hedging against a new federal AWB

Hey guys,

Many of us on this forum are worried about the possibility of the federal government enacting another assault weapons ban (AWB)...the fact that ARs and ammo are expensive and hard to find sort of speaks to the widespread worry.

Since I don't own an AR yet but I would prefer not to buy one at these elevated prices, I am thinking about how to best hedge against the possibility of a federal AWB. From what I've read, only the [stripped] lowers are regulated in terms of firearms sales (e.g., one can buy an upper w/o a license).

My question is, given that AR parts aren't considered a "gun" unless they have the lower receiver attached, would a new federal AWB only limit sale of lower receivers to civilians, or is there a chance that a new AWB would limit the sale of other parts? In other words, is the best way to hedge against a potentially new AWB to buy a stripped lower, because the other parts would be available later anyway?

Thanks,
toga

Hey guys,

In other words, is the best way to hedge against a potentially new AWB to buy a stripped lower, because the other parts would be available later anyway?

Yes. And (almost as important) buy your magazines now too.

As for other parts... I doubt that there would be any restrictions on normal operating parts for an AR.

It's quite possible repair parts (at least some), would be included in any potential ban.

Back in 2004 there were several versions of a new, much stricter, AWB that were submitted.

One version filed by Carolyn McCarthy contained language that would have banned "conversion kits"...

Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 2038 IH

To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 921(a)(30) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

(snip)

(K) A conversion kit.

(b) RELATED DEFINITIONS- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(37) CONVERSION KIT- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

It's all going to depend on how much and how hard the antis are going to push for a renewed ban. They might decide that their chances are better going for a ban closer in language to the 94 ban, or they might go for the whole enchilada and make it way more comprehensive.

Back
Top Bottom