Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
EJ
You better watch out, I have heard that Tolman wants to mandate that all currently owned guns will have to retrofitted with smart gun technology.

Where are you hearing that? Everything I can find reads "All new guns sold in Mass" would have to have the smart gun technology.

EJ
You better watch out, I have heard that Tolman wants to mandate that all currently owned guns will have to retrofitted with smart gun technology. I hope I am wrong. If that is the case I will be selling my collector guns out of state rather than ruin them. I would assume if this is true it would be done as a condition of selling a used gun in MA as I can't see them going door to door checking for smart gun tech in existing guns or having people at the ranges to check your guns.
I can see it now, the gun police are at the range, you have your smart gun watch on, they want you to hand them the gun to see if they can fire it without the watch, if it goes off - you go off to jail!
Yes, old "Chrome Dome" Tolman is infatuated with "smartgun" technology because he knows it's a tool he can use to kill legitimate private gun ownership in this state. Given the power of the AG's office, he is going to do his very best to make life miserable for us. On that you can be sure. But like you, I will never convert anything in my collection. I will do my best to comply with the crazy new laws and regs they will impose on us. But in the end, I will sell out of state and/or move out of state before I will submit to his absurd "smartgun" plans.

Can someone clarify for me where the "list what you got" comes from?

I understand Section 30 requires an affidavit, but there's nothing there that says the affidavit requires a list. Is there somewhere else that states that it's more than an attestation that no firearms were lost/stolen?

FWIW, The "list what you got" appeared in one of the first GOAL summaries of the Bill that came out right after DeLeo announced it... not sure where it came from prior to that-

FWIW, The "list what you got" appeared in one of the first GOAL summaries of the Bill that came out right after DeLeo announced it... not sure where it came from prior to that-
that wasn't a goal summary, they released it but it was DeLeo's summary before GOAL had a chance to go through the bill... you know because they weren't involved in any of the process until the bill started it's march through the legislature

Where are you hearing that? Everything I can find reads "All new guns sold in Mass" would have to have the smart gun technology.
I believe Tolman's plan is to limit the AG's top secret unpublished list to "smartguns" only. Whether or not he can get away with that is another matter... but this *is* the crazy "moonbat" state after all.

Then, if/when the new anti-gun bill passes eliminating private sales and requiring that every sale and transfer go through an FFL, the "Lists" kick in (per LenS's posted BATFE document above). That's the big "gotcha." [thinking]

that wasn't a goal summary, they released it but it was DeLeo's summary before GOAL had a chance to go through the bill... you know because they weren't involved in any of the process until the bill started it's march through the legislature

Then I'd stand corrected. It was my understanding that GOAL received the actual bill, and then digested it down into the summary before they released the summary.

ETA: It appears it may have been announced that way verbally in DeLeo's private room press conference prior to the actual text coming out a day or two later (with all due respect, I cannot establish the veracity of the report as I wasn't there... see back around post #696). My guess it was there at some point prior to what we see now about the YES/NO affidavit

Last edited:
Thus, as written, the new anti-2A bill will stop the sale of all handguns not on the published EOPS and the AG's secret "Lists." [frown]

Show of hands… Who here thinks that this ISN'T their goal?

I should expect that pointing this out to the typical, "progressive" lawmaker would elicit the response "well, of course, that's what those regulations should be doing in the first place".

at the risk of going from cynical to conspiracy theorist... I'd not be amazed if this wasn't crafted this way to get this past uninitiated MA Reps and Sens...

I mean seriously, most of these folks have no clue what the current MA laws are, let alone Fed/ATF statutes...

I honestly think you all are giving them too much credit for naivette and intent... this took 18 months to put together. If they were going to cobble this together kneejerk style (like NY and CT), they'd've been better served to strike while the metal was hot over a year ago while emotional support was much higher.

This was presented late in the session on purpose, the majority of folks will think it's innocuous to a minor inconvenience, and once it slips by and is actually law the "unintended" consequences will be discovered...

You say 18 months as if the committee must have been really hard at work the whole time. I imagine it is quite easy to do pretty much nothing for 18 months in the world of bureaucracy and committee meetings. It seems equally likely to me that the committee squandered and floundered around for majority of the 18 months and then said "oh shit, we've got to put something together" at the last minute. Without having any input from GOAL or any other legitimate firearms experts it is entirely plausible that in 18 months they could completely avoid acquiring any understanding of current state and federal laws.

