Hand cleaning brass

I'm reloading a 1000 rounds of 41mag. I started out by tumbling them in batches of 250, using brand new walnut media for 3 hours at a time.

These pieces were brand new only fired once, using 7grs of Unique. Some were loaded with 210gr berries and some were loaded with 210gr cast.

As I was reloading I noticed that about 50-60 pieces of brass out of the whole total amount had large black stains on them. The black marks won't come off by just trying to buff them.

The odd part about it is the brass was fairly clean and blemish free before I started tumbling them. The tumlber was dry and clean before I started. Also I'm positive they didn't come in to contact with any chemicals or moisture.

41mag brass cost me over $150 a 1000. So I would like to clean them by hand but the only thing that I can think of that cleans brass is brasso and I don't want to use that.

Any one ever seen this happen before and have a cure for it?

Last edited:
Bugs100 ~ I have read from other reloaders that you can use Brasso once or twice to clean brass without hurting it (hardening it) but regular use will tend to change its properties and harden it. I wouldn’t hesitate to spot clean with Brasso but perhaps the cleaner, polisher that you use in the tumbler, full strength, on a rag will probably do the trick also. JMHO
Just wondering...I hope that when you put your brass in the tumbler it is after you have already mixed the cleaner, polisher for a while with your cleaning media? If you put all in at the same time it is possible that the cleaning agent is adhering to the casings. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I just poured the walnut out of the tumbler and ran my fingers through it. It was dry and over all clean. So I threw 500 45's in it to see how they come out.

I'm starting to wonder if it was caused by the heavy red lube on the cast.

I found a site that you can use mineral oil to clean brass. So I'm going to try that first.

I started reloading at 4am and finished the 1000 rounds at 8am but that was really taking my time. I want to do about 4500 rounds of different calibers before it gets to hot.

I started reloading at 4am and finished the 1000 rounds at 8am but that was really taking my time. I want to do about 4500 rounds of different calibers before it gets to hot.

I'll give you credit for going 4 hours straight! I can't go that long.

I hear you about the heat.... I hope I don't go dry before the fall! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom