• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns Account for 1/3 of Increase in Suicide

Ah. I miss being in the military and having a twice yearly “don’t rape, don’t drive drunk and don’t kill yourself” class. Can’t take the subject seriously anymore.

Honestly, I don’t care. At least we’re seeing people do one thing to completion now.

One of the typical boomer (or near boomer) tropes is being trotted around this thread like a prized horse; "they're just special snowflakes". We all know there's totally no way there could have been major changes to our society over the last decade or two that might be affecting people differently, right? Maybe if the older people in our society were better stewards this wouldn't be happening. I place the blame for rising suicide rates of younger people squarely on the shoulders of the older generations, not guns.

One of the typical boomer (or near boomer) tropes is being trotted around this thread like a prized horse; "they're just special snowflakes". We all know there's totally no way there could have been major changes to our society over the last decade or two that might be affecting people differently, right? Maybe if the older people in our society were better stewards this wouldn't be happening. I place the blame for rising suicide rates of younger people squarely on the shoulders of the older generations, not guns.
So how do I become a "steward"? I keep telling people that if they want to commit suicide I'll hold all their guns except for the one that they plan to use. Am I doing enough? Jack.

A common cliche found is shit talking and picking on people who are by definition vulnerable.

Another common cliche is blaming kids these days, while also simultaneously being old enough to be the generation who raised this presumably failed generation. What the failure is, I'm not exactly sure, but thats been a cliche for as long as history as been recorded.

Guns have been around for centuries. Prescription psych meds and their widespread use/abuse have been around for decades. Gun-free Japan has the highest per-capita suicide rate. The preferred method is a length of rope.

For sure. Which is what the conversation should be. Guns end up being a tool used in an act that is going to happen either way. Blaming the method under the assumption that it wouldn't of happened otherwise is impossible to prove. All the suicides I've seen involved zero guns and methods that were thought out enough to result in death. With that in mind, I don't and can't blame firearms. Prescription medication is also another major problem in this equation, especially ones that make people essentially quasi chemical sedated.

Back
Top Bottom