Help with Article

Ok, I remember reading a blog about a way to slowly build up your food stores on a weekly basis. Anyone remember who did it or has a copy/link to share?

Hurricane season is about here and should really start to stock up, but can't really afford a huge splurge at once.

Thanks in advance to everyone who can help.

After trying to remember the site I do remember that you very much have to be 'invited' onto the site though the articles are available to be read by all for the most part.

Last edited:
Chris,

The one I was looking for is similar to that, but not based off of heading to bulk buy places, it was set up to buy thins here and there on your grocery trip. I think it was off of a survivalist website.

I'm not sure about the article, but I put together an Excel spreadsheet to help with this. See attached.

It allows you to enter the number of people and pets in the household, number of weeks to spread the buying over, how much of what you want per person per week, plus cost.

BTW, the items in the list are just filler I used to make sure the math works. It's not perfect. It doesn't spread the buying evenly over the weeks as I would like, but it's a start.

Attachments

• Planned Buying.zip
    61.2 KB · Views: 5
Not exactly what you're looking for but may get you there, check out drum-runners.com, has tons of info related to prepping, a lot of firearms related material too.

I'm not sure which article you were refering to, but here's a process I've read several times that actually works pretty well:

Make your normal shopping list for the week
Record the useful shelf-life of each item on the list
Record the rate at which you typically use each item on the list
Buy 2 weeks worth of each item on your list.
When you unpack after going to the grocery store, store 1 weeks supply of each item as you would normally and the second weeks supply in your long term storage area.

The next week, repeat the process, but instead of placing 1 weeks forth of the new supplies in your normal use area, move 1 weeks supply from your long term storage area to your normal use area and add both weeks of new purchases to the long term storage area.

Each week you repeat this process, you buy 2 weeks worth of items and store them while moving 1 weeks supply form long term storage to your normal use area.

This:
1) Slowly builds up your long term storage supplies
2) Ensures you are building up supplies you normally use
3) Cycles the oldest stored items into your normal use area to make sure the stored items are always "fresh"

Continue the process until the amount you have stored of an item reaches: 75% of its expected shelf-life or 2 the total amount you want stored.
I recommend making a spreadsheet (printed and filled in hard copy) recording each purchase quantity and the expiration date so you can keep track of both what you have and when you need to use it by.

Once you have a good base stock, I would recommend reducing your purchasing rate and watching for sales. If you have a 1 year supply of whole kernal corn, you don't need to buy it every week any more, instead you can wait for it to go on sale and then buy 3 months worth on sale. Once you've built up the buffer to allow you to only purchase on sale, you can save a lot of money.

Also, once you have that base stock well filled out, start adding very long term storage, 5-10 or more years shelf-life items that you don't use on a regular basis. Keep in mind, that you still need to cycle this stock, and that means using it normally. If you buy a 1 year supply of food that can be stored for 5 years, you need to eat 3 meals a week from that food or it will eventually go to waste.

Thanks for all the help. Going to probably combine a lot that was given and go from there, but do need to start stocking up.

Now should I go with the galon jugs or the individual bottled water. I'm leaning towards the bottled type in stead of jugged so I can better ration it (IE not have to worry about over drinking)

Last edited:
Retail water bottles are not designed for long term storage, 6-12 months maximum on typical clean retail bottled water. The plastic used just isn't designed for longer storage periods. If you're going to stock up on bottled water, make sure you rotate the water, you can keep 6-8months worth on-hand, but make sure you're drinking it regularly

I would recommend larger storage containers for long term storage. 55-gal food grade water drums are great. 5-gallon opaque plastic water cans are also generally well designed for long term storage (don't use a 5-gal gas can, even if its never been used) Make sure you add 1 tea spoon liquid bleach to the water per gallon (1cup / 55 Gallon Drum) and store the water in a cool, dry and dark place. I would still recommend cycling the water, keeping storage time under 5 years.

My plan is to have about 1 yr of water on hand, and i hope to eventually get a quality water purification system with a few spare filters.

Gonna be fun juggling stuff *chuckles*

Anyone know of a good site to learn what kinds of veggies grow in what kind of 'shade' etc? Want to try and start becoming a bit more self sufficient.

Since I'm still renting going to try and keep stuff as portable as I can and I can easily store some water bottles (may go the combo route of having some 5 gal buckets as well as bottled water).

Good place to get 5 gal water cans?

Back
Top Bottom