• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmith in Southern CT

Hey all, it's my first time posting and I've just recently settled in the Fairfield area. Received my permit not too long ago and picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 last week from Bass Pro and I was wondering if there was a good gunsmith around to help me build up my rifle. I've heard from various forums and the clerk at Bass Pro that Gunsmithing ltd. is one of the best places in the region. Would they be a good choice to build my gun up (blueprinting, bedding, stock fitting, etc)? Being a lefty kinda sucks when you're left with the choice of bottom of the barrel rifles or extremely expensive custom guns. Building a budget rifle up to my tastes is my ultimate dream and I hope it can happen with the right gunsmith. Forgive me for my ignorance, have a good morning guys!

Yes they are good, as long as you are not in a rush. They tend to be busy all the time. I only had one small problem with their work in the 30 years I have been dealing with them. They did several jobs for me over the years.

Gunsmithing Ltd. is actually one guy named Mitch. Mitch's primary forte is high end competition shotguns. I would talk to Mitch a fair amount before sending him a custom bolt action rifle build. He's a great gunsmith and I've had him do two jobs for me. But I'm not sure I'd take a bolt action precision rifle project to him unless he was confident in his ability to able to do it.

Mitch is also an older (like 65+) guy, so I'd make sure he's still in business and not in Florida.

Yes they are good, as long as you are not in a rush. They tend to be busy all the time. I only had one small problem with their work in the 30 years I have been dealing with them. They did several jobs for me over the years.

Additionally, they are very expensive.

The two times I hired Mitch, his work was on time and at a fair price.

Jojo's is in southington and are pretty much the best in the state.
I've read up on them some and they primarily do work on 1911s and ARs, I'll give them a call sometime today. I was also thinking of driving down to NJ to work with Griffin & Howe for the work, would they also be a good choice? Thank you!

Gunsmithing Ltd. is actually one guy named Mitch. Mitch's primary forte is high end competition shotguns. I would talk to Mitch a fair amount before sending him a custom bolt action rifle build. He's a great gunsmith and I've had him do two jobs for me. But I'm not sure I'd take a bolt action precision rifle project to him unless he was confident in his ability to able to do it.

Mitch is also an older (like 65+) guy, so I'd make sure he's still in business and not in Florida.

The two times I hired Mitch, his work was on time and at a fair price.
Went today to just mount a scope for now and the guy that ringed me up wasn't Mitch, he was most likely in the back doing some work. But yeah, you're right about the shotgun aspect, two clients ahead of me just had work done on some over/unders. If you don't mind me asking, what work did he do for you? Thanks! Probably going to go to Griffin and Howe if they're not too much.

Went today to just mount a scope for now and the guy that ringed me up wasn't Mitch, he was most likely in the back doing some work. But yeah, you're right about the shotgun aspect, two clients ahead of me just had work done on some over/unders. If you don't mind me asking, what work did he do for you? Thanks! Probably going to go to Griffin and Howe if they're not too much.

I had Mitch blue a rusted, old slug gun barrel and mount a scout scope on a M1A. Both came out fine. No complaints about either.

I've heard of Griffin + Howe but only in passing. If this is going to be a high end build, I would research on the Sniper's Hide forum.

Smith Tactical in Oxford just opened up and seems to really have his stuff together. JoJo’s is never a bad option.

Jus
Smith Tactical in Oxford just opened up and seems to really have his stuff together. JoJo’s is never a bad option.
Just read the forums on CTguntalk they're very new so I wouldn't know the quality of what they're putting out. I'll check them out too, with the government contracts he has it's a sure sign he means business.

Ben seems like knows his stuff and I would give him the benefit of the doubt in most cases. That other forum you mentioned would be a good place to get in touch with him. Red Planet Arsenal in Waterbury (Henson’s place) is another option for you.

Back
Top Bottom