Gunsmith Training

Asking for some help or direction from you NES guys and gals. I am interested in possibly getting some formal training to become a gunsmith. Depending on time involved and cost I may want to just start out doing the basics as a hobbyist. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

I'm imterested in the same info, but very little time available.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

In MA, you need a state license and the MGLs (1998) forbid issuing that license to anyone not operating out of a commercially zoned building (non-residence). That shut down a lot of gunsmiths. I have a friend who packed up and left for VA when that law kicked in.

You might contact Greg Derr in Marshfield on what it takes to become a gunsmith, training-wise.

Good luck.

Gotcha LenS thanks and sorry about your friend. He doesnt like this state? Surprising.

He was a serious target shooter, did gunsmithing on the side for many years (at his house, no shop) and IIRC he was involved in teaching shooting skills at MMA. He landed a job with NRA, I was told. Haven't had any contact with him since he left MA.

American Gunsmithing Institute (can find them online) is a distance learning gunsmithing program. i have reviewed some of their stuff and if you are good at learning visualy, then the material is solid. It helps if you already good with mechanical things but assumes very little knowledge and I've taught friends of mine using the same techniques and they picked up on it aswell. Check out their hobby course and see if you can learn that way (think it's like 500 or something). If you can then it's a good starting point. Next could either be messing with all yoru friends guns (for free or little cost) to get hands on or see if you can offer to help out at a local shop.

the really good gunsmith's I've met were machinists, before they did gunsmithing. They learned machines - Bridgeports etc, and metal before building and/or repairing firearms. Certified Armorers like me, replace parts and diagnose - gunsmiths make things.

the really good gunsmith's I've met were machinists, before they did gunsmithing. They learned machines - Bridgeports etc, and metal before building and/or repairing firearms. Certified Armorers like me, replace parts and diagnose - gunsmiths make things.

Yup, and "real gunsmith training" includes operation of modern CNC machines, to the point where the graduates have machinist skills. The "gray area" in the middle is the pseudo-gunsmiths who know how to do a few thing like drill and tap a rifle for a scope, but couldn't blueprint an action or machine a 1911 slide for a low-mount sight if their life depended on it.

I have no problem with the CNC machining it's the wood working part that's holding me down...wood and I have issues lol.

I think the days of the general gunsmith are over. You need to determine what you want to specialize in. Target rifles, hunting rifles, target pistols, shotguns.....etc.....etc.... and the get the skills that allow you to develop a reputation and portfolio of work to show what you can do.

NRA has short term gunsmithing schools. If you combine that with some machining classes at community college you would be good-to-go as an apprentice. Be prepared to move though, unless you can find someone local to work under. I would not spend too much money on the AGI stuff unless there is something very specific you need to learn. You would be better off investing in some real gunsmithing books and tools.

B

Back
Top Bottom