• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard's USPSA match 4/9

Another good, challenging match at Harvard yesterday. Congratulations to Matt for his performance. There were several new shooters on my squad, they seemed to enjoy themselves and hopefully they'll be back. Hopefully my back will recover from the chair stage in a few days [smile] Pete, I believe a happy birthday is in order.

I pulled something on that seated stage too when I rotated to the far right. It took a while to walk it off. I liked the concept of shooting out of a vehicle but the footing was hard to police. The field courses were great and the mover was interesting.

Happy birthday Pete. You should go out and buy yourself something nice.

Steve,
I shot half that stage strong hand only. It was the only way I could line up with the targets. I guess my best hits were on those targets, and the poppers all fell like they were supposed to. My winter bullseye shooting came in handy. I was slow, but not as bad as some guys.

Thanks,

Had a great time, The stages were great. First time shooting a moving target. Thanksfully everyone was helpfull about the amount of lead it needed

That chair stage was a bitch, I think my ankle rotated all the way around on that one. I started with both feet touching the wall, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep my weak foot planted

Happy B-Day Pete

Thanks Dan.
I always like Harvard because it tends to be the most challenging each month, as it's the biggest match of the month with the deepest competition.
But now I have knee pain from that silly chair stage
Honestly, if you're gonna do a drive by, you gonna stay sitting feet forward and planted on the car floor? I know everytime I go on drive bys, my feet aren't on the floor, usually, i'm up on the seat, hanging out the window.
No wonder I didn't win that stage

He does the hang out. I've been a driver. Also, anytime he wants to pop more than 9 gangbangers at one house, he makes me take at least two passes by the crib while he does a reload.

You guys need to talk to me about the end of season driveby practice - we usually use a pickup, but sometimes have to settle for an SUV.

GTOShootr said:
I pulled something on that seated stage too when I rotated to the far right. It took a while to walk it off. I liked the concept of shooting out of a vehicle but the footing was hard to police. The field courses were great and the mover was interesting.

Happy birthday Pete. You should go out and buy yourself something nice.

Thanks everyone for wishing me a happy birthday... I did buy myself something nice... I got a new motorcycle...

That was a tough match for sure. I shot the worst I have in a long time... hehe Looks like I need some more practice...

Luckily there is a match this weekend so I can build my confidence back after the Harvard Match... Def. a great challenging match and I can't wait till next months match.

shootin' buddy said:
Steve,
Matt usually doesn't need to reload when he uses the big stick.

Jeff, i reload because I have the time while Steve is busy slowing down and turning around whatever race car he's stolen out of his dad's garage that day.
I dont want to run dry, it's like reloading on the move when there are no targets to engage, ya know?
Probably should just use the Tec 9

PistolPete said:
That was a tough match for sure. I shot the worst I have in a long time... hehe Looks like I need some more practice..

Pete,
Just remember that when the RO asks if you understand the course of fire, and you say Yes, make sure you understand! That one stage, even though it was only a classifier, hurt.

Dan S said:
Pete,
Just remember that when the RO asks if you understand the course of fire, and you say Yes, make sure you understand! That one stage, even though it was only a classifier, hurt.

Good advice. I made a mental mistake of not topping off a mag and using a barney round. Use as much time as you need to do a mental check list before you say you are ready. I've realized people may bust on you for seemingly taking a long time, but it is worth it and within the rules.

Ok, I'm glad to see that the Drive-by Stage has initiated so much humorous banter. At least something good came of it. It was the worst stage I've ever designed, but somehow it seemed like a good idea at the time. And to top it off, while reviewing the stage briefing that I'd written several months ago, I thought, "why 2 mandatory reloads? That's stupid." So I deleted the reloads late Saturday night. And of course, the resultant stage didn't meet the 9 round rule. Whaddya gonna do except learn from your mistakes (and don't revise courses after a bunch of beer and wine).

