Having "The" as part of the name if a trust

Reptile

NES Member
I am making a trust.

It will be called something like "Shark Trust".

Should it be called "The Shark Trust"?

Not sure wether to have "The" in the name.

A shorter name gives you more flexibility for where it will fit on the receiver.

No real reason for or against, just keep in mind that the full formal name is exactly what you would engrave for a Form 1.

People usually ask about abbreviating the name when doing the engraving, never seen an answer to whether it would be acceptable to prepend "The" in front of the actual trust name for the engraving...

Last edited:
I wouldn't put "The" in the name of the trust. Just more room to make mistakes filling out forms requiring an exact legal name and I would think you would need to engrave it as well.

I wouldn't put "The" in the name of the trust. Just more room to make mistakes filling out forms requiring an exact legal name and I would think you would need to engrave it as well.

If there is a "The" in the name, I would not make mistakes filling it out on forms.

What about names for other trusts?

Don't they always have the "The"?

My first two Form 4's were rejected because I thought my Trust was "The XYZ Trust," when it was in fact just "XYZ Trust." I couldn't believe they rejected the forms just because I mistakenly added "The" to the Transferee's Name! Luckily, they approved the forms as soon as I sent in the corrected versions. As others have said, the shorter the name the better, as far as engraving goes on Form 1 items.

IMHO keep it as short as you can so there is less shit to engrave on the gun.

-Mike

People usually ask about abbreviating the name when doing the engraving, never seen an answer to whether it would be acceptable to prepend "The" in front of the actual trust name for the engraving...

I've heard that at this point, the ATF has gone to a much harder line when it comes to abbreviations. Now they want the whole name, exactly as it appears on your trust documents.

Add another vote for "shorter is better" from me. I didn't put a "The" in front of my trust name. It's just "[surname] Trust".

People probably don't want to post the name of their trust, but do people have fun with this/come up with something funny/awesome, seeing as this will be engraved on your firearm forever..................?

People probably don't want to post the name of their trust, but do people have fun with this/come up with something funny/awesome, seeing as this will be engraved on your firearm forever..................?

I'm waiting on my brother and dad to give me money todo my trust . I've been trying to figure out a good name that isn't over the top.

For my next silencer, I plan to use "Who can you Trust".

You do want to keep it short. When I was picking up my SBR lower, a guy came in with a HK lower for engraving, his trust was named something like "John and Mary Smithson Trust", and there aren't many places on that receiver where you can fit something that long even using a 1/16" high font.

I've never understood the concern with posting the name of a trust - maybe someone can fill me in?

Isn't it conceivable there are trusts with the same name, located in the same city? How does the ATF deal with this? Example: "John Smith Trust", Boston, MA. Are street addresses engraved on receivers?

I've never understood the concern with posting the name of a trust - maybe someone can fill me in?
My trust names are closely related to the family name of one of the Trustees, so I don't post it. Otherwise, I don't see the risk.

Isn't it conceivable there are trusts with the same name, located in the same city? How does the ATF deal with this? Example: "John Smith Trust", Boston, MA. Are street addresses engraved on receivers?
Yes, Serial Numbers?, No.

Back
Top Bottom