to see if in fact you have the same sharp cut like opening there also.

Thanks, Dennis

PICTURE: http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/DJ_2_bucket/

Last edited:
possibly, however still doesn't explain the sharp cut like opening in the smooth semi 1/2 circle area. Do you have one to check?

From what I can see of the small, rather blurry photo, things look perfectly normal - just like all my J-frames. You said:

...however still doesn't explain the sharp cut like opening in the smooth semi 1/2 circle area.

Unless you are referring to something very tiny that I can't see in the photo, I'll assume you are talking about the rectangular "window", measuring about 1/16" wide by 3/8" tall, that is milled in the recoil plate. At the bottom of this window you will see the top of the hand peering out at you (the hand is the little part that is responsible for engaging and turning the ratchet on the cylinder).

The rectangular slot allows the hand to reach the lobes on ratchet (otherwise, what would index the cylinder?) and the dimensions of the slot are determined in such a way as to limit the motion of the hand to keep it on track. Provided everything has been fitted properly at the factory (fitting a hand requires considerable skill, as any gunsmith will tell you), things should work just dandy.

If the gun functions properly, and there is no binding or stickiness when you swing the cylinder out and lock it back into place, I wouldn't worry about a thing.

Back
Top Bottom