Harvard SG Match

I need a little information on the upcoming (11/13) shotgun match at Harvard. I'm a little short on mag pouches and need to know how many rounds I will need per stage.

I need a little information on the upcoming (11/13) shotgun match at Harvard. I'm a little short on mag pouches and need to know how many rounds I will need per stage.
Fred,
You need shell holders not mag pouches, unless you got a Saiga! I'll have some extras with me, if you need 6 round Choate caddies.

Fred,
You need shell holders not mag pouches, unless you got a Saiga! I'll have some extras with me, if you need 6 round Choate caddies.

I have three six round shell holders. With 8+1 in the gun I will have 27 rounds. Will that be enough? A lso how much shot and slug rounds will be enough?

PS I have no idea what a "Choate caddy" is. Sounds like something I might need at the country club.

Currently there is no information as to round count, or any information at all. The shell holders you have are probably made by Choate. You've probably had them since the Miller! Just bring a case of ammo, and 50 slugs, and you'll be ready for anything.[devil] You'll also likely bring the majority of the ammo home.

Currently there is no information as to round count, or any information at all. The shell holders you have are probably made by Choate. You've probably had them since the Miller! Just bring a case of ammo, and 50 slugs, and you'll be ready for anything.[devil] You'll also likely bring the majority of the ammo home.

Can you give me a more realistic estimate of ammo count? I don't want to have any left over.

The official site for match announcements in this section is http://www.uspsa-ne.org/

Info from there is
USPSA NE SECTION web site said:
HAS Shotgun Match - USPSA

Maybe 4 Stages, 3 all birdshot on steel targets, 1 all slugs on paper. Match Fee: $20.00; Registration begins: 8:15AM; Shooters Meeting: 9:00AM. Birdshot must be lead #7- #9. Lead slugs..

Last edited:
Let's hope the HAS people provide us with a more accurate round count prior to the match.

Let's hope the HAS people provide us with a more accurate round count prior to the match.

Plans for the match will not form up until we do more detailed planning which begins to happen after our Wednesday night practice. We should have a rough count at that point as we determine stage types and designers but round counts will not be fixed until Saturday after set-up.

Gammon,

So bring 600 rounds of #7 1/2 or #8 and 100 rounds of Federal Low Recoil slugs.

You will be sure to have enough and any you don't want to carry back with you I will gladely take off your hands.

None of that Walmart crap either.

David E.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. But really, 150 rounds of shot and 25 slugs should be more than enough.

If you were to run short and you are a nice guy I will give you some shells.

Does anyone go to a shotgun match or 3-gun match without at least 200 rounds of shot and 50 slugs?

Last edited:
Based upon the number/type of stages, I'll bring 150 shot and 45-50 slugs.
You must suck with slugs! Overall, I'm GUESSING the amount of shot you listed will do the job. Slugs, who knows. Maybe someone in the set up crew has a bunch they want to burn up, and will have a big slug stage.[rofl]

You must suck with slugs! Overall, I'm GUESSING the amount of shot you listed will do the job. Slugs, who knows. Maybe someone in the set up crew has a bunch they want to burn up, and will have a big slug stage.[rofl]

The big problem is coming with just enough slugs, and having to do a reshoot. [smile]

Does anyone go to a shotgun match or 3-gun match without at least 200 rounds of shot and 50 slugs?

I always bring plenty of shot, but for a while I bought slugs as needed, so I'd take the posted slug count and make sure I had at least double. I didn't take any slugs to Mark's shotgun match in RI or the Coast Guard 3-gun. [wink]

I just bought a case of B&P slugs, so once I learn where those hit and confirm reliability, I'll have plenty for a while. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town this weekend and miss the match.

I always bring plenty of shot, but for a while I bought slugs as needed, so I'd take the posted slug count and make sure I had at least double. I didn't take any slugs to Mark's shotgun match in RI or the Coast Guard 3-gun. [wink]

I just bought a case of B&P slugs, so once I learn where those hit and confirm reliability, I'll have plenty for a while. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town this weekend and miss the match.

I like the B&P slugs and so does my 11-87. I am on my second case.

As to how much ammo, the first major out of state match I went to, I ran out of ammo on the last stage. I will NEVER run out of ammo again.

For shotgun, I always have shot and slugs and plenty of it. For pistol, I always have double what I think I may need. For rifle, again, double what I think I may need all in clips ready to go.

Ammo is cheaper than the gasoline it takes me to get to most matches and home and I would never ask to someone to supply me with ammo.

The big problem is coming with just enough slugs, and having to do a reshoot. [smile]
Don,
I always have enough ammo, just for that reason. I probably left 30% of the ammo I sent to New Mexico with a friend. Not to mention roughly half a case of shotshells.

Can anyone give me a realistic estimate of how many shotshells and slugs I should buy? A whole case seems liek overkill.

Right now I have 150 rounds of shot and 50 rounds of slugs. I would hate to have to load any more but will if necessary. A rough estimate would help.

Can anyone give me a realistic estimate of how many shotshells and slugs I should buy? A whole case seems liek overkill.
Several people have given you a realistic estimate based upon 3 shotshell stages and one slug stage. There are variables for which you cannot account. If you do things right you will always have ammo left over. If you go home without any ammo you've planned poorly.

I didn't mind the windmill at all. My biggest issue was my puny 5 round tube and extraordinarily slow reloads.

Thanks to Al for driving the match. Fun stages, good company, guns....how can it be better than that? Oh, seeing David have trouble with the windmill...frosting on the cake![devil] David, I needed something to keep the gap closer.

I had a great time. Enjoyed the shooting and the company. Learned a lot so maybe I'll be a little better prepared for the next one. Thanks to all the people who made this match possible.

Back
Top Bottom