Gun show second guessing. Think I passed up on a pretty good deal today.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
When I go to an out of state gun show I typically just ignore handguns except if they look C&R. I went by one table in Manchester today and I recognized the guy as someone who's been at a few Mass shows. Skinny older gentlemen with very long grey hair. He had a good assortment of handguns and a few long guns. Smack dab in the middle of the handguns is a very sweet looking HK USP Tactical in 45acp, w' the flash hider mounted. Came with two mags, tools, extra bbl gasket, threaded cap for the bbl when the flash hider wasn't on and the factory soft case. All for $900. [shocked] I'm thinking, wow it must be nice to live in a free state and pay free state prices. The guy asks me if he can help me and I comment, "Any chance this available to us guys from Mass?" all the while figuring he's going to say no. To my immense surprise he say "Yes it is!" I should of just kept my mouth shut. I don't have $900 so I had to pass. Now I'm home thinking I should of just put the damn thing on a credit card and figure it as an investment. Ah well. Can't do anything about it now. I should of just bought the damned thing. [thinking]

The guy asks me if he can help me and I comment, "Any chance this available to us guys from Mass?" all the while figuring he's going to say no. To my immense surprise he say "Yes it is!"

Still, who's to say it was actually Mass-compliant? Though some NH dealers are well versed in MA laws, I've come across some dealers - in MA, let alone other states - who really don't care one way or another. Some people just want to make the sale regardless of its legality.

One Massachusetts FFL holder (to remain unnamed for obvious reasons) told me several months ago that he would accept shipment of, and transfer into my possession, any handgun purchased off Gunbroker.com, regardless of MA-compliance. Probably anticipating my raised eyebrows, he quickly said, rather defensively, "There aren't any laws against doing it, just recommendations [yes, that's the word he used], and I choose not to follow the recommendations."

Ay-yi-yi! I wonder how long he's been operating in that fashion. I scuttled away from that shop as fast as I could and haven't been back since.

That's not to place the guy you almost bought the HK from on a level with the dealer I mentioned. After all, you said you had seen him at MA shows in the past, so he probably knows what he's doing.

I think the thing that got me surprised the most is the cost. I've seen those same handguns for sale at Mass shops used for $1100-$1400. Since I've seen this guy in Ma shows, I'm fairly certain he knows what's going on and is probably a Ma dealer. For $900 to a MA resident was a complete steel, which is why I'm kicking myself. If anything I could of paid $900 and turned around and sold it next week for at least a $200 profit. Not that I would do that. I'd have to put a few thousand rounds through it first. You know, just to make sure it was safe. [smile]

Still, who's to say it was actually Mass-compliant? Though some NH dealers are well versed in MA laws, I've come across some dealers - in MA, let alone other states - who really don't care one way or another. Some people just want to make the sale regardless of its legality.

One Massachusetts FFL holder (to remain unnamed for obvious reasons) told me several months ago that he would accept shipment of, and transfer into my possession, any handgun purchased off Gunbroker.com, regardless of MA-compliance. Probably anticipating my raised eyebrows, he quickly said, rather defensively, "There aren't any laws against doing it, just recommendations [yes, that's the word he used], and I choose not to follow the recommendations."

Ay-yi-yi! I wonder how long he's been operating in that fashion. I scuttled away from that shop as fast as I could and haven't been back since.

That's not to place the guy you almost bought the HK from on a level with the dealer I mentioned. After all, you said you had seen him at MA shows in the past, so he probably knows what he's doing.

Isn't the dealer the one at fault? Once you have the firearm, unless it is in violation of the AWB, you are in legal possession of the firearm.

EDIT: oh also, if you were in NH.... was it a C&R then all the regs are out the window.... or was it pay now and pick up once back in MA?

Last edited:
Isn't the dealer the one at fault? Once you have the firearm, unless it is in violation of the AWB, you are in legal possession of the firearm.

True, doobie, but the simple fact is that I don't like being in close proximity to any illegal activity, even if, technically, as the recipient of the firearm, I would be in the clear, since there's nothing in the law that holds the transferee accountable for taking possession of a non-Mass-compliant handgun.

Edit: wasn't sure if you were talking about my rogue dealer or rockrivr's gunshow dealer - I now realize it's probably the latter.

Last edited:
If the dealer is willing to transfer it it, Rockrivr1 is doing nothing wrong by buying it, "proximity" or not.

True, doobie, but the simple fact is that I don't like being in close proximity to any illegal activity, even if, technically, as the recipient of the firearm, I would be in the clear, since there's nothing in the law that holds the transferee accountable for taking possession of a non-Mass-compliant handgun.

Edit: wasn't sure if you were talking about my rogue dealer or rockrivr's gunshow dealer - I now realize it's probably the latter.

I was referring to both actually.

If the dealer is willing to transfer it it, Rockrivr1 is doing nothing wrong by buying it, "proximity" or not.

