• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

~ Has This Happened to You? . . .

~ HOME ON THE RANGE ~
REM-DEFECT11.jpg

A week or so ago I went to the range for a few hours of relaxing target shooting. What I have to report to the troops here is rather minor in nature. I was hoping that others out here could relate to the Clan any troubles they may have had through the years with factory ammo.​

REM-DEFECT22.jpg
REM-DEFECT3.jpg

The photo on the left is the end flap of the box the offending cartridge resided in. I haven't fired many boxes of these rounds because I used to reload (and hopefully will again fairly shortly) but this is the first hint of trouble I've ever had with them. The photo on the right is the proud standing but defective Remington cartridge in question.​

REM-DEFECT4.jpg
REM-DEFECT55.jpg

Ahh, now we're honing in on the culprit. These two photos gets us down-n-dirty with the wayward round. Who'd-a-thunk that quality control would allow this charlatan out the door? Just shows ta go ya, that anything is possible in this day and age!​

REM-DEFECT6.jpg

The photo above shows that the pronounced lip of metal will not allow the cartridge to fully seat in the chamber of the S&W model 586 revolver. You would think that with the hairy-eyeball that I give the ammo before loading them that I would have caught it. Hell no, I'm lucky to remember to check the bullet and primer depth before loading the gun. Who'd think to seek out the ejector groove for trouble? Of course the cylinder would not close because of the protruding cartridge but that was the only one in that box or any other box of Remington ammo that I've used.

I believe I'm going to send Remington all the info and photos about this defective ammo round and see if they'll make good with a gift certificate for a case of ammo for my troubles! Ya, I know, FAT CHANCE!​
[laugh]

Last edited:
What a very detailed and informed post. I do not shoot .38 but 9mm and .40

I use Remington as well and never seen something like this. I will keep my eyes open for sure.

I would send this in an email to Remington and follow up with them. They might have had a problem and the more information they get from the general public will help them out.

Contact them, give them the data on the box (lot number, etc). I know that some manufacturers will give you another box.

I believe I'm going to send Remington all the info and photos about this defective ammo round and see if they'll make good with a gift certificate for a case of ammo for my troubles! Ya, I know, FAT CHANCE![/INDENT]
[laugh]

Better yet, tell them they are lucky that it didnt fit into your revolver or you would be suing them for a million bux.

Back
Top Bottom