'Hamilton': 3 injured when audience flees at the show's shooting scene in San Francisco

NHCraigT

NES Member
LINK: 'Hamilton': 3 injured when audience flees during performance in San Francisco

Three people were injured Friday night when panicked audience members "self-evacuated" during a performance of the musical "Hamilton" in San Francisco, police said.

A woman in the audience had a medical emergency during the scene in which the title character, Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, is shot on stage, said Joseph Tomlinson, public information officer for the San Francisco police.

Audience members mistakenly thought there was a real-life shooting and rushed the exits, he said....

"I was in the balcony with my 6 and 9 year old. There was absolutely NO announcement. There was mass chaos and absolutely no support and direction from SHN staff. Extremely disappointed in how the event was handled."

Apparently Patron Laura Lasnier didn't get a trigger warning before the show. And everyone who panicked at the gunshot wasn't even watching the play, since the gunshot happened on the stage, as part of the play. And in real life, as Hamilton fans should know.

I'm sure she did get a trigger warning. I've been to a bunch of theater productions. Every time, there are trigger warnings in the program, right near where the cast's names are printed. Dry ice/smoke machines, gunshots, blood, peanuts, sexual content, they're all listed. It's not the play's fault that the audience didn't bother reading the damn programs.

Who doesn't know by now that "Hamilton" is going to contain gunfire?

response to my faceplant post about this said:
That’s a pretty damning indication of our country’s gun problem.

Ironically, I agree with her words completely, but not in the way she meant them.

People are so scared of their own shadow they are willing to trample each other because someone in a play about a guy who dies in a pistol duel, dies in a pistol duel.

I'm sure she did get a trigger warning. I've been to a bunch of theater productions. Every time, there are trigger warnings in the program, right near where the cast's names are printed. Dry ice/smoke machines, gunshots, blood, peanuts, sexual content, they're all listed. It's not the play's fault that the audience didn't bother reading the damn programs.

Who doesn't know by now that "Hamilton" is going to contain gunfire?

Exactly what I was thinking. And why the hell would you panic and evacuate because of something that happened on stage at a play? Sure, if it happened in the seats, but on stage? Morons

Saw my first play at age 10: seated floor center for Phantom of the Opera. I didn’t know the story involved the chandelier hanging directly over me FALLLING and then swinging toward the stage to crash.

I didn’t self-evacuate but grinned at how badass theater could be.

Back
Top Bottom