Harvard SG Match

Dan,

Luckily there weren’t any women, children or other sensitive types around after I ran my gun dry the First Time on the windmill as I was verbally expressing my thoughts about the lovely windmill and my inability to hit the dang thing!

David

They are simply scared of it!

With the low cost of SG ammo in general, I would have expected a lot more shooters. JAR gets a pass for a wedding but since it was NOT his, only half a pass [laugh]

It doesn't take much to play. The gun I used this weekend was a Rem 870 I paid $100 for. Yes, I changed the barrel and added a couple things but I don't think I have $350 into it as I shot it. I had a VERY good time too.

I like shotgun almost as much as rifle and enjoy the games. I am hoping for a MRA shotgun steel match this winter. How about it 10MM Dave? let me know if it happens.

(Wish I lived closer to MRA)

With the low cost of SG ammo in general, I would have expected a lot more shooters. JAR gets a pass for a wedding but since it was NOT his, only half a pass [laugh]

It doesn't take much to play. The gun I used this weekend was a Rem 870 I paid $100 for. Yes, I changed the barrel and added a couple things but I don't think I have $350 into it as I shot it. I had a VERY good time too.

I like shotgun almost as much as rifle and enjoy the games. I am hoping for a MRA shotgun steel match this winter. How about it 10MM Dave? let me know if it happens.

(Wish I lived closer to MRA)

Hehe, thanks. If shotgun steel happens at MRA, I'm there. The equipment needed to be reasonably competitive in shotgun is much cheaper than rifle or pistol.

Jeff, you do get a pass. Besides if it were your wedding, your shooting days could be over.[smile]
While shotgun prices can go from the pistol equivlent of Production to Limited, and maybe an Open pistol, it takes some practice to be proficient in loading them. That is probably what keeps people from shooting them more. My question is, if you have one, and don't shoot it, why did you buy it?
It's an exercise in beating the dead horse. [sad]

Jeff, you do get a pass. Besides if it were your wedding, your shooting days could be over.[smile]
While shotgun prices can go from the pistol equivlent of Production to Limited, and maybe an Open pistol, it takes some practice to be proficient in loading them. That is probably what keeps people from shooting them more. My question is, if you have one, and don't shoot it, why did you buy it?

I find shooting tube shotguns annoying. Loading takes forever even if you are good at it. I'm even annoyed with it when I RO.

Its just to slow, no running around blasting at targets like you do with Pistol or Rifle, no constant hosing. Shoot a few, load a few... it a few steps above a muzzle loader.

Now a box fed shotgun is fun

I just hate shotguns. They're long, heavy, recoil quite a bit, run out of ammo in a flash, and I find them just unpleasant to shoot. I own one just so I know vaguely how to shoot it, in case I'm ever time-traveled back to the 1750s, where shooting a blunderbuss might be actually useful.

I shoot shotgun more naturally than pistol or rifle - that said, I'm slow to reload and the cheap pump gun didn't help.

Like I said before the match was great and the price was right. I really appreciate the efforts of all that put on these matches.

Some of the guys I shoot with SE CT thought that the drive was a bit long for 4 stages.

I like matches that have less fancy stage designs/barricades and more shooting, like this match (less work/overhead/prep time).

I'm thinking 7 stages for a little more money say $50, would have brought in more shooters?

Everything’s has its goods and bads.

David E.

Some of the guys I shoot with SE CT thought that the drive was a bit long for 4 stages.

I like matches that have less fancy stage designs/barricades and more shooting, like this match (less work/overhead/prep time).

I'm thinking 7 stages for a little more money say $50, would have brought in more shooters?

Everything’s has its goods and bads.

David E.
David,
Did they shoot the match at Bradford? That fit your criteria.

Dan,
No they didn't shoot Bradford. Knowing what I know now I would have promoted Bradford more. Maybe for both of these matches it was a matter of getting the word out? I don't think Bradford was on the USPSA site and maybe not mentioned here until just before the match? Not sure how to get the word out better.

Just another plug for the Bradford match, it was great! So if you and or Mark are involved with a match I will most likely be there.

David E.

Last edited:
David,
Mark didn't get the okay from the club until late August. As soon as he did, I posted it. It wasn't a USPSA match, so, it couldn't be on that site.

I find shooting tube shotguns annoying. Loading takes forever even if you are good at it. I'm even annoyed with it when I RO.

Its just to slow, no running around blasting at targets like you do with Pistol or Rifle, no constant hosing. Shoot a few, load a few... it a few steps above a muzzle loader.

Greg S had one of these R and R puppies with twin baffle-type rocket booster muzzle brakes, left handed bolt handle, monster mags with their own belt clips, etc., etc. The thing was awesome and it ran great. The muzzle never moved. Reloads were unbelievable. I am sooooo jealous.

http://randrtargets.com/site/photo-galleryvideos/

A few steps above a muzzle loader? Maybe when you shoot em [grin]

Greg S had one of these R and R puppies with twin baffle-type rocket booster muzzle brakes, left handed bolt handle, monster mags with their own belt clips, etc., etc. The thing was awesome and it ran great. The muzzle never moved. Reloads were unbelievable. I am sooooo jealous.
Were I to go to Open, I'd be gettina an Akdal from Firebird Precision. It's AR like including a straight in mag system. I shot a stock one in August, the thing has a lot of potential. It is a heck of a lot cheaper too, in comparison to the Saiga.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132733

Back
Top Bottom