Help with AR15 SBR

Hi All,

I plan on registering a spare lower I have as an SBR come this summer, once the "CLEO signature" rule goes away (as I understand it does.) Having said that, I am looking at getting a radical arms 7.5" upper. http://www.radicalfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFUPPER7.5-5.56M4-7FQR&CartID=1

My question is, what buffer would I need to run this using standard .223/5.56 ammo as well as my CMMG .22 conversion kit? I plan to just get a standard PSA MOE lower build kit, but wanted to make sure I am not missing something. Muzzle device will be a Ferfrans CRD w/brake.

Thanks

You don't need a buffer at all for a 22 conversion. I just run mil spec buffers in both my 5.56 SBRs; 11.5 and 9.5 - weighted buffers are a bandaid for an overgassed system. The only reason weighted buffers get the hype is that they soften the carrier coming back by adding resistance. A lightened carrier, or a turned down adjustable gas block will do the same thing. Wait and see where your brass lands before you spend too much. Just my opinion - others may vary.

Why don't you ask the manufacturer? They may've had some specific buffer weight in mind when they specified a gas port size for their barrels. However, you won't know for sure till you shoot it. Oh, and some people use different buffers for weak .223 and mil spec 5.56.

Back
Top Bottom