Guns, Permits and Bars

With this new con. carry all kinds of debate has started on Facebook, the new one is people are saying it is illegal to carry with a permit in Maine in a bar. I have taken many classes in Maine and all of them say you can as long as it is un posted and you are not legally drunk, can someone break down the law for me

http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/17-A/title17-Asec1057.html

[h=3]§1057. Possession of firearms in an establishment licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor[/h](CONFLICT)
1. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if:
A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a professional investigator licensed under Title 32, chapter 89 and actually performing as a professional investigator, the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons, in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction; or [2011, c. 366, §2 (AMD).]

B. While under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or a combination of liquor and drugs or with an excessive alcohol level, the person possesses a firearm in a licensed establishment. [2009, c. 447, §18 (AMD).]

[ 2011, c. 366, §2 (AMD) .]

2. For the purposes of this section, "licensed establishment" means a licensed establishment as defined by Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 15, the license for which is held by an on-premise retail licensee, as defined by Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 27, paragraph B. For the purposes of this section, "premises" has the same meaning as set forth in Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 24.
[ 1989, c. 917, §2 (NEW) .]

3. (CONFLICT: Text as amended by PL 2011, c. 298, §2) It is not a defense to a prosecution under subsection 1 that the person holds a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under Title 25, chapter 252.
[ 2011, c. 298, §2 (AMD) .]

3. (CONFLICT: Text as repealed by PL 2011, c. 394, §2)
[ 2011, c. 394, §2 (RP) .]

4. A law enforcement officer who has probable cause to believe that a person has violated subsection 1, paragraph B, may require that person to submit to chemical testing to determine an alcohol level or drug concentration. If the court is satisfied that the law enforcement officer had probable cause to believe that the defendant was in violation of subsection 1, paragraph B, and that the person was informed of the requirement to submit to chemical testing, the person's failure to comply with the requirement to submit to chemical testing is admissible evidence on the issue of whether that person was under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
[ 2009, c. 447, §19 (AMD) .]

5. For purposes of this section, "under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or a combination of liquor and drugs or with an excessive alcohol level" has the same meaning as "under the influence of intoxicants" as defined in Title 29-A, section 2401, subsection 13. "Excessive alcohol level" means an alcohol level of 0.08 grams or more of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood or 210 liters of breath. Standards, tests and procedures applicable in determining whether a person is under the influence or has an excessive alcohol level within the meaning of this section are those applicable pursuant to Title 29-A, sections 2411 and 2431; except that the suspension of a permit to carry concealed handguns issued pursuant to Title 25, chapter 252, or of the authority of a professional investigator licensed to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to Title 32, chapter 89, is as provided in those chapters.
[ 2011, c. 691, Pt. A, §17 (RPR) .]

6. Criminal possession of a firearm is a Class D crime. In addition, as part of every judgment of conviction and sentence imposed, the court shall:
A. Revoke any permit to carry a concealed firearm issued to the person so convicted; and [1989, c. 917, §2 (NEW).]

B. If the person so convicted is licensed as a professional investigator, suspend for a period of 5 years that person's permit to carry a concealed firearm. [2011, c. 366, §4 (AMD).]

A person convicted of a violation of this section is not eligible to obtain or apply for a permit to carry a concealed firearm for 5 years from the date of that conviction.
[ 2011, c. 366, §4 (AMD) .]

SECTION HISTORY1989, c. 917, §2 (NEW). 1995, c. 65, §A57 (AMD). 1995, c. 65, §§A153,C15 (AFF). 2009, c. 447, §§18-20 (AMD). 2011, c. 298, §§2, 3 (AMD). 2011, c. 366, §§2-4 (AMD). 2011, c. 394, §2 (AMD). 2011, c. 691, Pt. A,§17 (AMD).

Summary from handgunlaw.us with reference to law

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if the person possesses any firearm on the
premises of a licensed establishment for on-premises consumption of liquor and is posted to prohibit
or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of
patrons... (Title 17A Chapter 43 §1057)

Same section you quoted. Key is is it posted. IANAL

Summary from handgunlaw.us with reference to law

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if the person possesses any firearm on the
premises of a licensed establishment for on-premises consumption of liquor and is posted to prohibit
or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of
patrons... (Title 17A Chapter 43 §1057)

Same section you quoted. Key is is it posted. IANAL

That is what I said and a guy told me I was wrong that he worked at a bar and the liquor inspector told him it is illegal in Maine to have a gun in a bar.

That is what I said and a guy told me I was wrong that he worked at a bar and the liquor inspector told him it is illegal in Maine to have a gun in a bar.

and which would you consider a more authoritative source - a guy who said he worked at a bar and said the liquor inspector told him or the published statute?

and which would you consider a more authoritative source - a guy who said he worked at a bar and said the liquor inspector told him or the published statute?

Since I like my guns and not a lawyer I wanted to make sure! People keep saying I should loose my permit cause I didnt know the laws lol

I will concur. It is only illegal to CCW in a licensed establishment (any place that the state licenses to sell alcohol, bar, pub, restruant, etc. etc.) ONLY if it is posted. It is the only type of private property that has the force of law. All other private property that is posted does not have the force of law. I had a UMaine police officer tell me that it was illegal to CCW on UMaine property, and it is not. Oddly enough, he could not cite the statute.

Since I like my guns and not a lawyer I wanted to make sure! People keep saying I should loose my permit cause I didnt know the laws lol
Copy the words of the statute and tell them they are wrong and should learn to read.

The best way to "not lose your permit" is to conceal and not get in trouble, regardless of whatever the law says. Doing this makes the issue moot.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom