Help on Scanner

I'd like to work towards my Ham license next year, but with some family issues going on have no time in '10. In the meantime I'd like to get a police scanner; betwen getting caught in a huge detour friday night, and a wicked storm last night there are just too many times where I dont know what's going on around me.

From what I've read in another forum, it seems like I need a triple trunking digital scanner to have a chance to get most departments. Does this sound correct ? I've looked at the Radio Shack units and it appears they generally start at close to $400. I would prefer not to, but could spend that much if I have to. I really prefer something portable since I spend a lot of time driving to other states.

Any help much appreciated. While I'm at it, can someone give me a rough idea what basic Ham equipment would run to get started. Will let me budget ahead some for next year.

My priorities would be police/fire for Acton, Maynard, Stow, Waltham, Concord and then State Police for MA, CT, ME, NH

I think it would be 95% in my car and I'd only use it in the house if there was a hurricane or something happening.

My priorities would be police/fire for Acton, Maynard, Stow, Waltham, Concord and then State Police for MA, CT, ME, NH

I think it would be 95% in my car and I'd only use it in the house if there was a hurricane or something happening.

A good trunking scanner will get you all of these with the exception of the NH agencies because they've all gone to P25 Digital. A Digital scanner will cost about $100-$200 more

CT and NH have gone digital, not much digital in MA but yes, you are correct that you would need the $400 DIGITAL trunking scanner to receive what you want. Lots of choices, I like dedicated mobile scanners as carrying and hooking up and unhooking a portable really takes it's tool on the device. The antenna and power connectors will wear quickly. www.radioreference.com is a great site for info as stated.

Hey good to hear another radiohead is being born. I would also check out Ebay if money is a factor. I have more than 5 scanners at home of different capacity. Half of them I bought on Ebay and served me well. I am partial to Uniden Bearcat myself. I used to work at Radio Shack and I hated their scanners.. just feel that Bearcat is a superior product IMHO.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I guess this confirms what I've read that for the digital there is no low-end entry point. Sincerely appreciate the help !

Back
Top Bottom