I got a call from Rep. Hill's office today.
According to the person I spoke to, he is aware of the conflict with the ATF regs. and is opposed to the bill as written.

Nothing yet from Sen. Lovely. She has been very thorough in her avoidance of any semblance of awareness of gun issues.

I am turning into a one-issue voter (at least this year).

According to the person I spoke to, he is aware of the conflict with the ATF regs. and is opposed to the bill as written.

Nothing yet from Sen. Lovely. She has been very thorough in her avoidance of any semblance of awareness of gun issues.

agreed, lovely has a high chance of being for this bill, never answered any letters or calls of mine. i believe no one ran against her in this past election though. any takers?

at the risk of going from cynical to conspiracy theorist... I'd not be amazed if this wasn't crafted this way to get this past uninitiated MA Reps and Sens...

I mean seriously, most of these folks have no clue what the current MA laws are, let alone Fed/ATF statutes...

That is my impression that I am getting from my rep, she has read the bill but does not understand any of it

You say 18 months as if the committee must have been really hard at work the whole time. I imagine it is quite easy to do pretty much nothing for 18 months in the world of bureaucracy and committee meetings. It seems equally likely to me that the committee squandered and floundered around for majority of the 18 months and then said "oh shit, we've got to put something together" at the last minute. Without having any input from GOAL or any other legitimate firearms experts it is entirely plausible that in 18 months they could completely avoid acquiring any understanding of current state and federal laws.

Valid point, but I would counter that these people live in a world that involves re-election... I know that in this state that doesnt carry the weight it might in others. Still, they jockey for position, for stature, and are VEERrrry careful about what they say when the lights are on, and to who. Most have advanced degrees, and have learned to operate in world of backstabbing that would make a rat vomit.

I'll say it again, IF this was cobbled together at the last minute by morons, that actually concerns me more than if they took the entire year plus figuring out how to pull it off. I'm an engineer by training, and operate in a world of "is" or "isn't", "will" or "won't". I rarely dabble in intent, or "wouldn't it be nice if", or "what I meant was"... it either stands up, or it falls over. At the end of the day, the only thing that I have to judge their efforts by is what is actually written in the Bill, and what it WILL do. The notion that they had 18 months to design it, and at the eleventh hour accidentally managed to propose effectively outlawing FTF transfers is akin to accidentally discovering penicillin... or electricity... or fire.

Bravo.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Rep Walsh's office (6th District). I am going to paraphrase and I wasn't taking notes so I won't add conjecture, only the stuff I clearly recall:

1. Rep Walsh agrees with some of the bill, specifically regarding mental health.
2. He disagrees with other parts of the bill but we did not discuss which parts in particular. I asked specifically about FTF transfers and was told that that was one area which was of concern.
3. I was told that he is working with several other reps to speak to the leadership early next week to see what type of wiggle room there is to make changes.
4. His office are talking to Goal and listening to everyone who has called to air their concerns on the issue.

Let me re-iterate: They are listening and there will be a meeting early next week with other state reps and the leadership to see what can be changed.

I'm not going to slam Walsh as he's been incredibly responsive and helpful regarding two unrelated matters in the last year. He called me personally to ask my opinions regarding one and his aides are always responsive. From what I recall he's also an LTC holder. I was surprised to get a call back considering my original message was a hurried "The new gun bill sucks, I'm a no vote!" style voice mail I left him.

One of the things that they are concerned about is the lack of detail in the bill regarding execution of some of these points. They said that usually a bill is passed and then a different group takes care of implementation detail. This is one of the issues that Walsh wants to clear up next week.

Here is the response I received from my representative:

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your correspondence in regards to House Bill4121-An Act relative to the reduction of gun violence.

Many amendments will be filed before this bill is voted on and the final content of the legislation will likely be changed. There will also be alternative bills filed.

As a member of the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security, I will continue to follow this piece of legislation closely.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me on any matter that is of importance to you.

