• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with AR10 Barrel Compatibility

Dirtrider357

NES Member
Hello,
I’m building an American Weapons Systems AR10 from an upper/lower set that I bought several years back. I was looking at Lothar Walther barrels but they don’t specify if it’s for a DPMS or Armalite configuration. I was told that the receiver is the Armalite pattern. The barrel I was looking at is a Lothar Walther AR10 Rifle Barrel A0-N-P-030-10-762NA-KA-18-M-ELB. Or if anyone has better suggestions (that are not backordered) between 18-24” preferably a heavy/bull barrel that’s threaded. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I’m building an American Weapons Systems AR10 from an upper/lower set that I bought several years back. I was looking at Lothar Walther barrels but they don’t specify if it’s for a DPMS or Armalite configuration. I was told that the receiver is the Armalite pattern. The barrel I was looking at is a Lothar Walther AR10 Rifle Barrel A0-N-P-030-10-762NA-KA-18-M-ELB. Or if anyone has better suggestions (that are not backordered) between 18-24” preferably a heavy/bull barrel that’s threaded. Thanks in advance.
Not many .308 barrels out there right now. I’d wait till they catch up and you will have a better selection.

I bought my AR10 barrel from Columbia River Arms.
Here's where you can pick the config you want: Configure Your .308 WIN

Looks like longish lead time right now, depending on what you want. Do a configuration and email/contact them to get a decent idea on how long to make it for you.
18" and 20" barrels like you want (bull barrel) are $300. 22" and 24" are $315.

AFAIK, the pattern of the upper and lower doesn't influence the barrel at all. I'd be more concerned on getting the handguard height to match the upper, if you don't already have it.

From what I found the barrel extensions are different between DPMS and armalite pattern receivers and the barrels are specific to each type.

A quick Google-FU session yields that what miniscule differences there are don't matter since the barrels can easily fit into either upper. With that info, I'd say "don't worry" and do it.

If you're concerned, contact the guys at Columbia River Arms and get the info direct from them. As I mentioned, I did that when I was deciding on which barrel to get. They were very helpful.

basically just make sure your bolt matches the barrel extension type dpms bolt with a dpms barrel extension, armalite with armalite

I’ll definitely contact Columbia River arms. I was just going by what I read on a few AR/LR10 sites where they said that certain parts are interchangeable, but some are not. Apparently this lower only accepts SR-25 style pre ban magazines as well which I know are rather hard to come by, and pricey when they do pop up. I’m on the hunt for a few of those as well.

If it is an Armalite pattern lower, then SR-25 mags will not fit.
I actually went up and met American Weapon Systems (who the receivers were made by) and bought a BCG last year and these are the type of mags he told me it takes.

Attachments

• 15A4B36F-335D-438A-91D2-50A822EE818A.png
    15A4B36F-335D-438A-91D2-50A822EE818A.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A83BE15D-23DD-4613-9423-98BFEB69691C.png
    A83BE15D-23DD-4613-9423-98BFEB69691C.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 3
as long as the bolt matches the barrel extension you are gtg choosing either pattern. I’ve had good luck with my Armalite Ar-10b so when I built my Matrix Arms (from the group buy) I used an Armalite bcg and barrel. Matrix uses dpms pattern which will only come in to play for rail height and mag type.

Then you might have an Armalite 10a lower not a 10b.

Basically there is the Armalite pattern and everything else. Armalite was designed around the cheap and popular M14 magazines and they will work if you mill a slot for the mag catch IIRC.

Since you have the lower, take it to a shop that has the mags and see. Or see me I have both :)

Then you might have an Armalite 10a lower not a 10b.

Basically there is the Armalite pattern and everything else. Armalite was designed around the cheap and popular M14 magazines and they will work if you mill a slot for the mag catch IIRC.

Since you have the lower, take it to a shop that has the mags and see. Or see me I have both :)
Are you in western MA lol? So the difference is a slot for the magazine catch?

Think for M14 and Armalite mag the difference is just a slot. For the Armalite v. DPMS mags they are a different shape. The DPMS has a slight taper front to back. They won't even fit the magwell.

i just built that model up this spring, from the group buy here. it is DPMS in every sense, except for the fitment to the upper. the upper has the 45 degree slash vs the radius you normally see on dpms uppers.

so you need a dpms barrel extension

stag uppers are supposed to be exactly the same as the AWS you and i have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom