• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Happy Blizzard. Guess what this is...

By assumption you guessed the pull start from my snow blower, and you are correct. I both ran out of gas and then broke the rope on the restart. Had to spend an hour fishing the remains out of the wheel and back up the alley. Fortunately it broke a foot from the top and not the bottom so its still usable.

Now there's a stupid design; made in China. The pulley wheel is pressed into the mount so that you can not remove it to thread a new pull cord - you have to buy a whole new housing - and it probably costs $100.

t

Last edited:
I ran out of gas today too... and then spilled a bunch when I was refilling a hot engine. I thought for sure I was going to set it on fire.

I've had to buy a few pull cord replacements in the past few years, the kids abused the hell out of the ones on their mini bikes. They're about ~$15 on ebay and other online sources.

Now there's a stupid design; made in China. The pulley wheel is pressed into the mount so that you can not remove it to thread a new pull cord - you have to buy a whole new housing - and it probably costs $100.

only stupid for us owners, not the company making the replacements for 10 bucks and selling them for 100.

I have the smallest Ariens; 5220. This snow is too much for it. At least I haven't broken a shear pin yet - and I DO have one of those.

t

I had to replace an auger belt after last storm.. Rather than paying the $30 at John Deere, I spent $8 on Amazon.. installed it myself, tested it and thought I was good.

After running for about 30 minutes today, blower stops throwing and, belt housing starts smoking.. I guess the belt had expanded and wasn't moving.. so after another 1/2 hour screwing around trying to adjust it, I finally got it going again.. I think this summer I'll need to take it to Norfolk Power and get it a good service.. It's 23 yrs old, and been at least 7 yrs since I brought it in... time for a checkup..

This year I was finally smart. Weeks before the first snow I took it apart and replaced some belts, bearings and that continuously variable transmission rubber wheel thingy. I learned my lesson in the record setting snows of 2014-15 when the bronze worm gear that drives the augers fell apart at the start of one of the 20' blizzards. It took a week to get that part[frown]

I must say my snowblower repair guy is pretty amazing.... he loaned me his extra snowblower to get though this storm since my machine died in the last storm. It needs an auger belt AND an auger bearing. Thumbs up

Looks mostly done. 1 foot very wet, heavy snow 3 miles N of the Cape Cod Canal. Could only cut 4-6" per pass and couldn't throw it very far. I assume I threw the same snow 2-3 times to clear the drive. Will clear the cars tomorrow. Power has been blipping all day. Generator cut in 4 times.

We lost power for 5 days the first nor'easter, and were fine on the second.

t

I went out for round 2 and couldn't get the snowblower working. I replaced a broken auger belt about 3 weeks ago with aftermarket replacement. Now the auger belt is not engaging and appears far too loose with way too much slack. Although the belt is not broken, there is now a single crack in it. Adjusting the auger belt adjustment pulley to it's tightest setting still does not engage the belt.

Not sure what the problem could be.. it's not that complicated I've checked that I put on the right sized belt.. really not sure how it could be so loose now. I also checked the impeller and it seems to spin freely.. any thoughts?

I went out for round 2 and couldn't get the snowblower working. I replaced a broken auger belt about 3 weeks ago with aftermarket replacement. Now the auger belt is not engaging and appears far too loose with way too much slack. Although the belt is not broken, there is now a single crack in it. Adjusting the auger belt adjustment pulley to it's tightest setting still does not engage the belt.

Not sure what the problem could be.. it's not that complicated I've checked that I put on the right sized belt.. really not sure how it could be so loose now. I also checked the impeller and it seems to spin freely.. any thoughts?
1st make sure your drive pully is moving under load, rare but happens. 2 make sure the shaft to tour auger head is moving.
OEM might make thier parts in China but for the most part they work better than Chinese copies off amazon.
Also some blowers are very poorly made.
Tim looks like your cord failed do to rubbing on something sharp. ?
Snow blowers are fun. If you can get a factory Honda mines new in 1994 and still cranks, few oil changes, plugs and belts runs on old shitty gas pretty well to.