Most Sincerely,

Linda Dean Campbell
State Representative
15th Essex District

Thanks for the "boiler plate" response Linda. [rolleyes]

And from her bio "After being selected for active duty by the United States Army, Linda served in Germany for six years followed by two years as a paratrooper and an Intelligence Officer with the 525th Military Intelligence Brigade (Airborne), VIIIth Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. After eight years of active duty service, Linda left the Army to start a family..."

Look up her number https://malegislature.gov/People/Search and give her a call. My rep (Sean Garballey) didn't respond to my emails at all, and I suspect yours also just has some staffer keeping a count of emails for/against. I took the approach of not initially identifying my position, and first asked what parts of the bill they liked most/least. If you do the same, please report back so we know where she stands.

Look up her number https://malegislature.gov/People/Search and give her a call. My rep (Sean Garballey) didn't respond to my emails at all, and I suspect yours also just has some staffer keeping a count of emails for/against. I took the approach of not initially identifying my position, and first asked what parts of the bill they liked most/least. If you do the same, please report back so we know where she stands.

I initially sent an email and the next day got a call back from one of her aides. I have been unable to get her to come to the phone.

Linda Dean Campbell
State Representative
15th Essex District

And from her bio "After being selected for active duty by the United States Army, Linda served in Germany for six years followed by two years as a paratrooper and an Intelligence Officer with the 525th Military Intelligence Brigade (Airborne), VIIIth Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. After eight years of active duty service, Linda left the Army to start a family..."
Is she old enough and formally male to have been drafted? Was she a reservist who was called up then stayed? iIn ROTC? Seems like a bit of odd wording in there.

They should read the Massachusetts Gun Laws poster:

General Laws: CHAPTER 269, Section 11

This is SUPPOSED TO be posted in every city and town, and SUPPOSED TO be updated yearly (last was maybe 2008). It is also about 1/8 of the ACTUAL MA Gun Laws.

Good, but ...

Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?

Last edited:
If there was any doubt about Harold Naughton, this letter confirms he's not one of us

I received a letter in the mail today from Rep Naughton, responding to my mail urging him to do something reasonable with H4121.

Upon reading this, I have formed a new opinion of Mr. Naughton: He is dead to me. Before, I was just displeased with his position, now I am actively campaigning for his opponent. I was clear with him I would not support someone who could stand behind DeLeo's crap.

He may be a house rep, but he is no longer my rep.

NaughtonresponseH4121.jpg NaughtonresponseH4121pg2.jpg

Last edited:
I received a letter in the mail today from Rep Naughton, responding to my mail urging him to do something reasonable with H4121.

Upon reading this, I have formed a new opinion of Mr. Naughton: He is dead to me. Before, I was just displeased with his position, now I am actively campaigning for his opponent. I was clear with him I would not support someone who could stand behind DeLeo's crap.

View attachment 107501

Many saw this coming from him a long, long time ago. It should have been obvious based on the name of his bullshit "tour" alone.

View attachment 107501View attachment 107502

Translation: I am a "yes man" stooge. The speaker of the house handed me a bill and I did as I was told in order to get something passed by the end of this session. In doing so, I anticipate my parking space and office may be nicer next year.

http://goal.org/alert-defeat-chapter-180-part2.html alert issued by GOAL

6/26/14 Alert:

Please contact your house representative today and urge them to focus on two major sticking points:

• Oppose - Expansion of suitability to the issuance of FID cards. Currently there is no evidence that the suitability clause does anything to prevent or reduce crime. Giving MA chiefs of police more power over an already widely abused law is not acceptable.
  • Oppose - Empowering the Attorney General's office to have input over the Approved Firearms Roster. Rather than providing a solution this would only further complicate an already convoluted web of laws & regulations regarding the legal sale of common use firearms. It could also lead to the reduction of available quality firearms for purchase at Massachusetts retailers.
Please ask your representative to oppose the two above sections of H.4121.

Please ask your representative to contact Speaker DeLeo's office about these sections, ask them to tell Speaker DeLeo that these sections need to be cut from the bill or re-written.

Final note, the overwhelming volume on phone calls, faxes, emails and letters has had a tremendous impact within the walls of the State House. Your hard work has been noticed, please keep the pressure up for a few more weeks, let's finish this process!

wonder why we are down to these two. Because FTF are likely going away no matter what?
interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom