• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hang On Stand Question

In the past I have hunted using various ladder stands. This year I want to try to be a little more mobile. I purchased a set of muddy pro sticks. Now need to buy a new hang on stand. I was looking online at the Muddy Vantage, Lone Wolf Alpha & XOP Air Raid. Anyone have any experience with any of these stands? What attracted me to these three was that you could use their quick connect systems.

I am hesitant to buy the Lone Wolf or XOP as it appears that their quick connect systems do not use ratchet straps? Anyone own LW or XOP and can attest as to how secure you feel you can get the stand connected to the tree? Anyone use a different setup that they are happy with? How important is a stand that self levels?

Last edited:
I hunt in all 3 types of stand ladder, hang on and climber. All have their pros and cons. I'd never buy another ladder stand. Only reason I have 1 is because my girlfriend likes to come once and a while and it's a double stand. But I'm a hang on and climber guy all day.

To be honest if I'm going and plan on staying out all day I use my climber. Summit viper to be exact. Easily set up and quick to be 20 feet in the aIr

I use my hang ons for morning hints or evening hunts. I have an older muddy. A lone wolf and a millennium M100u and it's as close to comfort as your going to get out of a hang on. It's not the lightest but has a quick connect bracket and is easily set up. I'm actually thinking of buying a few more to hang around some private property that I hunt.

I have a Loc- On Spirit you can have for short money. Also a tree sling. Trail cams etc.

Damn, I have to post in yard sale. Lots of goodies for a price.

I use the lone wolf alpha assault and sticks. It's real easy to hang but It has a small foot platform. Both weigh in about the same as my summit climber. Fits nice on the back and doesn't hang up on the walk ins.
I have a bunch of gorilla stands I hang and leave locked up if there's an area I want to concentrate on. But the wolf is with me when I want to be mobile.
I have found the gel gorilla seat to be the best seats for long sits though.
I also gave up on carrying a pack...I just find it better to use my tactical tater turkey vest.

Despite what your momma told you, Violence does solve problems!

I use lone wolf alphas, I don't use the quick mount though, if you use the quick mount it changes the angle of the stand, if you tie a small circle of rope around the top support you can connect it to the quick mount as an extra hand when you are setting it up. I always feel super secure in the tree with the straps that they give you for it even though they are not ratchet straps. The owner of XOP is the creator and original owner of Lone wolf. if I didn't have 5 lone wolfs, I would get the XOP. their sticks have a nice system where they all lock together when transporting which is a nice feature, and the steps are wider.

Last edited:
I use lone wolf alphas, I don't use the quick mount though, if you use the quick mount it changes the angle of the stand, if you tie a small circle of rope around the top support you can connect it to the quick mount as an extra hand when you are setting it up. I always feel super secure in the tree with the straps that they give you for it even though they are not ratchet straps. The owner of XOP is the creator and original owner of Lone wolf. if I didn't have 5 lone wolfs, I would get the XOP. their sticks have a nice system where they all lock together when transporting which is a nice feature, and the steps are wider.

Have you had a chance to view the XOP stand in the person? Reviews on the internet / Facebook are all over the place. I like that their Max model is one of the widest around and can be found for under $200.00

Hang on stands won't make you mobile, a climber will.

Depends on how you use it.

Plenty of hunters carry it in and out on a daily basis. Weight is comparable depending on the equipment and it will get you in crooked trees and trees with branches that you can't get into with a climber.

You can also put them up for the season or for multiple weeks.

It depends on your strategy and approach. If I was a young guy just starting out I would go the hang on route with a good cast aluminum stand. But, I am an old fart and like the comfort of my Summit.

Bob

Hang on stands won't make you mobile, a climber will.

I have to disagree my friend. I have a Lone Wolf Assault and 4 sticks. I almost never hunt the same spot twice. Completely mobile with that setup. I like it more too because I can get up into crooked trees with limbs. Those trees often offer the best cover too. My Summit Viper hasn't come out of the basement since I got my Assault. I'll never go back. The one thing my Viper does have over the assault is comfort. But it's far more noisy, bulky, and in my opinion limited in it's deployment ability - requiring a straight limbless tree.

Here's my mobile hang on setup:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3wJW8El7IvTWDFCSkVZb3hrNjg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3wJW8El7IvTYk5NcXU5eFlSWWc

In the past I have hunted using various ladder stands. This year I want to try to be a little more mobile. I purchased a set of muddy pro sticks. Now need to buy a new hang on stand. I was looking online at the Muddy Vantage, Lone Wolf Alpha & XOP Air Raid. Anyone have any experience with any of these stands? What attracted me to these three was that you could use their quick connect systems.

I am hesitant to buy the Lone Wolf or XOP as it appears that their quick connect systems do not use ratchet straps? Anyone own LW or XOP and can attest as to how secure you feel you can get the stand connected to the tree? Anyone use a different setup that they are happy with? How important is a stand that self levels?

Very secure.... I actually replaced part of my tree strap with 1" tubular webbing so it can go around larger trees. I used a figure-8 knot to make the loop... Check out the pics I posted. Lone Wolf is by far the most popular brand for those hunting mobile and using a hang on. They're very quiet, light weight, and aren't bulky. They're also quick to setup.

Check out this video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fQeTZ_kpM

Don't bother with those quick attach setup things. Those are meant to be left on the tree. If you're truly mobile you won't be in the same tree which defeats the purpose. Using them also means metal on metal contact (noise). That's a no go in my book. I hunt close to suspected bedding. Also look up on you tube how to cam-lock the stand to the tree. Basically put your knee of one leg on the seat and use your foot of the other leg to pivot up the platform and then push it back down. The stand will slide down the tree an inch or two. When you push the platform back out it pulls the stand against the tree tightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idPMREocQhQ

FF to 3:15. I don't use the "outfitter" strap. Most people who use these stands don't. The original model didn't even come with the lower strap.

Last edited:
My idea of being mobile is not what's in that video. I understand with a hang on you get a better choice of tree, but lugging that in, in the dark and setting it up, only to break it all down (to be mobile) and move to another location and do it all again and not break a sweat is ridiculous .

Hang on stands are cheap. Buy a few and put them up in different locations, and save yourself the extra noise you'll be making moving your set around all over the place.

The only time I'm moving is during gun season. When the deer are chasing and ready to rut, I'm sitting in one spot and not moving till it's dark.

I ended up going with a Muddy stand and their supermount system. Biggest draw for me was that is had a larger platform than the Lone Wolf. Which is something I wanted. I didn't care about the few extra pounds that a larger platform adds. I will say that the Muddy Supermount is a little heaver than I expected. I'm not sure if I will end up using it.

At first the smaller platform of my assault was a little, shall we call it, uncomfortable. It definitely keeps you on your toes. But after a couple hunts I got used to it and appreciate the weight reduction and less bulk more. I tend to hike in pretty far slogging through some pretty nasty swamps too so every pound counts.

Boxer is right about one thing too. Nothing beats just walking up to a tree with a pre-hung stand. I have a number of millennium stands for just that purpose. Sadly the land I hunt doesn't lend itself so much to that type of hunting because of the limitations that come in exchange for that convenience. I need to be more mobile as to allow me to adjust to changing conditions. The swamp I hunt is pretty heavily pressured, deer are well educated, and the conditions change form year to year (drought vs wet, mast vs no mast, etc) and all of that means the deer generally aren't in the same places. A mobile setup better allows me to adapt to those changing conditions. For example last year I was in a area I've had some success from. It was a pretty good spot. Then another slob comes marching through making a bunch of noise, dragging a sock he soaked with deer urine out of a bottle. He sets up 50 yards from my stand (WTF?) after he spent 30 minutes cutting limbs (more noise) to make a quick makeshift blind. Okay so that area is now pretty much blown. If that were a permanent stand then I just lost that area. But with a mobile setup you can adapt and relocate 300 yards down a transition line in the land to catch the deer he likely pushed. I also don't like leaving human sign. It lets others know where I hunt or how I access.Hell they may even hunt out of your stand on you. One year a few folks must have seen me dragging a deer out of the wood line to my truck. The next weekend there were 4 trucks in the parking lot of that small - and until that point previously overlooked - piece of woods. Post season scouting I found 6 newly installed ladder stands that weren't there before I dragged out that deer... Again the need arose to adapt. I saw the trucks, I moved on. I scouted in January to assess the damage and confirmed my thoughts at the time that the woods were blown. But - no one set up close to where I had shot that deer. Because they didn't know. They didn't know because I didn't leave a stand, mark a trail with glow tacks, cut shooting "lanes" that are as wide as an airport runway, etc... Yotes took care of the gut pile for me. That after I dragged the deer a couple hundred yards from my stand before gutting it anyway.