1st make sure your drive pully is moving under load, rare but happens. 2 make sure the shaft to tour auger head is moving.
OEM might make thier parts in China but for the most part they work better than Chinese copies off amazon.
Also some blowers are very poorly made.
Tim looks like your cord failed do to rubbing on something sharp. ?
Snow blowers are fun. If you can get a factory Honda mines new in 1994 and still cranks, few oil changes, plugs and belts runs on old shitty gas pretty well to.

it's a 1995 John Deere TRS26, with a Tecumseh engine I think... made in Canada (FWIW). Much of the same experience as your Honda.. Take it out, fill with new gas, starts right up, service every few years. Rarely had any problems. I will have to deal with it on Friday..

There are belts and then there are belts, not all belts are created equal. Snow blower belts need to be tough enough to have a pulley run on the back of it, most belts do NOT have this. Even though the belts are the same size, the snow blower belt has a tough layer of what looks like canvas all the way around it, the inside "V" as well as the backing. This prevents stretching and it won't slip when it gets soaked.
Don't cheep out on these belts, they are worth the money.

There are belts and then there are belts, not all belts are created equal. Snow blower belts need to be tough enough to have a pulley run on the back of it, most belts do NOT have this. Even though the belts are the same size, the snow blower belt has a tough layer of what looks like canvas all the way around it, the inside "V" as well as the backing. This prevents stretching and it won't slip when it gets soaked.
Don't cheep out on these belts, they are worth the money.

thanks.. Padula Bros told me that my belt was discontinued and an aftermarket was available for $8 + $16 s/h to warehouse, not even to my home. So I went on Amazon and found one around the same price, but with free shipping.. replacement for JD M122075... it does/did have the canvas on the back, but not anymore on the "V", which is just like the one I removed..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX4I2QE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thinkin more about it.. is it possible that if the impeller gets stuck with heavy snow, or if the auger gets stuck, the belt will slip on the pulley... if it slips enough the canvas will wear quickly, eventually fray, and come off, ruining the belt. I do recall there being a lot of fibers in the belt housing..??

maybe it's the auger linkage that needs to be cleaned out and re-greased..

my snow throwers also have electric start. I very rarely use the pull cord.

Mine also, seemed like a feature I did not care about. Pull started in the garage last year and proceeded to slam my tricep into the metal edge of a wall cabinet. I've been a fan ever since.

My cheap MTD 24" blower has worked admirably. It has an electric start but it is hardly worth the tiny effort of connecting the cord. A couple of pumps on the primer bulb and it fires up with one pull. It was even able to throw the slush we got in the last storm. I am glad that I did a "first pass" yesterday around 3:30. Time to go out and do the final clean up. At least we didn't lose power this time, but the genny was ready to go if we did.

That bottom 4" sucked and ruined a easy sweep. My poor small Honda still managed to get that slush 3' away while my neighbors yard machine just puked it onto itself.
Fun stuff. My cheap generator got a work out and I think if I didn't change the oil 2 times over the 6 days it would have thrown a crank.

Last storm my son was home and he took the snowblower out to clear the driveway.

This week he's away. So I start the snowblower up and when the auger starts turning I hear a very weird sound. I look into the mouth of the beast and there's some sort of plastic trip piece tangled up in there. DOH! So I carefully remove it, trying to keep my fingers intact.

I head out to the snow and something just ain't right. It's not blowing snow right, so back into the garage.

Sure enough both shear pins are busted too. AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Thanks, boy, for leaving me with a broken machine!

DYSA94xUMAEGuqn.jpg

Maybe join the buns and pass the time reading until the snow goes by the wayside itself.

JD 176 with direct drive blower is 25 years old and maintained flawlessly. First time ever the blower jammed with heavy, wet snow. Cleared it out and ran great. Only use MOBIL 1 and JD belts and parts. Generator is DYNA Natural Gas powered by 16 HP Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin. Ran it for 60 hours last week and checked oil every 4-6 hours - also MOBIL 1. Good oil is cheap insurance.

Maybe join the buns and pass the time reading until the snow goes by the wayside itself.

That's cruel; looks like my late Bun-San. He wasn't nearly as cultured.

More of a Red Neck at heart; or is that Red Paw?

Both shear pins survived this storm. I replaced one earlier in the winter. Joy of living on a dirt road. Bought it 1 year used in '16. Smallest Ariens "full" snowblower.

t

h4D55A421.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

I ran out of gas today too... and then spilled a bunch when I was refilling a hot engine. I thought for sure I was going to set it on fire.

People... PLEASE... when you have a hot engine and you run out of gas, call it a coffee break and just wait a little. refueling a hot motor is attempted suicide. Refuel BEFORE you run it. A full tank goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom