Had one of the good days at the range

whacko

NES Member
Getting my brother into hunting. He's a mass resident and has a holdup on getting an license in mass.....it'll happen (lawyer involved) but not till spring. So the plan is he's taken hunter Ed and ill show him the ropes on deer hunting in NH this season. Anyway went to the club to shoot some trap in the morning and I hit for 24 and 25 so felt good about that. Brother hit in the high teens which is good as he only shoots trap with me a couple times a year. I brought the muzzle loader hell be borrowing during nh deer season for him to practice with and get used to. Its an older tc omega I picked up used at ktp a few years ago. He did awesome and cloverleafed the first three shots at 50 yards but about 3 inches high. Rear sight is bottomed out so can't adjust it down anymore. But I had him shoot 3 rounds standing for actual practice and he got all three in the bullseye by lollipoping the bullseye. So he's good. He did great for not shooting much before. Next plan is to get one of those deer targets and have him take a couple shots at 50 yards to make sure he knows where to hold. A productive day for sure. Its always good to leave the range knowing you got some good results......even if its helping someone else.

I'm taking a neighborhood young man this afternoon. He's in his late 20's and never shot a gun.

I think his Mom and Dad are anti-gun. They think we're like the wild west at the gun club.

I already warned him the first half hour would be us discussing guns and learning the different types. And he won't be able to touch a gun until he's memorized the safety rules.

Me thinks he's a Call of Duty type. He's a software engineer by trade and very smart. I'm hoping he convince his Dad to come at some point. I've known the guy for 25 years and he likes and trusts me. But I expect they have some concerns about recreational shooters that are just not real.

:)

The absolute best day that I ever had at any range happened two years ago, when I was teaching my then-six year old daughter the art of riflecraft. She took to it like a natural, memorizing the 10 commandments of firearms safety and proper handling of a rifle. At 50 yards, she scored three head shots on a terrorist/hostage target, nailing the bad guy right in the noggin after very little practice. I was never so proud of her! When little Jill upgraded to a 10/22 last May, she handed down her Savage bolt-action to her younger sister, Lexi.

I'm taking a neighborhood young man this afternoon. He's in his late 20's and never shot a gun.

I think his Mom and Dad are anti-gun. They think we're like the wild west at the gun club.

I already warned him the first half hour would be us discussing guns and learning the different types. And he won't be able to touch a gun until he's memorized the safety rules.

Me thinks he's a Call of Duty type. He's a software engineer by trade and very smart. I'm hoping he convince his Dad to come at some point. I've known the guy for 25 years and he likes and trusts me. But I expect they have some concerns about recreational shooters that are just not real.

So we spent 3 hours at the range. We had a blast. This young fella had never shot before and he was really nervous. Part of it was his very anti-gun parents. And honestly he shot really well. He listened. He asked great questions. He was about accuracy vs just pulling the trigger.

A buddy of mine sat with him and gave him instructions. This is a guy who competed at Camp Perry many years and did very well. The kid was blown away at the social interaction.

This young fella suffers from some anxiety. I asked him at one point if he was comfortable. He said this was amazing. I explained how I find it to be cathartic and he agreed. You could see it in his eyes... he was hooked.

We're gonna try to get his Dad to join us on another visit. I suggested he tell his Dad how important safety is and how everyone was relaxed and friendly. No wild west stuff.

I think my job is done here... converted another one!

Back
Top Bottom