But it all depends and really it's an individual choice. In a couple spots I have that are a couple miles back in the swamps that you have to get through knee high water to access - yea I may leave a hang on out there. Just for ease of use. If I want to relocate 50 to 100 yards or whatever based on my observations I bring the mobile setup next time out.

But my hunting style is probably a little different then a lot of folks. I almost never end up in the same tree. So leaving hang ons out in the woods doesn't make the most sense for me. But I haven't been doing this as long as some others either. So I need to work harder at getting close to deer whereas maybe others already have that part figured out. IDK... I only do what I have personally observed works for me. I see more deer when mobile and hunting different spots. I also like to hunt that way as it allows me to break up the woods into sections. I then ID the best spots within a section based on maps, and hunt it. Then move on deeper into the woods one section at a time. One thing I found is that I don't like to go to the deepest spots right away as you blow up the entire woods on your way in/out. I start shallow and progressive follow sign into deeper and deeper woods as the season progresses and the deer pick up on pressure. Obviously based on wind, thermals, etc... So I do a lot of blind hunting too. That's another benefit to a hang on mobile setup. You have no idea what you'll have for a tree when you get to where you want to be. You don't want the limitations of your stand (requiring a straight limbless tree) to take you out of the game/distance after you just hiked a mile in hip boots.

The lone wolf setup is very quiet as well. I've setup within 75 yards of bedding and had deer not know I was there. Shot a decent buck this last year that way in the closing days of archery. He got up ( I saw him get up) when there was about 20 minutes of light left, meandered my way munching on maple leaves as he slowly walked and when he got to me - that was that. Only regret about that day was the shot placement - liver. I recovered him the next AM though at first light.

Last edited:
I have all three as well and use them all. I have 2 ladders that have been up for a couple of years and I occasionally hunt them based on camera traffic. I use 3-5 hang-ons a year in various spots. I can be mobile in that I can set them up and take them down very quickly but I would never do that in the dark at the start of a hunt, just too much noise. I place them in good areas and keep them out for the season and possibly re-position a few of them to move into better spots.

I do like my lone wolf alpha the best by far. I also only use the lone wolf climbing sticks, expensive but I love them. I take the bottom 2 sections in and out for each hunt. I can very quietly get them back on and up the tree. Quieter than setting up and climbing up with a climber. I always bring 2 ratchet straps, one for the top and 1 for the bottom as in the past I have not done that and had creaks and noises.

Yes climbers are more mobile and I do like them. I just tend to do more hunts from the hang-ons. I have 2, a summit viper and the XOP enforcer. Viper is rock solid but also heavy and cumbersome. I like shooting sitting down if the opportunity presents so thats an issue with the viper. The XOP is very light and compact, much easier to pack but it's not nearly as comfortable or stable. I use it for shorter hunts and it's great in that I can still shoot sitting down.

I was going to start a thread but maybe I can get opinions here....... Best Climbing Tree Stand ??? never owned one.... Or something I never thought (Thanks FNH) of is climbing sticks and a hang on a better option ? All public land so its going in and coming out with me. along with backpack and bow of course. If this should be its own thread or there is one better suited please point me there. I did a few searches. Thanks!

It should be its own thread.

The best climber FOR ME is the Summit Goliath.

I like having the bar around me on the seat platform. The bar can be an issue for bowhunters and many prefer an open seat platform. I not with a crossbow so it isn't an issue for me.

I prefer the sit and climb method to using my forearms.

It is comfortable. I am old and fat. Comfort is king.

Everybody is different. I have a friend who swears by the treewalker. The best thing you can do is to talk to your friends and try as many as you can. Set up, climb, and break down. The whole process.

Bob.

Thanks Bob. I'll open a thread. I've been a ground guy as i'm not great with heights but can do it. I know being up is best.... so even with a bow I like the bar. Feel better cause I will probably will end up sleeping up there.

Back
Top Bottom