• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide the next acquisition...

Help! Which one?

• S/27 Erma K98

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 1906 Spandau Gew98

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 1935 Walther PPk

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 1943 RIA/paperwd Inland M1 carbine

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I sold my 1880 Amberg M71 Mauser to fund my next purchase for my birthday (6/20). Since I failed at Amoskeag, I'm trying to select from a list of 4 pieces within $500 of each other...

1. Matched save follower and floor plate 1939 S/27 Erma K98; comes with cleaning rod, sight cover, bayonet (most$)
2. Matched unit marked 1906 Spandau Gew98; no pics available
3. 1935 Walther PPk commercial; 97%
4. 1/43 Inland M1 carbine, rebuilt and distributed by RIA in 1957 with original box and paperwork; sold in 1957 for $17.50 with 2.50 shipping (least$)

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
A matched and unit marked GEW 98 is the most difficult to find. Is it post-war rebuilt to match? Look it over carefully. An original finish in good-plus condition could be a $3,000 gun, or more.

When you were at Amoskeag, I'm sure that you saw the first year production GEW 98 sell for $7,000 plus fees.

Last edited:
The PPK would be talking to me if you don't have one,but the M1 package that also sound interesting.I think it would all come down to price.

A matched and unit marked GEW 98 is the most difficult to find. Is it post-war rebuilt to match? Look it over carefully. An original finish in good-plus condition could be a $3,000 gun, or more.

When you were at Amoskeag, I'm sure that you saw the first year production GEW 98 sell for $7,000 plus fees.

This is why and where my vote went.

In the end, the M1 carbine is still just an M1 carbine. Even if it has the most votes at the moment.

My source for the Gew98 also has a matching '16 DWM, '16 Oberspree-Kornbusch, and '16 Mauser Obendorf to select from; all 5 are the same price.

The '06 has a little fire damage to the butt stock.

T

Last edited:
I know the decision has been made, I just wanted to add: I didn't vote, didn't have a choice besides the Garand because that is the one I'm only relatively familiar with. I just have to say I love reading your posts, reading about your aquisitions and such, most especially looking at all the cool/amazing pictures of the stuff that you have/find/buy/sell. Don't want to embarass you majspud but you are one of those guys that definitely makes this place well worth visiting.....just to see your cool stuff. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

.....oh, and if you see any deals on a nice Garand out there, please keep me in mind!!! [grin]

CMP has the best price ($730) for quality around. You won't find one for less than $900 elsewhere, unless you are doing a relative trade.

T

DSCF0101_zpsb11d5bd1.jpg

Inland M1or K98 would be my choices. I live the gew in a video game, but would pick either of the two others first in real life.

I flipflopped for the Inland. The $350 difference can jump start my search for a second Garand for the son (when he's ready to move up and before they're gone).

T

FR8's are nice handy rifles but you will play heck finding new unfired rifles. I still have two and they are 7.62X51 and almost all came with beautiful CETME new barrels not 30-06 as the posted rifle also unfirede is. Some day I will go nutz and shot it.

bkt005a_zps43d7d170.jpg

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom