Heads Up

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Got a weird e-mail and many of you were also on the distribution, so I just wanted to mention it.

The text is as follows:

Gentlemen I am curious as to your certification as Firearms Instructors via the Massachusetts State Police? Or Massachusetts State Police Certified Instructors? Are you current of former Massachusetts State Troopers? Since I do not recognize the names I am reasonable sure you are not. If you are simply certified by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to TEACH a Firearms Safety Course, thought the Colonel’s Office, this is different then you are leading the public to believe and ultimately benefiting under the title of the Department of State Police. The Massachusetts State Police DOES NOT train or offer courses in Firearms Instruction to civilians. The Certification is to TEACH a Firearms Safety Course and it is not a Massachusetts State Police Certification it is a Certification by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, The Colonel of the State Police is simply the issuing authority. That is the only tie to the Department of State Police.

I am asking that you correctly represent your qualifications and not depend upon the State Police to further your business. A simply true and honest business plan and quality courses will take you and your company far into the future. Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Mark D. Robbins

Can't find anyone by this name associated with the Mass State Police and his assertion is flatly wrong as our certificates DO signify MSP certification as well as the statutes granting the MSP the power to certify.

All I can recommend is that nobody please feed the troll.

Last edited:
I suspect this might be the gentleman in question: http://www.maps.oxfordfire-ems.org/new_page_3.htm If so, then this particular Mark D. Robbins is apparently a MA State Trooper.

IIRC, about a year ago or so the State Police sent out a letter to all instructors about not using the State Police logo, etc. The important thing for instructors is to follow the guidance of the MA State Police, not the guidance of a particular Statie who might have his panties in a bunch and is not a spokesman for the State Police.

I think the wisest thing to do would be to forward a printed copy of his email to whoever is in charge of licensing for the State Police and ask them if Trooper Robbins is acting as a spokesman for the State Police. And if so, to please clarify in writing exactly what language is acceptable to the State Police. If not, then why is Trooper Robbins sending such a communication that could be interpreted as him acting as a spokesman for the State Police? Ask them to respond in writing and include a stamped, self-addressed envelope. I'm guessing that Trooper Robbins is speaking on his own, and it is my impression that law enforcement agencies take a very dim view of officers making such public statements unless they have been vetted by the command. If so, it is important that his supervisors be made aware of his statements.

That said, unless we are careful with the wording, it could appear to a student that an instructor is claiming to be a State Police trooper, or an instructor for the State Police, and that is probably not what we want.

Last edited:
Reply to the email

The following is the reply that I sent this morning.

"Mark
I do not know who you are or why you are sending his message. However I will respond. Our web site, www.neshooters.com , makes the following statement about the point that you raised, as follows: "He is also certified by the Massachusetts Department of State Police as a Basic Firearm Safety Instructor."
When I wrote the above sentence, I checked the wording on the certificate that I received from the Department of State police. The certificate states, in part, that "the following named individual is certified by the Colonel of the Department of State police to teach approved courses in Basic Firearms Safety"

Unless I do not know how to read, it appears, from the above, that the Colonel of the Department of State Police has issued my certification.
I am not trying to be difficult, but your words do not appear to jibe with the words on my Certificate. If you have any suggested wording for what appears on our web site, I would be most interested.

Be Safe

Jim Conway
Neshooters, LLC

What's most important is that he probably views all y'all as competition: http://www.cirassociates.com/Company%20Profile.htm
A rogue LEO attempting abusing his authority [shocked][shocked]*

*nothing stated herein is intended in any way to impugn the integrity of the vast majority of law enforcement officers of faithfully and competently serve in the interest and protection of the public

Just for Ss&Gs I checked the instructor page from the Four Seasons site to see how some word their ads. Almost all say Mass State Police certified which is accurate. The only one that was questionable was this one:
Dennis Cormier Certified Instructor

Basic Pistol & Home Firearms Safety for License to Carry and FID Certification, NRA Certified Instructor
MA State Police Instructor

[email protected]

Tel: 978-897-4724

Classes held at the Maynard Rod and Gun club as needed.
I added the red. I have no idea if Dennis Cormier is a MSP instructor but if not maybe this is the type of thing Trooper Robbins is talking about?

Just for Ss&Gs I checked the instructor page from the Four Seasons site to see how some word their ads. Almost all say Mass State Police certified which is accurate. The only one that was questionable was this one:
I added the red. I have no idea if Dennis Cormier is a MSP instructor but if not maybe this is the type of thing Trooper Robbins is talking about?

Except that he apparently sent e-mails to many other folks on that page whose wording was not questionable.

Using the title "Massachusetts State Police Certified Firearms Safety Instructor" could possibly lead to students assuming that the instructor is, in fact, a trooper. But it is still factually correct and, I believe, within the guidelines issued by the State Police. So if Trooper Robbins has a beef with that, the correct people for him to be complaining to are the folks at the State Police Firearms Unit.

Back
Top Bottom