Has this happened to anyone??

kiver

NES Member
I am decapping range 9 mm and broke a case in half. The top part of the case is stuck in the die. It is a Lee carbide. Checking all the brass again. I did not see any defect in the broken case prior
ru4u2apa.jpg

Last edited:
Holy sheep shit batman! I'm quessing you missed a split. Did you get the other half out yet?

The dies are cardide and I dought if you took a brass rod from the top and tapped it out it will not hurt the die at all ,it is some of the hardest metal :) also try putting it in the freezer for a few hours to shrink the brass and it might just fall out with little or no help.

Did you clean the brass first?

I never had that happen, but I have had primers break (bottom of the primer came out but not the sides) on brass that sat in snow all winter.

Did you clean the brass first?

I never had that happen, but I have had primers break (bottom of the primer came out but not the sides) on brass that sat in snow all winter.

Yup..tumbled for 6 hours. I was not happy with it and tumbled another two hours before I started. I did not even notice it was broken. I decapped another 3 or four rounds and then saw it in the bin

Yup..tumbled for 6 hours. I was not happy with it and tumbled another two hours before I started. I did not even notice it was broken. I decapped another 3 or four rounds and then saw it in the bin
Decapped or decapped & sized? If you sized any other cases with a chunk of case stuck in the die, I'd inspect them prior to loading. If you just decapped them, how the hell did a case break off inside a decapping die?

Decapped or decapped & sized? If you sized any other cases with a chunk of case stuck in the die, I'd inspect them prior to loading. If you just decapped them, how the hell did a case break off inside a decapping die?

Decapped and sized. I threw all of the cases in a bucket to re evaluate later

Did the case have a cannelure around it? I could see that becoming a weak area. Was the 9mm fired in a 40 S&W chamber and then folded over on itself in the sizing die and breaking in 2? Just one of those freak things?

I have had a few get stuck in a Lee die. You need to use a set of pliers and hold the base with them. Then use a wrench and loosen the top nut (I think it is 1/2" or so) you can then tap it out. They have a video on their website how to remove a stuck case for a resizing/decapping die.

Back
Top Bottom