Exactly. IF you find a dealer that's willing to transfer the firearm you wish and it doesn't break the AWB, there is no reason not to do the deal. You aren't breaking any laws. It's really pretty black and white. It's not "shady" from your perspective.

I would say that a dealer who is willing to transfer what you would like is an asset rather than a liability. It's simply up to you to be up to date on the law...but then it always was.

Bud Light Announcer: "Here's to you Mr. shall remain nameless FFL for bringing handguns with less than 10lb triggers to this state."

Survivor lead singer: "Screw you Attorney General"

Bud Light Announder: "Without you we'd have to get the same old S&W, Sigs and overpriced used Glocks"

Survivor lead singer: "ooooo, 3rd gen"

Bud Light Announcer: "Here's to you Mr. shall remain nameless FFL for bringing handguns with less than 10lb triggers to this state."

Bud Light Announder: "Without you we'd have to get the same old S&W, Sigs and overpriced used Glocks"

Haha, that's awesome! Rep points for you sir!

should have scuttled closer......

seriously. its that shops tail in the door, not yours.

did the OP specify if this was a NH or MA dealer?

i mean if its a MA dealer who just happens to be at a NH gun show with a pre date pistol then theres nothing about it.

if its a MA dealer with a new pistol that isnt MA compliant. its his buns in the toaster, not yours

if its an NH dealer who's just saying "yes" as either a way to get a quick buck or honest mistake about MA laws then wed have a problem

That means more illegal activity that I would be in the clear from and can benefit from. I can't see turning down anything that a MA dealer would be willing to transfer to me. Especially if it came from NH. That means better price, and more pre ban stuff coming into MA for all of us.

seriously. its that shops tail in the door, not yours.

did the OP specify if this was a NH or MA dealer?

i mean if its a MA dealer who just happens to be at a NH gun show with a pre date pistol then theres nothing about it.

if its a MA dealer with a new pistol that isnt MA compliant. its his buns in the toaster, not yours

if its an NH dealer who's just saying "yes" as either a way to get a quick buck or honest mistake about MA laws then wed have a problem

The dealer was a NH FFL, but with ties to a gun shop right over the border. (Place to remain nameless, but one that I've heard nothing but good things about) I would of picked up the gun on Monday at said gun shop to do the transfer to me. Payment to be made at time of pick up with a small down payment. Win/win all together.

As a side note, I have no qualms with the process. If I had a spare $900 I would of jumped all over it. Was thinking about it the whole show as I walked around.

One Massachusetts FFL holder (to remain unnamed for obvious reasons) told me several months ago that he would accept shipment of, and transfer into my possession, any handgun purchased off Gunbroker.com, regardless of MA-compliance.

They have a word to describe this guy, and that word is "patriot".

The limiting factor is the FFL bit. If the dealer was willing to move it through an MA FFL, then you could do the transfer, assuming THAT FFL was willing. If the "path" hasn't been fully persued then this may not have really been the deal you're thinking it was, unless that dealer had a way to legally (or at least semi legally!)roll the handgun over to you in MA.

FWIW when USP Tacs show up on this side of the fence, that's about the going rate they get anyways, I've seen two or three on the board here and they all were marked for less than $1000, or even if they started higher they ended up going lower than that. One was on here for literally months. They're rare, but the demand is pretty low.

-Mike

Last edited:

Yes, because an MA dealer willing to do people a favor (at his own peril, mind you) is such a terrible thing! [laugh]

-Mike

"Real men of genius..."

[rofl][laugh2]

EddieCoyle said:

They have a word to describe this guy, and that word is "patriot".

drgrant said:

Yes, because an MA dealer willing to do people a favor (at his own peril, mind you) is such a terrible thing!

I sense you both think I disapprove of what the dealer (mine, not rockrivr's) is doing. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know it takes guts to stand up as he's doing, and it's a great opportunity that some people would welcome. But, speaking only for myself, I tend to stay as far outside the blast radius as possible, so to speak.

Yup, the legal climate in this state has me thorougly cowed. I admit it.

Sorry for the thread drift, rockrivr. (Where's the embarrassed smiley, by the way?)

EddieCoyle said:

drgrant said:

I sense you both think I disapprove of what the dealer (mine, not rockrivr's) is doing. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know it takes guts to stand up as he's doing, and it's a great opportunity that some people would welcome. But, speaking only for myself, I tend to stay as far outside the blast radius as possible, so to speak.

Yup, the legal climate in this state has me thorougly cowed. I admit it.

Sorry for the thread drift, rockrivr. (Where's the embarrassed smiley, by the way?)

No problem at all. All legit concerns and you can only do what you feel comfortable with.

DrGrant - In your travels if you run into a HK USP Tactical in 45acp with all the goodies in the $900 range please PM or Email me ASAP!!!! I saw the one here on the board going for $1100, saw one up at Four Seasons for $1275 and also saw one at the Big E gun show going for $1400. My thoughts would be that $900s would be a steal with a potential to increase in price over the years.

Back
Top Bottom