From now on, I'm gonna stick with the usual 50-75 yards of running. (Unless of course Jac-Jac makes a return; then it will only be 40 yards.)

I liked the Drive-by Stage. I liked all the stages, You should have kept the 2 reloads, then I wouldn't feel bad that I had to reload twice on that stage.

Good fun, look forward to the next one

Is the wait for your Brazo's driving you to drink? [wink]

We're really just joking. The important thing was that the course was the same for all of us. I don't know about the feet position thing but it is not like some of us had to make a mandatory reload and some of us didn't.

I thought the mixture of stages was perfect (fixed time course with distance on a mover, 2 field courses, a medium sized course, and a speed shoot). We're so lucky to have a club that runs five stages so well. People came all the way from central Vermont to shoot Sunday at Harvard.

Last edited:
Dan - Since we're not doing an Area Handgun Championship at Harvard this year, we may want to consider one semi-big match. I'll volunteer the Hopkinton crew for a drive-by stage, provided we can find a pickup truck - we can no doubt make a nice seat for the back or use a park bench. Just reserve the far pit tucked behing the 200 yard range for the stage.

Dan,

When that Brazos gun arrives we all expect a full report and a ton of pictures. Hopefully you'll have it this week.

Pete

Dan, I appreciate your designing and setting up the stage, but will still bust on it on here since my knees seem to still be bothering me from that.
And I do have aTec 9, and Steve's dad does have a bunch of race cars, and well, I'd like to go on a bunch of Driveby shootings with him. Honestly. I think we should take back the streets from the gangs with overwhelming firepower. this MS13 nonsense that is going on needs to be stopped with extreme prejudice. Of course, opening the borders and giving sanctuary is going to only increase the threat of that gang, and others from central america.
So i believe that we need more drive by stages.
And I agree with the Beta C mag idea.
And if those fools think IPSC will get us killed, I only can think that yeah, it will, if we go back to pick up our brass and we accidently left a few of them alive.
So lets mandate 3 on each target next time
It's the only way to be sure.

As for Harvard, that was a huge match, you guys might consider going to 6 stages a match so you've got smaller, faster squads.
that would be way cool, almost like shooting an area match once a month.
You guys do a great job every month, I consider the 2nd sunday the most important one every month

And by the way, if you're going to take up designing stages after drinking too much, you're going to have to start paying me royalties.

Brazos gun??? Dan are you going open? Or, getting a fancy limited gun?
By the way, my back is no worse than normal after the chair stage. I just had to shoot all the right hand targets strong hand only.

Last edited:
38supermatt said:
I know everytime I go on drive bys, my feet aren't on the floor, usually, i'm up on the seat, hanging out the window.

TRUE - he even had his AR painted Toyota Metallic Teal at a body shop so it would blend in w/the car. [laugh]

Scrivener said:
TRUE - he even had his AR painted Toyota Metallic Teal at a body shop so it would blend in w/the car. [laugh]

It blends in with Jeff's Toyota MR2 race car
You dont see it because it's still in his garage getting more modifications
wicked fast
No point blending it in with my car, i cant hang out the window and shoot at the same time with my own car

Let me know when the next drive-by practice happens. I'd like to shoot some video from the back seat (... and it might be the only safe place if Matt is hosing the world with a Tec.) I promise to keep my head low so as not to mess up the glamorous color scheme.

The Brazos is a limited gun. I think I've got another solid 6 to 7 weeks before my eyes are bad enough to justify an open gun.
(But now that I've got the Para working reliably, it seems like an awful lot of money to get 20 rounds instead of 17. At least it will be pretty.)

One more thing, we almost went 6 stages this past Sunday. We decided to lay back a bit for opening day. We hope to be at 6 next month.

Dan Hurley said:
(But now that I've got the Para working reliably, it seems like an awful lot of money to get 20 rounds instead of 17. At least it will be pretty.)

Yeah, and it burns a little more when you think about that Glock 35 that holds 20+1 for a quarter of the price.

Back
Top Bottom