Help building/purchasing an AR?

Well, I've got the AR bug. Where to start? Anyone suggest a helpful book on AR options, possibilities, building from scratch, etc. I've been looking and the possible combinations and brands are mind boggling. I can see that this is going to cost some bucks and that I need to get educated real fast.

Where do I start guys?

Cheers

It depends on what you are using the rifle for.

For complete rifles you can't go wrong with Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River Arms or DPMS

building is fun but will end up costing more

Just gathering info

I was at the local shop today and I was overwhelmed at the choices. I'd probably want to buy a complete gun - but even then just look at the choices!

Heavy barrel, light barrel, stainless, chromed, triger groups, collapsing stocks, sights, scopes, etc., etc.

What I need is a point of reference to sort out the bells and whistles, just plain junk, and really important items that make up a modern AR. I'd no doubt be using it for target work and maybe competition (thinking of 3-gun).
Any good references books that could be recommended would be a good starting point.

Cheers

Start with a decent 20 inch A2 service configuration..with a heavy 1X8 barrel...That is a good spot from which to start. RRA and Bushmaster make decent, "cost effective" rifles you can start competing with right off.
As said earlier in other threads, I've seen guys buy the M4s and try to shoot 200 yds with them offhand.........it ain't pretty.
Learn to shoot that....wear the upper/barrel out.....put some decent money into another upper later on from one of the several reputable makers.....if you choose to...you'll have fun and the rifle will always be just a little more accurate than you.
Spend as much as you can on quality........it'll be cheaper in the long run.
Have fun!

"The Competitive AR15- the mouse that roared" by Glen Zediker is a good overview of the AR. It's a nice compilation of several builders and mouse smiths. Collectively, they've seen, done, or tried it all. Also the book by Scott Duff (can't think of the title and I have my copy out on loan).

Moderator said:
Bushmaster, great product for the price. I have also had good customer service with them.
I called up to Maine once to order some parts for my B'master. The gentleman on the phone was a nice guy......Knew his stuff, took care of my order with no problems........I think the conversation then turned to shooting down this way......ammo.....gun laws........It was like talking with an old family friend I'd not seen in years.
I'd buy another one.

The various choices narrow down when you decide WHAT the gun's purpose is for and what you are going to shoot with it.

Heavy barrels are great for target, but suck for tactical use. Collapsible (pre-ban only in MA) or skeleton stocks are great for tactical but not suitable for a serious target gun.

Short barrels for tactical, long barrels for target.

Like others have said you first need to decide what it will mostly be used for. Then decide your budget aand then narrow down your options.

I recommend checking out www.jprifles.com. You can't go wrong with a JP AR15.

Pete

whats the MA compliance requirements when building an AR and using an adjustable/collapsible sotck? Are these MA legal if you add one?

gonzoga51 said:
whats the MA compliance requirements when building an AR and using an adjustable/collapsible sotck? Are these MA legal if you add one?

Please reset your User CP to show ALL THREADS (default is 30 days) and use Advanced Search i the Gun Laws forum. It's been discussed many times before.

Bottom line is that if you are building a "new" AR15 (without using a pre-ban lower), putting a collapsible stock on it is a MA Felony (unless you don't have any other "evil features" . . . which makes an AR15 impractical).

Back
Top Bottom