handgun

my father lives in stephentown ny (right near the MA border) and wants to know what are his chances of getting a carriers permit (or whatever its called in NY) and where does he get the paper work from, sherif or state police?

thanks for the help
Rob

Those are done with the county sherriff and is called a Pistol Permit.

Usually he is required to actually go and put a deposit on a handgun, and then include the handgun make, model and serial# on the permit application. Once approved he can go take posession of the handgun.

does the approvel process normaly take long (just wondering because i know NY isnt the most gun friendly state) like can it takes a couple months like it does in MA to get an LTC?

Your Dad lives in Rensselear County, and Rensselear County is pistol permit friendly. He will have to do all the paperwork which will take a long time. He can get it by calling the County Clerks office and ask for Joyce who handles the pistol permits. Joyce is a great lady who shoots and is very helpful. When he gets his permit, then he can go purchase a handgun, go back and see Joyce and it will be put on the permit. Rensselear issues permits that look like a credit card with your photograph and thumb print, and you handguns listed on the back. I hope this information helps..I'd give you Joyce's telephone number, but I'm at work[grin]

Back
Top Bottom